Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A sort-of research question...

+27
onetouchfutbol
jpscholar
ktinpurple
pilot10
youngalum
VillaGorilla
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
ShipstadPilot11
DaTruRochin
GUPhantom
purple haze
pms275
jc
Geezaldinho
mattywizz
UPSoccerFanatic
eProf
A_Fan
Harry Redknapp
Stonehouse
Indigo Kid
exsmith21
purple pride
SoreKnees
aleppiek
amg
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 3 Empty Re: A sort-of research question...

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Nicely done, Andrew. You've shown everyone why Portland is Soccer City, USA.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 3 Empty Re: A sort-of research question...

Post by PilotNut Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Excellent thread and article... and upon aleppiek's suggestion, this will remain "stickied"...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:35 pm

I know the article in complete but I would like to share my attraction and experience with other lovers of the UP team. I am one of the daughters that shares my love of the game with my dad. I knew nothing about soccer or this team until my dad invited my brother and I to a game at Portland in 2005. It was so magical. The stands were packed, students drumming and yelling funny jabs at the away team. I couldn't stay seated and my mouth never shut. Although I knew nothing about this team I was sucked in. Ever since then I attend all home games and many away. My dad and I wait anxiously for the next season to begin each year and during the season we never stop talking about them or email articles.

I feel like I know these women. They are so humble. They are so smooth and talented. I am like a kid in a candy store when I watch them after (or before) they have graduated and they are playing on the national team or pro teams. They work so hard and are so passionate... they deserve every bit of recognition and support that they get. They have made me love this game. I will always be a season ticket holder and I will always share this love and experience with my dad.
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jpscholar Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Just to clarify, GEEZ, Texas A&M does not require that you buy tickets for other sports before you can purcahse tickets for Soccer and vice-versa. A&M Soccer is supported by the Football team as are the other sports on campus, its our cash cow if you will, raking in millions a year, the A&M operating budget is $75+ million. People have the option of buying public season tickets or general admission. A&M students get in only if you have purchased an All-Sports pass or at a discounted general admission rate. While A&M has done extremely well in Women's Soccer on and off the field (attendance) it is not uncommon for the other sports to do well in attendance as well, good promotions and great marketing from out athletic department has contributed to the huge attendance numbers all around, we have the 12th Man Team Rewards program, where for every 12 Athletic events you attend you get a prize of some sort, sometimes athletic gear, other times, gift cards, or flat TVs, etc. Women's Soccer at A&M however has always drawn huge crowds, could be due to the fact that A&M doesn't field a Mens program (due to Title IX compliance).
Very Happy

btw, I have been a Portland Soccer fan since learning about them....great program.

Last edited by jpscholar on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

jpscholar
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Wow. I should have read this a long time ago. Well done. You definitely captured it, and thanks for listening to our views and expanding on them with your own well-formed opinions. Very cool.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:04 pm

I gess I should ahve piped up on this earlier, but as long as we are on it, The only problem I have is the last sentence.

Women's Soccer at A&M however has always drawn huge crowds, could be due to the fact that A&M doesn't field a Mens program (due to Title IX compliance).

Really? So the only reason you have women's sports is title iX? and you can't field a men's team besides football because of it?

Time to reevaluate. there are a couple hundred men's teams in the country and those programs comply with title lX.

I always think it's funny when an AD tells you they have dropped men's gymnastics, or wrestling or soccer because of title lX.

Title lX demands no such thing, only a commitment to improving equal opportunities to women.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by wyeast Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:06 pm

jpscholar :
Women's Soccer at A&M however has always drawn huge crowds, could be due to the fact that A&M doesn't field a Mens program (due to Title IX compliance).

Thank you Geezaldinho!

I don't know A&M's athletic budget but read the following:

From the National Coalition for Women and Girls in Education:
While overall, schools have added more male teams than they have dropped, in the only competitive division showing a net loss of men's teams, NCAA Division I-A, the budgets for football and men's basketball consume nearly three quarters (73%) of the total men's athletics operating budget. While these 117 Division I-A schools may argue that this lopsided resource allocation is an investment in increasing revenues, the numbers show otherwise. In these athletic programs, supposedly the “most profitable,” 60% currently operate at an overall deficit averaging $4.4 million per year. Of all NCAA Division I and II schools, 85% currently operate at a deficit. (Fulks, 2005) Putting huge sums of money into one or two men's sports reduces the likelihood that schools will be financially capable of adding women's participation opportunities or reducing inequalities in treatment (scholarships, operating budgets, etc.) to comply with Title IX and increases the likelihood that other men's sports will be eliminated. Unless educational institutions and athletic governance organizations do more to control costs, this financial squeeze will affect all competitive divisions. Only by capping these spiraling costs will institutions be able to grow women's sports programs to comply with Title IX while maintaining existing participation opportunities for men.
http://www.ncwge.org/

Could it be that A&M spends too much on football or men's basketball?

I don't at all think that A&M women's team is not a second choice for fans because there isn't a men's team! They are great players!

wyeast
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:15 am

This was an exceptional article. It may be worthy of un-stickying though...
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

A sort-of research question... - Page 3 Empty Another hot women's team

Post by dave97239 Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:17 pm

I agree with all that has been said about the things that make the UP women's soccer team such a great draw for fans... and don't have anything new to add there.

