Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vote Lindsey Huie!

+5
KFTC
mattywizz
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
9 posters

Go down

Vote Lindsey Huie! Empty Vote Lindsey Huie!

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Vote for Lindsey to be honored as the 25th member of the WCC 25th Anniversary Team!

UP Release/info: LINK.

Vote here: LINK.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Vote Lindsey Huie! Empty Re: Vote Lindsey Huie!

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Hmmmm, there seems to be some very strange voting going on... the USF candidate's votes are highly suspect, with as quickly as they are racking up... Suspect

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:50 pm

PilotNut wrote:Hmmmm, there seems to be some very strange voting going on... the USF candidate's votes are highly suspect, with as quickly as they are racking up... :s
suspect:

Yeah, it looks fishy...

not that I would condone anything like that, but it appears you can vote once in each browser you present.

I haven't cheched on other safeguards, like turning off cookies.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:58 pm

really, it makes me wonder why internet voting is used for ANYTHING any more... at least put some safeguards on there. sheesh. No

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Uh yeah... I'm not computer genius, but it took me 2 seconds to figure out how to log multiple votes. (Sigh... Not again...)

Honestly on these sites, without requiring an email address verification or something, you are going to be able to manipulate the voting...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Already 12,000+ votes? Sounds like she just has a really big family and lots of friends. I'm sure it's all on the up and up.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Alright, have they announced the first 24, or are they revealing them all at once? I am kinda lazy and dumb, so I spent about 30 seconds looking for a list and didn't find it, so I gave up. Methinks that if Lindsey Huie is up for a spot we have at least 3-4 other women on the team, which wouldn't be too bad...considering 25 women leaves 3 for each team, if my math is correct (since I'm lazy and dumb, it probably is not).
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:44 pm

They seem to have fixed the problem, now requiring the input of the verification sequence... Are they starting over in the count?

(Couldnt they see this coming, particularly with other similar incidents recently?!)

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:01 am

Well at least they reacted quickly to the rather obvious issue...

But yeah, any time there are awards like this, online fan voting is an inherently flawed system...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:34 am

Alright, have they announced the first 24, or are they revealing them all at once?

From the WCC Release:
Among the most notable components of the campaign is a WCC 25th Anniversary Team, counting down the top 25 greatest female athletes in WCC history. A voting panel consisting of Senior Woman's Administrators from each WCC campus, conference staff, and select media will decide the top 24 spots of the 25th Anniversary Team. The 25th spot will be selected by fans via an online poll on WCCsports.com from December 8-20, 2009.

My guess is once the fan vote is completed they'll send out a weekly release counting down from #25, release 3-4 names a week to have a big reveal for the #1 at the WCC Tournament? Just wild speculation.

My guesses for Portland are Lorena Legarde and maybe Deena Lansing/ Martha Sheldon (BX), possibly Nicole Karr (XC), Tiffeny Milbrett (SOC), Shannon MacMillan (SOC), and Christine Sinclair (SOC). And if Huie snags the fan vote, her too. Since they are culling from all sports for every school, I can see us only putting in one player from the other sports, if any at all, to balance out the three soccer player--because face it, there's no way those three players, with their qualifications and records, are not in the Top 25, and no other athlete from Portland should bump them out. You can probably expect Brandi Chastain, and a dogfight between Aly Wagner, Mandy Clemens and Jen Lalor from Santa Clara. But right there, including Huie and the SCU maybes, there's 8 soccer players for a list of 25 athletes for a conference that's trying to spotlight its' diversity and excellence in women's sports.

It'll be interesting if the WCC releases any criteria at all for being selected to this team because the conference has clearly produced a plethora of standout student-athletes across the spectrum of sports, and they'll want every sport represented by at least two to three student-athletes, I'd guess. It probably wouldn't be wise to release the criteria since lists like these tend to be very subjective and highly debatable, kind of like how selecting the seeds is for the NCAA Women's Soccer Tournament Committee.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Well at least they reacted quickly to the rather obvious issue...

But yeah, any time there are awards like this, online fan voting is an inherently flawed system...

Now they have managed to slow down an automated cheating system.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:51 am

Haha, yeah, I know.... I was just pretending like it actually made a huge difference...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:06 am

KFTC wrote:
Alright, have they announced the first 24, or are they revealing them all at once?

From the WCC Release:
Among the most notable components of the campaign is a WCC 25th Anniversary Team, counting down the top 25 greatest female athletes in WCC history. A voting panel consisting of Senior Woman's Administrators from each WCC campus, conference staff, and select media will decide the top 24 spots of the 25th Anniversary Team. The 25th spot will be selected by fans via an online poll on WCCsports.com from December 8-20, 2009.

My guesses for Portland are Lorena Legarde and maybe Deena Lansing/ Martha Sheldon (BX), possibly Nicole Karr (XC), Tiffeny Milbrett (SOC), Shannon MacMillan (SOC), and Christine Sinclair (SOC). And if Huie snags the fan vote, her too.

