Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St. Marys Gaels @ Portland, Saturday 6pm

+14
SamanthaGaels
Geezaldinho
mattywizz
PilotDrummer
ShipstadPilot11
pilotram
MesaPilot1
DJ Sherman
goldhelmet
VillaGorilla
DaTruRochin
Rob's Jacket
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

St. Marys Gaels @ Portland, Saturday 6pm - Page 2 Empty Re: St. Marys Gaels @ Portland, Saturday 6pm

Post by PilotDrummer Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks Geez. Knew I could count on you. Very Happy
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

St. Marys Gaels @ Portland, Saturday 6pm - Page 2 Empty Re: St. Marys Gaels @ Portland, Saturday 6pm

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:15 pm

SO WHERE DOES IT STAND NOW?????????????????????????????????

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 pm

We've both lost to each other once and twice to Gonzaga. It's my understanding that it would fall to RPI, where they've got us.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Regarding the tie-breaker, I think it would go like this:

Since, SMC and UP split their series 1-1, then, as Geezer corectly stated,
it would go to how both teams fared against the top finishers in conference.

1. Gonzaga - SMC and UP both 0-2.
2. Then, assuming UP and SMC were tied for 2nd, it would go to the 4th
place team, and so on, until the tie is broken.
Right now, I believe that is USF, and both teams are 1-0 so far.

3. If it can't be broken, then it would go to RPI. If both teams win out at 11-3,
then SMC and UP would both be 2-0 against everyone but Gonzaga (both 0-2) and
each other (both 1-1), so it would go to RPI. SMC would win that scenario, despite
tonight's crucial win. It's just too much ground to make up in four conference games
(unless, of course, SMC completely falls apart which is highly unlikely - but in that
case there would be no need for a tie-breaker Very Happy).

Let's just hope we can take care of biz, win out, and SMC stubs their toe somewhere. Much
stranger things have happened in the WCC over the years - a fact to which those who have followed this
conference long enough can certainly attest .

Last edited by goldhelmet on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 pm

goldhelmet wrote:Regarding the tie-breaker, I think it would go like this:

3. If it can't be broken, then it would go to RPI.

I'm going with this until we can Monday Morning Quarterback this whole mess...its a nice sunny mess for the Pilots though!!!

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:33 pm

I tried to say what GoldHelmet said, but he said it better
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

St. Marys Gaels @ Portland, Saturday 6pm - Page 2 Empty Great win, Pilots.

Post by SamanthaGaels Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Enjoyed the game and the joy in the crowd for their Pilot win...would have loved to pull it out, but we were outplayed.

Congrats...good luck and see you in Vegas...

SamanthaGaels

SamanthaGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Coach Rev got it wrong! From his tweets:
# We were very good in spurts tonight and got the win against San Diego. Need to put together a very good 40 mins on Sat. against St. Mary's. 12:34 AM Feb 12th from web
Obviously 45 good minutes were required! Great job by the team to pull this one out. Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:30 pm

The write-up from Jim Beseda on O-Live:
The Portland Pilots aren’t in the habit of handing out game balls, but Luke Sikma was deserving of one Saturday night.

And that’s just based on what the junior backup forward did in overtime.

Sikma scored the go-ahead basket with 47.9 seconds remaining and then came up with a crucial steal –- his second during overtime –- helping lift the Pilots to an 80-75 West Coast Conference victory over the Saint Mary’s Gaels at the Chiles Center.

T.J. Campbell finished with a team-high 24 points and Jared Stohl added 16 for the Pilots, but it was Sikma’s play at the end of regulation and his go-ahead basket, two defensive rebounds and two steals in overtime that spelled the difference.

“Luke’s a very good player, and you need your good players to make plays,” Pilots coach Eric Reveno said. “People talk about him not starting and this and that, but he’s someone that we needed to play well and he’s been very good for us. The overtime was no different tonight.”

With the victory, the Pilots (16-8, 7-3 WCC) earned a split of the season series and climbed within a half game of the Gaels (21-5, 8-3) in the race for second place with four conference games remaining.

Mickey McConnell led Saint Mary’s with a game-high 25 points, and Omar Samhan added 18 points and 14 rebounds before fouling out with 1:31 to play and the Gaels clinging to a 75-74 lead.

