Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boise State

+2
mattywizz
powerfan
6 posters

Go down

Boise State Empty Boise State

Post by powerfan Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Does anyone know if Boise State wins the WAC tournament tomorrow and gets the automatic seed, are they close enough to help Portland host the 1st and 2nd rounds?

powerfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Boise State Empty Re: Boise State

Post by mattywizz Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:39 pm

I know that they beat the Ducks...............so did Stanford!!!!!!!!!!!

but to answer your question, I think not, but I am not sure. I'm sure Geezer or UPSF or someone who actually knows will actually answer your question.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm

No, probably not.

Depending on what happens tomorrow, you might might see a host site at Boise St with WSU as the seed, joined by Idaho St, and BYU.

Lots of balls in the air until we know who get the automatic bids and try to pick seeds.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:22 pm

According to Google Maps, Boise is 435 miles from UP, while Pullman is 353 miles.

I think that means what WSU is close enough, but BSU is not.

Interestingly, the trip from Boise is essentially all freeway. Google'e estimate driving time from Boise, 6:44, is shorter than from Pullman, 6:51. (Of course I've been in Seattle traffic on days that I'm pretty sure that Boise-to-UP would be faster than UW-to-UP.)
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:27 pm

The trip to Pullman is a tad obscure. You have to go up through Tri-Cities and either go to Spokane and down 195 or cut across on Highway 26 to Colfax. NO straight shot to Pullman. Pretty drive though...
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:45 pm

We can only have 1 Pac 10 team if we host. Right now WSU is likely to be in the top 16 that get seeded. Likely we'll have UW or OSU come our way. UO is on the bubble and might not finish 500 which would put them out.

Also, I think the committee stretches the 400 thing and uses "as the crow flies" For example, LSU has go to host FSU before and they look to be over 400 mi and I doubt if they let them fly.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:15 pm

By NCAA rule, they have to use the Travel Expense System calculator to calculate the distances.(TES)

This is available at https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/TES/exec/miles

The distance between institutions for UP- Boise State with that calculator is 436 miles.

The distance between Gowen Field (BOI) and Portland (PDX) is 427 miles. For airports, you have to use the cheapest routing, and they could require you to go a certain distance (something like 200 miles) to get to that airport. WSU, for instance, flies out of Spokane.

The distance between institutional addresses:
To: 5000 N. Willamette Blvd, Portland , OR, 97203
Miles: 436.0

I think they will accept any calculation method. (Though it wouldn't surprise me if they only accepted whatever is cheaper, now)

By all methods, though, Boise State is outside the 400 mile limit.

I don't know about FSU's hosting history. Perhaps FSUfan can enlighten us. The calculator calculates the distance between FSU and LSU as 443 miles, but I don't have a clue what airports they ordinarily fly out of. They could be within the 400 mile radius, in which case the NCAA would only pay for ground transportation and the schools would be considered within the radius.

And there are, of course, lots of exceptions in history to the hosting rule. I think BYU has hosted without a hosting partner nearby. The NCAA just justifies that as being the cheapest method.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down