I agree with your general premise that there isn't much room after the Soccer Gods for Portland. I doubt even Legarde's 2568 points will do it for her, since she only played 1 year of the "last 25 years" criteria (1981-1985) and the current media guide has UP only joining the conference in Basketball for the 1987-88 season. I'd also suggest that Laura Sale might be a candidate.

Tiff might not even make it, (gasp) because for the first two years of her career, UP wasn't in the WCC for soccer.

Wouldn't that be something? An all time list without her?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:12 am

Purplegeezer wrote:Wouldn't that be something? An all time list without her?

Kind of like a room filled with plaques without her name on any of them? I've heard rumors of just such a place....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:29 am

DaTruRochin wrote:
Purplegeezer wrote:Wouldn't that be something? An all time list without her?

Kind of like a room filled with plaques without her name on any of them? I've heard rumors of just such a place....

unthinkable.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:38 am

Well it is not in the room you are talking about but I have seen this one:

Vote Lindsey Huie! 2980728032_364fcb9d51_b
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Nike campus?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:50 am

bump. Vote every day!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 pm

A little reading from 2005 in This Blog ...

Anyway, my beloved Portland Pilots Women's Soccer team finds themselves on their way to the College Cup, a carnation of the NCAA sports marketing group, as the Final Four, its previous name, is a thing reserved only for basketball. Let's just get all this straight, for crying out loud. And I think it's okay with the Pilots, because no matter what they're calling it, the Pilots just want to play. They've got a Dream Team this year; no injuries, no fights, no ambition in adequacies. They got a whole locker room full of MVPs. But there is one girl, a little, tiny girl, that really has climbed into my heart and wanders around my head still, even though it was last Friday night that I saw her play.

Lindsey Huie is one tough mama. She can make the big play, she can block the big shot, she can blast up, she can run right back, she can kick the length of the sideline. She is little tiny and has one great set of feet. The thing that's interesting to me about her is that she plays with marked dispassion. She doesn't scream. Her face doesn't contort; she rarely clenches her fists; she never spits. She moves though her game and plays team with a cold-bloodedness that is eery and a little unsettling. Soccer players are rock and roll folks; they sweat, they pant, they bite their lip, they yell, they wave their arms, they kick everything in sight. And that's either on or off the field. But not this kid. She just goes out there and guts out what needs to happen. And she knows exactly everything that her teammates need and sees that they get it.

A guy from The Oregonian writes a great story about her in the Sunday paper. Turns out "Huie's calm in the soccer storm stems from her tumultuous childhood; not much ratlles her on a soccer field." The guy then puts down what I think could be the quote of the century:

"I am thankful for the life I've had, she said. I wasn't spoon-fed like a lot fo private school kids who fall apart when things go wrong. I think I am more prepared to deal with things."

This is in the paper! Say, Lindsey, the guy asks her, What about the final four? What about the match up with Penn State, the only other unbeaten team in the nation? Isn't that going to be a really tough game? She replies,

"I say it's better to be us than somebody else."

He closes with the comment that it's good to be Lindsey Huie, too. Brilliant! He puts this kid and her story away with a finesse that only comes from telling it like it is. Win/lose. Missed/made. Bing/bang. And that's what I like about sports writers and the sports pages: it's just fine to be yourself and when it's working really well, it's better to be you than anybody else in the
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:41 pm

Here's an Abby Haight article from '05 about Queenie archived on the WCC site that's worth reading again and might remind you why we should vote for her.

http://wccsports.cstv.com/genrel/083105aab.html

OK, this was a shameless pump-up to get you to vote for her again.

sue me.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:35 am

A_Fan wrote:Nike campus?

you would be correct...
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 04, 2021 12:03 pm

Former USWNT Player Lindsey Huie to Join Strikers FC ECNL Program...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/former_uswnt_player_lindsey_huie_to_join_strikers_fc_ecnl_program/prweb17895395.htm

Shocked Lindsey is all grown up...

Vote Lindsey Huie! Lindse10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:10 pm

A concerning note regarding Lindsey's health:

Lindsey Huie really didn't have time to get sick. The 36-year-old competitive soccer player had five kids under age 11 and coached five soccer teams on the off-season. She and her wife also ran a kitten and cat rescue.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/a-36-year-old-soccer-player-had-a-heart-attack-but-she-brushed-it-off-as-heartburn-and-resisted-going-to-the-er/ar-AAL71zP?ocid=entnewsntp

So when Huie felt uncharacteristically out of breath one day rushing between practices in September 2019, she justified it as seasonal changes or a bad's night sleep - anything that wouldn't require her to go to the hospital. After all, she was the picture of health as the oldest player on the LA Galaxy OC who'd formerly played for the U.S. Women's National Team. She avoided medications, relying on natural remedies for any ailments, and meditated regularly.