“We really wanted to win this one,” said Sikma, who finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds. “It’s a big win now, but we’ve still got a lot of work to do.”

Tied at 75-75, Sikma made one of his biggest defensive plays of the night when he tipped the ball away from McConnell, dove on the floor to get it, and then called timeout with 59 seconds to play.

After the timeout, Campbell drew a crowd as he drove the right side of the lane before finding Sikma wide open on the left side for an easy lay-in that gave the Pilots a 77-79 lead.

“T.J. being the great passer that is he found me for a pretty easy bucket,” Sikma said.

Too easy in the eyes of Saint Mary’s coach Randy Bennett.

“We didn’t do a good enough job defensively when we needed to,” Bennett said. “If we’re not going to defend better than that, then we’re not going to win these games against good teams.”

After Ethan Niedermeyer made one of two free throws to push the Pilots’ lead to three, 78-75, Saint Mary’s Matthew Dellavedova drove hard to the basket and then tried to get the ball to Ben Allen for a three-point shot, but Sikma deflected the pass.

Sikma redirected the ball to Campbell, who was fouled and made both free throws with 8.3 seconds left to put the game away.

“I just found myself in the right place at the right time,” said Sikma, who finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds. “It was really all turned out well for us.”

The Gaels trailed by as many as 13 points, 53-40, early in the second half, but rallied to take a 72-70 lead on a basket by Samhan with 39 seconds left.

After the Pilots tied it on a lay-in by Campbell with 25.7 seconds left, the Gaels had a chance to win at the end of regulation, but Sikma stepped in front of a driving McConnell and drew a charge with 4.7 seconds left to force overtime.

"As a body of work, I thought it was a really good game," Reveno said. "For us to hold the best assist—to-turnover team in the conference to 12 assists and 15 turnovers, and then counter that with 16 assists and five turnovers ourselves, that was the game. The outcome was all about making plays late."

Another game ball should go to Jasonn Hannibal, the 6-foot-10, 270-pound junior center from Mississauga, Ontario, who made a huge impact with six points, a rebound, an assist and a blocked shot in 13 minutes off the bench.

When Hannibal first came into the game with at the 8:50 mark of the first half, the Pilots were trailing by seven, 23-16. He was on the floor for less than four minutes, but scored two baskets and played some solid defense against Samhan during that stretch as the Pilots pulled even at 25-25.

"That was big," Reveno said. "I think the key there was trusting him to be a good defender and make plays. The offense was a bonus, and then it gave our other guys some rest. We were trying to run at them a little bit there, but we were wearing T.J. and Jared down doing that."

Hannibal's play not only sent a jolt through the crowd of 2,774, but it also helped light a fire under the Pilots, who closed the half on a 15-2 run to go in front 44-35 at the break.

Hannibal then found himself back on the floor at the start of overtime and he scored the first basket to give the Pilots a 74-72 lead.

With the shot clock about the expire, McConnell threw up a wild three-point shot from the right wing that banked in to put the Gaels on top 75-74.

Samhan then drew his fifth foul when he bumped Robin Smeulders, who made one of two free throws to tie the score and set the stage of Sikma's heroics.

"I don’t think we let the lead get away at the end of regulation," Reveno said. "I think they made plays, so I didn’t feel like we’d lost momentum. We were in a brawl and battling away. We weren’t deflated at all. All the guys had big smiles. And five minutes is a long time.

"As it went to overtime, there was a sense of satisfaction that we were playing a good team, we were playing well, and you just enjoyed the moment. I would have been disappointed if that banked three would have been the reason we lost."

-- Jim Beseda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:45 pm

goldhelmet wrote:Regarding the tie-breaker, I think it would go like this:

3. If it can't be broken, then it would go to RPI. If both teams win out at 11-3,
then SMC and UP would both be 2-0 against everyone but Gonzaga (both 0-2) and
each other (both 1-1), so it would go to RPI. SMC would win that scenario, despite
tonight's crucial win. It's just too much ground to make up in four conference games
(unless, of course, SMC completely falls apart which is highly unlikely - but in that
case there would be no need for a tie-breaker Very Happy).

Let's just hope we can take care of biz, win out, and SMC stubs their toe somewhere. Much
stranger things have happened in the WCC over the years - a fact to which those who have followed this
conference long enough can certainly attest .