I have heard that the Nebraska women's volleyball team has a following similar to the UP women's soccer team. While football is clearly king at Nebraska, the volleyball team's home games have all been sellouts for a number of years now. I don't know how the players are treated on campus, but I've been told it is harder to score a volleyball ticket than a football ticket.

From the little bit I know about the situation, I think there are a number of parallels with UP... Nebraska volleyball is always a top 10 team, they play their home games in an intimate volleyball only arena, and Nebraska has a strong youth volleyball program.

Having watched UP v NU in women's soccer in Lincoln, I can tell you the NU women's soccer program has a zero following... they play in the shadows of the football stadium, on a small field, without any fans beyond friends and family... so like the UP women in soccer, seems like the NU volleyball team has bottled up some fan magic.

dave97239
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 pm

This thread is clearly HOF material, but has the time come to un-sticky it?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Hey!

We pay you to make these decisions. Do you job.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 am

Before you close this sticky, I just wanted to add a portion of a piece that was on ESPN LA late Wednesday night. Essentially it was about the failure of the US Soccer team to qualify for the 2012 Olympics, but it also mentioned the 2000 team and its success in Sydney and the influence of Clive.
The 2000 team's qualification for the Sydney Games was aided by a one-game strike by Honduran players over pay, and “we had some luck through” the process, 2000 Olympian Peter Vagenas acknowledges. Then something else took hold once the Americans got to Australia.

That team was guided by the late Clive Charles, the longtime University of Portland coach universally revered in the American soccer community. Charles, an Englishman who came to America to play in the old North American Soccer League and remained here when his playing days were done, coached the side although he had just learned (but did not divulge) he had prostate cancer, which killed him three years later.

“I've yet to find anyone in soccer who has one bad word about that man,” Vagenas said. “If you ask anyone who's ever played for him, as brief as it was, and whether you were captain of that team or never saw a minute, the over-resounding response is 'He's the best coach I've ever played for.' This is across the board.

A sort-of research question... - Page 3 Clive10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 am

Vagenas played for Sigi Schmid at UCLA, including the 1997 Championship year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm

amg wrote:Hello Nation-
This is Andrew Guest; I teach at UP in Social & Behavioral Sciences, and am a long-time soccer guy. I'm posting to ask for some ideas you all might have related to some writing I'm doing.

Here's my premise: I suspect UP is the only place in the country, and maybe in the world, where there are multiple men's and women's teams but women's soccer is the single most popular sport (but maybe someone out there can tell me if I'm wrong). So then the question is why is UP such an outlier? So the key question is really what else, in addition to the winning, explains the popularity? And are there any lessons there for other promoters of women's soccer or women's sports more generally (eg, other colleges or even the WPS)?

What I'd be particularly interested in from Pilot Nation folks is any specific perspectives and anecdotes that might contribute to a good analytic essay. So, why is it that UP women's soccer is such an outlier? And what's your evidence? (that's the social scientist in me!)

Thanks very much for any input. Andrew.
This sticky is well beyond its sell-by-date, as Andrew finished writing his piece prior to the 2010 World Cup, but it's still fun to occasionally answer his question, "So, why is it that UP women's soccer is such an outlier? And what's your evidence? (that's the social scientist in me!)"

Here's another example of WHY, today in the Orgonian:
Spirit of Portland: University of Portland women's soccer team donates to Harper's Playground, volunteers with kids

At the University of Portland, volunteering is the norm. During the 2010-11 school year, university students volunteered a total of 163,891 community service hours.

But one group -- the school’s women’s soccer team -- is especially dedicated to giving back. The team won a Spirit of Portland award this week for its work on Harper’s Playground and at the Ronald McDonald House and Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.

That community focus has been part of the team since Clive Charles developed it into a powerhouse nearly a decade ago, players say.

“There have been unique personalities who have been on this team every year, who are very giving and selfless,” said junior Sarah Bridges. “I don’t think it’s a coincidence that every single year the team wants to do this. I think it’s intrinsic to the people they recruit.”

Last year, the team raised $5,000 for Harper’s Playground, an all-inclusive playground in the Arbor Lodge Park, by auctioning off their warm-up jerseys. They also worked at the groundbreaking. This season, the team is donating tickets and other items to raise additional money for the playground, which was inspired by 6-year-old Harper Goldberg, who was born with Emanuel Syndrome.

At the Ronald McDonald house, the team cooks dinner for families and visits with kids. This summer, members expanded that outreach to Doernbecher. When they showed up with soccer balls, shirts and lanyards, parents told Bridges that the kids were grateful for the break.

City Commissioner Nick Fish nominated the team because the players are role models, he said. The recognition is nice, Bridges said, but the real honor came Monday night, seeing the other community members who won Spirit of Portland awards.

“It was really cool to be there because you get to see all these other people who are doing things for the community, people who you might not be aware of,” Bridges said. “It’s cool to be a part of that kind of community.”
A sort-of research question... - Page 3 Spirit10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:18 am

I am removing the sticky here...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike88 Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:45 am

I haven't seen such a good article for a long time.Portland is really a soccer city where you could shop cheap soccer jerseys

Mike88
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-10-30

https://www.fcbjerseys.ru

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3