Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UTSA Game

+19
PilotDrummer
wrv
VillaGorilla
PurplePrideTrumpet
Auto-Pilot
pms275
PilotNut
onetouchfutbol
Indigo Kid
uclabobby
slick
gxm
fozziewozzie
A_Fan
the20pointmay
purple haze
eProf
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UTSA Game - Page 2 Empty Re: UTSA Game

Post by Auto-Pilot Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Kassi didn't play either.
Auto-Pilot
Auto-Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-10-04

https://www.facebook.com/casero

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:08 pm

I thought Amanda F. would be the scoring leader after the first round of the tournament with her hat trick but it turns out Oregon State's freshman Jenna Richardson also had a hat trick in their win against Memphis.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:15 pm

That was fun. It worked out great, too as the first team got a lot of rest ahead of the Washington game, Sophie got a few minutes, and the reserves got into a playoff game.

My favorite was Taylor's goal where she came all the way from the wing to the middle of the 18, scored, then just stood there. It was as if she was saying, "What's the big deal? That wasn't that hard." Laughing
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:16 pm

What a beatdown. We simply out-skilled them at every position every minute of the entire game. I think at the end the Drum Squad had resort to using students from Corrado to wave the flag.

Although a demoralizing loss for the Roadrunners, they kept their heads up and soldiered on throughout the whole match. This should be a good learning experience for their program and benefit them down the road. Congratulations on making the tourney in only their fifth year of existence. I hope they appreciated the experience of a night match at Merlo. Class move on UTSA's part getting senior Chelsea Zimmerman on the field, knee brace and all. That had to feel good for her to step on the pitch one last time.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Midway through the second half the students started with Journey (Don't Stop Believin'), then moved on to Aladdin (A Whole New World) and Mulan (I'll Make A Man Out Of You). It was that kind of night.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Great result. Congrats to the team...

The game against UW will be much tougher...without a doubt. OSU also had a great 5-0 result.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 am

A History question: was this the largest margin of victory for us ever? Largest margin in the the playoffs?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:56 am

In 2003 we put up 8 against Portland State AND against USF. Also 8 against San Francisco in 2009. 6 appears to be the most in the playoffs since 2001 (in 2008, against Northern Arizona).
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:19 am

Was that fog or steam from the Kettle Corn Kettle?

Good game to hopefully get the Pilots into a continued goal scoring habit.

I had posted in a past thread that I believe "The Jessica Factor" would help lead this team to a final four birth. I think the 'Trenchcoat telepathic message' made it through. I noticed a greater push to have her involved in offensive plays. It appeared that the defense is shifting to allow the full movement up front for her. Great to see. I believe she was in on 2-3 of the goals lat night?

Great to see Sophie back. She was smiling from ear to ear. I mean, she just won the Concacaf tourney! Her presence is at a whole new level for the Pilots.

Kendra got hammered just after she got in. She got up, uninjured, so it was a good lesson hammering. I see her realizing that,' this is it'. Last night she appeared to move up to 80% strength. If she can move the extra 20% in the next two games it will be huge!

More later..... Trenchcoat
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:12 am

The students seem to have forgotten that two of their players are from Texas when doing their "We all make mistakes..." cheer.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:31 am

Fun game last night to see the sub's get so many minutes. I think Garrett had a majority of the starting unit out by 25 minutes into the first half. The last 20 minutes or so of the half looked a little ragged. However, the 2nd half looked remarkably more sharp. You could tell Garrett did some coaching at half time.
Presumably, everyone will be talking about Frisbie an her hat trick an deservedly so, she looked every bit the player we thought we recruited. What really struck me about her game was how she seemed to be everywhere an her vision on the pitch. She made some really nice passes that I think probably went unnoticed.
Secondly, Ellen Parker had probably the strongest game I've seen her play. I am officially sold on her. She showed the vision an attacking mid needs. One particular play near the top of the 18 yard box where she lofted a pass over the defenders heads in the second half. I dont think I've ever seen a play like that, goals yes, but not a pass in such tight quarters.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:55 am

One thing we haven't seen from Amanda yet is her 50-yard run down the sideline, Elli-style, to the net like she did in high school. Maybe next season.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jc Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:14 am

Sophie started up front, with Michelle C. at attacking mid. I think at this point this works best, but it was interesting to see that particular line-up rolled out for the first time in the play-offs. I'm guessing that we will see it again Sunday, with Sophie shifting based on the substitution pattern. I'm also guessing that Micaela and Kassi were held out to have at least two players fully rested for Sunday. Neither us nor the Huskies will have any advantage in the "rested' department this time. The starters for both teams had plenty of time to sit.
jc
jc
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:40 am

wrv wrote:A History question: was this the largest margin of victory for us ever? Largest margin in the the playoffs?

This game very well could be the largest margin in the playoffs, though I'm not sure.

The largest margin of victory ever was a 14-0 win over Western Washington in 1993. I distinctly remember being at Merlo Field for that game - they went through at least 3 or 4 different flag runners, because the poor guys couldn't handle sprinting to the end of the field and waving the flag that many times.

What's interesting is that Western Washington also holds the record for handing us our largest margin of defeat, 1n 8-0 drubbing in 1983. My, what a difference a decade makes.

Here is a PDF with all the historical info:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/documents/2010/8/20/2010_womens_soccer_info_guide.pdf
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:43 am

In the first half I had difficulty seeing the game through the fog when their dark colors sometimes blended with the darkness; it seemed at times as though the ball was being pushed along by a nearly invisible being, but with legs . . . saw enough in both halves to know that it was target practice on their goal, particularly in the second half. No goalie could have survived that barrage with their ego unaffected. Frisbie proved she is someone you do not want to let loose in that enviorment. If only that level of dominance could continue . . .

The game was so very lopsided . . . More games like that and we will need to legislate a mercy rule. BTW, even the UTSA ladies were smiling and clapping with some degree of sarcasm when at last a shot of theirs was on goal. Later though UTSA had a shot that required a diving save from Dees . . .a nice play that.

I noted too that Capelle did not play, but I have not seen an explanation? Was she being held out because it became obvious that winning was not at issue? I assume we would have heard if she was hurt in any way.

Thanks for the note Stonehouse. I see in the D1 soccer program that the largest margin of victory in the playoffs was Texas A&M over Texas State 10-0 in 2004, so this is likely our largest margin and the most goals scored by us in the playoffs. Western Washington is not D1: I suspect this may be the largest margin against a D1 school but I am speculating.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:50 am

We did not quote match the most lopsided victory in NCAA tourney history. TAMU beat Texas State in 2004 10-0.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:01 am

UW also beat us by 8 in 1983' and there is the famous 8-0 drubbing I flew down to Buck Shaw to witness in 1999

I think that is the worst defeat we ever suffered in the D1 era.

As to D1 schools, we beat New Mexico 10-0 in 1995, Oklahoma State 9-0 in 1999,

But the largest margins against a D1 team would have to be 12-0 wins against the Zags in 1992, 1993, and 1995.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:11 am

9 goals for the home team is the most I've ever seen the Pilots score. I asked for this game to have no suspense at all, and got my wish. From here on the goals get harder. Sunday will be a totally different case. So it's great to win a laugher, fog and all, and move on.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:34 am

Geezaldinho wrote:But the largest margins against a D1 team would have to be 12-0 wins against the Zags in 1992, 1993, and 1995.
I remember the 1995 game--Michelle French's first home game as a freshman. She ran the Zags ragged. UP was up 6-0 at the half, and scored three goals in the first few (5?) minutes of the second half on the way to a 12-0 result.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2