Even when Huie's chest felt like "when you tear a piece of paper in half with your hands," she thought: "What did I eat?" Maybe it was heartburn.

But when Huie sat down in the middle of the soccer field, other parents knew something was wrong. One parent, a triage nurse, told her the symptoms - like feeling like there was an elephant on her chest - matched that of a heart attack. "I was in so much pain and I have such a high tolerance for pain," she told Insider. "I felt like the only thing left to do was just cry."

Still, she resisted getting in an ambulance, worried it would scare her kids and be a waste of precious time. "In my head, I'm still thinking, 'This is a terrible idea, one of my kids has a social studies test tomorrow, and we have to study for that.'"

Now, Huie, 37, a volunteer for the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women "Real Women" campaign, wishes she had gotten emergency care right away. She shared her story with Insider to raise awareness of heart disease in women - even among those who seem invincible.

Huie was sure she'd be dismissed for heartburn or anxiety
At an urgent care facility, Huie was sure she'd be discharged with an "anxiety" or "heartburn" diagnosis. When the EKG revealed something off on the left side of her heart that needed emergency care, she remained in denial. "Clearly something is wrong with the machine," she thought.

In the emergency room, she resisted taking morphine for the pain due to her homeopathic lifestyle, a preference for using more natural therapies than pharmaceuticals, but a doctor swayed her: "If you want to be there for your kids, you're going to do the morphine," he said. (She now says she's still not thrilled she had it in her system, but it was necessary in the moment to put herself, her health, and her family first.)

Later that night, Huie learned she'd had a heart attack - specifically spontaneous coronary artery dissection (SCAD). The condition occurs when an artery in the heart tears, blocking blood flow. The American Heart Association says it's not unusual for it to affect healthy women with few or no risk factors, like Huie.

When the doctor revealed her diagnosis, "I just feel like my world falls apart in that moment - there is no more heartburn, no more anxiety, like something really serious was happening," she said. "I feel like I could have died, and how ridiculous that I didn't just go straight to the emergency room?"

Huie's recovery was more of a psychological challenge than a physical one. She was on several medications for a few months, felt tired all the time, and bruised easily. "I was pretty depressed for the first four months because I couldn't do everything I was used to doing." But with her doctor's approval, she slowly got off all medications, including baby Aspirin.

She says the healthcare system still has a ways to go to be inclusive to LGBTQ patients
Huie said she wishes she'd been asked about her sexuality during her hospital stay to add texture to the picture of who SCAD effects. After all, discrimination against LGBTQ is linked to high rates of mental health issues, which in turn can affect heart disease.

The more researchers know about patients' characteristics when studying any disease, the better they "lay the foundation for future generations to know if in fact there is any correlation," she said.

The oversight is one example of the many ways the healthcare system could be more inclusive to LGBTQ patients, beginning with the moment they walk through the hospital door. "When I get to the hospital, the immediate question is always, 'Should we contact your husband?" Huie said. "It's like, 'No, you don't need to contact my husband because I don't have one, but you can contact my wife."

Huie's nonstop lifestyle and other stressors may have contributed to her risk
Huie's mom, grandfather, and grandmother all had heart attacks, but Huie assumed her healthy behaviors would override her genetic risk. She also didn't take into account how the stresses of the prior few years could add up: Her dog was diagnosed with cancer, she came out as gay, she was in the process of adopting two of her kids, and she'd just returned to competitive soccer after 15 years in retirement.

Her nonstop daily routine - packing lunches, preparing dinner, shuttling kids to and from different schools and soccer practices - may have added fuel to the fire. "My free time was 10:30, 11:00 at night," Huie said.

a group of young men playing a game of frisbee on a football field: Lindsey Huie plays soccer with her five kids. American Heart Association Go Red for Women© American Heart Association Go Red for Women Lindsey Huie plays soccer with her five kids. American Heart Association Go Red for Women
That lifestyle was natural to her though, growing up playing competitive soccer - what she calls her first love.

"The athlete in you comes first and everything else comes last. You're not doing birthday parties. You're not doing prom. You're not doing grad nights. You're not doing typical events because your whole life is revolving around sport," Huie said. "Transferring over to momming, kids come first, everything else comes last, you come last."

Not anymore, though. Huie now delegates some responsibilities to her kids, and has nixed tasks from the routine that just aren't necessary.

"I used to make these really fancy toddlers lunches with little bears made out of Nutella," she said. "We don't do that anymore. What's more important: that the kids make it to school with a healthy mom, or that they're eating Nutella in the shape of a bear?"

She can no longer play soccer competitively, and takes it easier as a coach, monitoring her heart rate and stepping out when it gets too high. She encourages everyone to "know their numbers," like their cholesterol, blood pressure, and BMI. "I've learned if I don't respect what my body is asking of me," she said, "I will suffer and pay for it."

Read the original article on Insider

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403

Geezaldinho, A_Fan, UPSoccerFanatic and DoubleDipper like this post

Back to top Go down