Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teams leaving court for National Anthem?

+6
mattywizz
MesaPilot1
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
ShipstadPilot11
PilotDrummer
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Anthem - Teams leaving court for National Anthem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Teams leaving court for National Anthem?

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:07 pm

From Rev today

People advocate for US flags on uniforms but not importance of teams being out for anthem. Shouldn't teams always be present for anthem?
5 hours ago
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Anthem - Teams leaving court for National Anthem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Teams leaving court for National Anthem?

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:From Rev today

People advocate for US flags on uniforms but not importance of teams being out for anthem. Shouldn't teams always be present for anthem?
5 hours ago
Have I mentioned how glad I am that we have Rev?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
PurpleGeezer wrote:From Rev today

5 hours ago
Have I mentioned how glad I am that we have Rev?

I think that if a team leaves the court for the anthem the crowd should sing it during their intros.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:57 am

It was a long time ago, but we always lined up as a team to cover our hearts and keep our eyes on the flag during the playing of the National Anthem; it still happens at many of the women’s games.

I heard this was WCC policy, but I was also told our pompoms were purple. clown
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11259
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:15 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I was also told our pompoms were purple.
This really frustrates me. They are quite clearly green. If we use them today it will be an embarrassment. Maybe if we got green pom poms they would look purple... Beating a Dead Horse
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:50 pm

PURPLE POM POMS!!!!!!!! cheers

Thanks marketing department, you got the message and ran with it.

When I personally congratulated the "dance team" before the game's start, they acted as if I was an old man who had just dropped-in from outer space alien , but I least they know that "we sure like your pom poms." Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:15 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:When I personally congratulated the "dance team" before the game's start, they acted as if I was an old man who had just dropped-in from outer space alien
Well, they were half right.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:59 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:When I personally congratulated the "dance team" before the game's start, they acted as if I was an old man who had just dropped-in from outer space alien
Well, they were half right.
Maybe they were 100% right; those trips outside our known solar system become more and more frequent the older I get. pirat

But, at least I was at today's game! Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Oddly, the title of this topic became relevant once again today as USF was nowhere to be seen when the National Anthem was played. Not a classy move. I hope our guys never do that when they're on the road.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:22 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Oddly, the title of this topic became relevant once again today as USF was nowhere to be seen when the National Anthem was played. Not a classy move. I hope our guys never do that when they're on the road.

Santa Clara did it too.

After what Rev said yesterday I think they'll stay on the floor for the anthem.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Maybe teams should leave! Just watched the anthem for the NFC Championship game. During the anthem, as various players and coaches from each team were shown on the in-stadium screen, the SF fans loudly booed or cheered depending which team was shown. Wow. Shocked NFL fans are a piece of work.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:36 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Oddly, the title of this topic became relevant once again today as USF was nowhere to be seen when the National Anthem was played. Not a classy move. I hope our guys never do that when they're on the road.

Santa Clara did it too.

After what Rev said yesterday I think they'll stay on the floor for the anthem.
Update: both Gonzaga and the Pilots were on the floor for a rousing rendition of the National Anthem Thursday night. Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Always looking for the positives in our athletic endeavors, I'm happy to report that starting with the GU game and through the BYU and LMU games, all teams have remained on the court for rousing renditions of the National Anthem. cheers

Thank you, Rev for putting emphasis on something that may be trivial to some, but only because it hasn't been emphasized for many years anywhere.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 am

Is it standard practice at other schools for the anthem to be performed so far in advance of tip-off?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:37 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Is it standard practice at other schools for the anthem to be performed so far in advance of tip-off?
For TV games, yes, the anthem is usually done around the 12 minute mark prior to tip-off.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Is it standard practice at other schools for the anthem to be performed so far in advance of tip-off?

For TV games it's done early at most places. When the Pilots aren't on TV, or for women's games, we do it at the end of warmups, but the networks want to be ready to tip right after player intros.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2