SMC has a road game against last place, banged up USD, and then home games against Pepperdine and LMU. I am afraid I don't see much opportunity for any stumble on their part; they are too good to give up the #2 seed with a sleepwalking performance. Hope is not gone, but it is hanging by a thread.
We are the U of P!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Haha. Watching the DVR of the game (yes, I am sick), the "broadcasting legend" Kevin Calabro identified Nem Mitrovic as a walk-on freshman from Ft. Collins. Oh, those confusing Eastern European names! Laughing

Last edited by up7587 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Yeah I noticed that too... Lucky for him, Luke had a nice game so he could default on Jack and Bellevue related commentary St. Marys Gaels @ Portland, Saturday 6pm - Page 2 Icon_razz That said, I'll take Calabro any day over KJR reject Brian Wheeler...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:58 pm

up7587 wrote:The write-up from Jim Beseda
What Beseda said.

I knew the guys could pull out a tight WCC game. Nights like these are why I keep coming back to the Pilots all these years.

As it went to overtime, there was a sense of satisfaction that we were playing a good team, we were playing well, and you just enjoyed the moment.

I love Rev's attitude. Sounds like something a certain Pilot coach turned legend would say.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:04 am

DaTruRochin wrote: I'll take Calabro any day over KJR reject Brian Wheeler...
Me too. That's one smooth voice. Cool Some of the students were going "ZOMG Kevin Calabro he used to do Sonics games I listened to him all the time!"

Speaking of the students, they were standing up most of the game. Getting 3-4 rows in front to stand the whole game will force the rest of the section to stand up if they want to see. The next step is getting them all to cheer.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:05 am

SMC has a road game against last place, banged up USD, and then home games against Pepperdine and LMU. I am afraid I don't see much opportunity for any stumble on their part; they are too good to give up the #2 seed with a sleepwalking performance. Hope is not gone, but it is hanging by a thread.
We are the U of P![/quote]

I would agree with your assessment - not vey likely the Gaels will lose one of those three.

But like I said, I've seen stranger things happen over the years in the WCC. The most important thing
is to be playing well at tournament time and to have everyone healthy. If we end up playing on Saturday,
we have one extra game to win.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by martymoose Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:21 am

Very nice win tonight.

Cheers to you guys.

:-)
martymoose
martymoose
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:36 am

Great win tonight by the Pilots... Luke was just money, and Jasonn was great in the minutes played.

Lets win out now.... and face the Gaels again in Vegas with our leading scorer back!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:54 am

Tough loss for Mickey, Omar, and the Aussies there Samatha, until we meet again!!! VEGAS BABY, VEGAS BABY, like the kids say its gonna be "Krunk time" in Vegas (Did I say that right SS11,lol) . Thanks for the Cheers! Marty Moose. Good luck to our cross-town rivals in the remainder of their schedule.

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:04 am

Photos, anyone:
http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/content/bb/mc-bb/g-mc-bb/portland-80-vs-saint-marys-75.shtml?38452
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:58 am

BTW, Drummer, nice close-up of the cowbell on ESPN2!

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:32 am

PilotDrummer wrote:Photos, anyone:
http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/content/bb/mc-bb/g-mc-bb/portland-80-vs-saint-marys-75.shtml?38452

Whats the origins of this service Drummer, and are they a nationwide service? I know I always appreciate it when you post these still pictures of the players, theres something about a still that a TV broadcast can't duplicate. (I guess it's us guys who grew up with the paper on your front porch, paper routes , and before ESPN and Cable became prominant in 1980's). We used to have to rely on the newspaper the next day with pic's, and were at the mercy of NBC,CBS or ABC for limited Regional and sometime Notre Dame-UCLA-North Carolina national College Basketball programing.

MesaPilot1 sunny 75 degrees and Sunny!!!

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:40 am

up7587 wrote:BTW, Drummer, nice close-up of the cowbell on ESPN2!
Awesome.

I never know if I'm on air or not, but I remember the camera being in that vicinity at one point. I should've set the DVR.

MesaPilot1 wrote:Whats the origins of this service Drummer, and are they a nationwide service?
Mesa, I'm not sure, but in looking through the galleries there are photos from all over. I had a chance to chat with the photographer the last few games, pretty nice guy.

