Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanford v. Portland

+18
Harry Redknapp
dwm
Auto-Pilot
pilotfan4ever
UPSoccerFanatic
uclabobby
Psychotic
FANatic
A_Fan
merlogirl
ktinpurple
GUPhantom
purple haze
fan from afar
scrfn
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
wrv
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stanford v. Portland - Page 2 Empty Re: Stanford v. Portland

Post by Auto-Pilot Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:15 am

I was a radio listener (Adam Linnman does a pretty good job - better than the WPS announcers!).

I had the feeling that we could have tied it with an additional 10 min. of stoppage time :-) We were finally stringing some passes together. I agree with GUPhantom regarding our best defense is our offense. Stanford was aggressive in intercepting passes and winning the 50-50 balls. The Pilots have to do better against high-pressure teams. We did a great job against Texas A&M.

It would be nice to get the #1 seed, but all is not lost. We can do just as much damage without it.

One good thing - I was very happy to see Dani score the goal!

I heard Courtney Verloo's name much too frequently.
Auto-Pilot
Auto-Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-10-04

https://www.facebook.com/casero

Back to top Go down

Post by dwm Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:27 am

I don't remember hearing the name Olivier. She did not play, right? But did play Thursday? Any idea what sort of injury she may have?

Having her, Kendra, and/or Kendall back and in good shape would make a big difference in a rematch. I'll bet it especially frustrated Kendall to not play against Verloo, her long-time teammate on club and national teams.

dwm
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:39 pm

There's been a lot of talk on this site about speed an the importance thereof. A subtext of that appears to be that Dani is not quick and that is part of the reason she is not doing well and should be on the bench.

It's my opinion that while she is not as fast a runner as many on the team what she does do is move the ball with speed. Her ability to play one-touch passes and to lay the ball off when her back is to the goal has improved exponentially since her FR year.

I'm hoping that we see more of her - and in the starting line up - again soon.

It's my contention that moving the ball quickly is more important that running fast with it - although in an ideal world you have both (Elli, Kendra come to mind).
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:51 pm

'arry,
I agree with you about Dani. I've also noticed when she has come into game since being benched, she possesses the ball in the box better than anyone and makes great passes. Whether she starts or not, she is a key component of this team. Having Dani on the bench just makes us that much more deeper and dangerous!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:05 am

Something that no one has mentioned so far, but that I think showed on Saturday:

After chasing a lot in the first half, and having had a much tougher game on Thursday (Cal) than Stanford (Hawaii), one would think the Pilots would have been the more tired team in the second half on Saturday. That's certainly what I was thinking going into the second half. It wasn't the case. Stanford looked the more tired team. It appeared to me that the Pilots are significantly more fit than Stanford.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:30 pm

GUPhantom wrote:Stanford outshot Portland 17-6, including 11-1 in the first half? Hello? This was the stat that puzzled me?

I don't know. The Pilot's offense has always been its defense. If they're not looking for a goal and focused on defense (particulary in the first half)...well.... I don't see this team as one that can counter very well....especially if they have to makeup for 2 goals against a good team like Standford. Yes they fell behind against Cal...but they were always offensive-minded and it only was a matter of time. But as its been described by those who were there versus Stanford...the strategy seemed to be defend 1st and counter 2nd. But, the Pilots are not a defend and quick-strike type of team. I've never seen Pilots play a back-off strategy on purpose right off the bat....anyone?

Well...let's hope they the Cardinal soak in their victory and take Santa Clara lightly. We all know better than to do that. Never ever...

GO PILOTS!!!

Defnitely some good points. When I think back to all of the programs' early trips to the Final 4 before we advanced, the team took on a more conservative style...and I used to wonder if Clive felt we didn't have the talent to match up with UNC (until we finally broke through with Christina Sinclair's team). I feel like those days are over now, and we can play with anyone. I personally don't think that few coaches say, "Let's not be too aggressive; let's counter attack." But, I'm sure some do. I think the reality is when you play a 4-4-2 like many teams do these days, the outside midfielders tend to press forward more against inferior competition. And when they play a better team, they stay back more and defend. I didn't see the game, so, I'm sure other people have some more insight to offer...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fwill Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:37 pm

I missed both games this weekend, but want to thank those who posted their insights. I was wondering how we would do against Stanford; it looks like the tree rightly deserves a #1 ranking.

I still think we have very good odds of making it all the way to the College Cup this year, even without a #1 seed.
fwill
fwill
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:24 pm

The Pilots won the second half as they've done all year against all comers. Too bad the first half set them back one goal too many. Overcoming 2-0 on the road is tough. Nearly succeeding against these odds proves the Pilots are still a team to be reckoned with -- as if we needed more proof. I think the Ducks are going to see a fierce and determined Pilots team Friday night.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Hattrick for Dani on Friday. You heard it here first.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 pm

I'll be there for that, Harry. Hat included.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:42 pm

wisconsin was kind of lucky looking at the highlight video. Minn put one header just over the crossbar and hit the crossbar on the underside from close range.

sunny

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2