Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campus expansion

+10
DoubleDipper
DaTruRochin
Rochin54
PurplePrideTrumpet
thepuck
wrv
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
mikemac65
PilotNut
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Campus expansion - Page 3 Empty Re: Campus expansion

Post by Guest Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Obviously the Pilots played in Howard Hall in the "early" years, but in the '60's when I was in school, UP played in the brand new Memorial Coliseum (the "Glass Palace.")  

When did they start playing in Howard again, and for how long?  Did they continue to play there until the Chiles Center was built?

There were games in Howard Hall in the early 70's, and bigger games were at the Coliseum. Later, during the Darwin Cook/Jose Slaughter years, the games were at Lewis and Clark, until the Chiles Center opened.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:53 pm

I walked by Howard yesterday without even realizing that this was the last hurrah.

I can only imagine how cool of an atmosphere it was to see actual games in there with a crowd.  I remember seeing a picture in a yearbook from the late 70s during a game against Oregon State.  Some students in the packed crowd were holding a banner that was apparently acceptable for print in the publication but I find a little too NSFW for this forum  Shocked.

What a jewel though.  As I tell people when I describe it, it's newest feature is the giant 48-star flag on the wall of the gym.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:10 pm

VillaGorilla wrote:I walked by Howard yesterday without even realizing that this was the last hurrah.

I can only imagine how cool of an atmosphere it was to see actual games in there with a crowd.  I remember seeing a picture in a yearbook from the late 70s during a game against Oregon State.  Some students in the packed crowd were holding a banner that was apparently acceptable for print in the publication but I find a little too NSFW for this forum  Shocked.

What a jewel though.  As I tell people when I describe it, it's newest feature is the giant 48-star flag on the wall of the gym.

Since when has this forum had any standards? drunken

Speaking of which . . . . After 8 years, I finally get to access the PilotNation 1000 post suite.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 pm

blacksheep wrote:

Since when has this forum had any standards?   drunken

Speaking of which . . . .  After 8 years, I finally get to access the PilotNation 1000 post suite.

Get in while you can... the suite is in Howard Hall.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu May 18, 2017 11:43 pm

This is more like a campus retraction, but I stopped by the campus and work has commenced on the parking lot. The next time you come to a game there will be a bunch of planting islands around the lot and a new walkway across the middle of the lot between the ccsc ticket booth and the main quads.

It should spruce up the place, and maybe help with stormwater abatement and microclimate, but it will cost parking spots. I asked how many and got a couple answers- 43 and 53.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri May 19, 2017 9:12 am

Geezaldinho wrote:This is more like a campus retraction, but I stopped by the campus and work has commenced on the parking lot. The next time you come to a game there will be a bunch of planting islands around the lot and a new walkway across the middle of the lot between the ccsc ticket booth and the main quads.

It should spruce up the place, and maybe help with stormwater abatement and microclimate, but it will cost parking spots. I asked how many and got a couple answers- 43 and 53.

Another reason to join the Pilot Club and get a reserved spot (though they never seem to reserve enough if you tend to get the the game right before tip off)
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3