If we weren't in our nosebleed seats, I'd be shooting more. It's just so hard to get good photos from where I stand...but since we're on the floor in Vegas, I'll definitely be posting shots. Razz
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:19 am

Latest Rev tweet:
Asked my wife if
our friends she brought to the St. Mary's game enjoyed it. Her response
was "Everyone enjoys a good OT win." Smart woman.

Haha sounds like the Reveno's picked a good game to bring friends to (and not to mention 2 recruits...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:24 pm

So it’s taken me awhile to compose myself enough to write about all the emotions of being back at the Chiles Center last night, but here goes:

During the timeout after Omar Samhan hit that baseline jumper to give St. Mary’s the lead with 40 seconds left, I bowed and tried to pray. I’m not usually one for public religious displays, but after all the heartbreak, all the disappointments of the last fifteen years, we had come to far to be let down again.

I started a Hail Mary, then stopped two words in. Definitely the wrong prayer when you’re playing against St. Mary’s. So I said an Our Father.

Now, I’m not saying God won the game yesterday – I try not to believe that the divine has a rooting interest in sports – but there was definitely some special energy in the Chiles last night. Granted, I’ve been away for awhile, but I’ve never seen a Portland crowd rise to their feet in unison, exhorting a clearly gassed Pilots team to just hang on for five more minutes. It was like all 2700+ people saying, “We believe in you,” and I think everybody on the bench picked up on that.

The entire crowd (at least from what I could see) was on their feet for the last minute of overtime. Seriously, how cool was that? For all the complaining we do about Chiles Center crowds – and most of it is deserved – everybody in attendance brought it last night, from the students standing and rocking the whole game to outstanding band to the old lady high-fiving me to my next door neighbor, who was seated next to a St. Mary’s fan with a large banner and remarkably shrieky voice – and compensated by yelling just as loud for the Pilots. People really underestimate how loud the Chiles can get. Now we have to keep it up.

As for the game itself, all I can say is wow. I’m so glad we as fans don’t have to pick a player of the game, since it was a total team effort. T.J. did what T.J. does, score and create. Jared continued his outstanding play, sparking that huge run to end the first half. Luke had perhaps the greatest all-around clutch performance of any Pilot post I’ve ever seen.

But I have to reserve a special status for Jasonn Hannibal. Aside from a few less than meaningful minutes here and there, Jasonn has been married to the bench these last 2+ years. But he was a leader last night. He got good inside position on both offense and defense, hit two shots in the first half, and played outstanding defense on Omar Samhan. The two times he did get beat, he fouled – hard – making sure there was zero chance for an and-one. He won possession to start overtime, hit a tough jumper over Samhan in OT, and fired up the bench, the students, and the entire crowd with his play. Maybe, just maybe, this is where he turns the corner.

When Luke got the steal and T.J. got fouled with 10 seconds left, I actually had to sit down because I was feeling weak in the knees. As I explained to my friend Ben, who came up with me from Salem for the game, I’ve never seen, in person, the Pilots beat a team that was better than them. I’ve been to 11 Gonzaga games, I sat through an eerily similar SMC game back in 2004-05, and I’ve missed the times we’ve beaten Oregon. The whole train ride back to Salem, I kept saying to myself, “They actually did it. Hot damn, they actually did it.”

It’s moments like these that make all the heartbreak of being a Pilots basketball fan important. To finally see them not fold under pressure, to see them hit big shots, to see them play great defense – it’s all so valuable. Every minute of it is something to appreciate, because you never know what might happen next year.

Sorry for the Mesa-length post. I’m not quite as good at it as he is. Wink Let’s win out, go to Vegas, and beat the Gaels.

I want another shot at those Zags.

GO PILOTS!!!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:05 pm

Excellent Post,and I don't know how you well educated people from UP and other colleges in the Northwest put up with me sometimes but you do. I guess it's since I've switched my allegiance from Lute Olson's Wildcats and support the Stanford man Eric Reveno,lol.Plus, I know you know who and have sometimes provided "inside information"not always available to the general fan/public. Hang with me my comprehension and writing skills are up to about the 6-7th grade because of your guys help,lol.

One thing I am is entertaining, even if you agree, disagree, or are indifferent of me.

I wish more lurkers would post, really, I would enjoy more input instead of my yapper Beating a Dead Horse ,

MesaPilot1

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ,,,,,)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next