Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots win again!

+14
UPSoccerFanatic
GUPhantom
scrfn
UPreveler
A_Fan
Indigo Kid
eProf
SoreKnees
fan from afar
fozziewozzie
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
Harry Redknapp
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pilots win again! Empty Pilots win again!

Post by Harry Redknapp Fri Aug 28 2009, 21:55

Another good performance by the Pilots to beat Cal comfortably 4-0.

Danielle "Fox in the Box" scores the first two. Michelle O heads in the third and Sophie finishes the fourth with authority.

UP finishes the game with 10 subs on the field and only Cloee Colohan left from the starting XI.

Very nicely done.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Pilots win again! Empty Re: Pilots win again!

Post by PilotNut Fri Aug 28 2009, 22:03

Nice showing by the Pilots tonight... offense was looking strong... hopefully the defense will continue to tighten up and lock down on the "No Shots on Goal" strategy!

3rd largest crowd in Merlo Field history tonight... awesome atmoshpere. Great showing by the students, especially since I dont think the dorms are even open for Sophs-Seniors yet... I think we are in for a special season.

The post-game fireworks were impressive as well. Wink
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Aug 28 2009, 22:56

What a night.

It reminded me of why I love nights at Merlo. Seeing the Pilots play that beautiful style we all know and love under the lights, with a huge crowd...it's really something special.

As for the Pilots: too fast, too strong, too much...what was that word we used?...pressure Wink ...led to too much posession. So much for opponents lining up in the 3-4-3 to take on the Pilots... And what great finishes, all of them.

The students tried out a new song called Dale Cavese and it went well. This is what it will sound like by the time the WCC season starts:

PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Aug 28 2009, 23:04

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:The students tried out a new song called Dale Cavese and it went well.
Here's a version I think Geezaldinho will appreciate Laughing :
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Aug 28 2009, 23:08

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:The students tried out a new song called Dale Cavese and it went well.
Here's a version I think Geezaldinho will appreciate Laughing :

My wife even knows he words to this one. They make the concrete stadium shake when they do it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Aug 29 2009, 00:21

Oregonian Game Recap

UP Official Recap <<< Listen, also to the post-game interviews in the UP link.
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 29 2009, 01:04

And the more often sung version of the Dale boca song, that has perhaps 40 verses and can go for an entire game. There are verses mocking every other team in South America.

Yo soy de Boca SeƱor

Y dale bo, y dale dale boca
y dale bo, y dale dale boooca
las gallinas son asi, son las amargas de la Argentina
cuando no salen campeon, esas tribunas estan vasias
yo soy de Boca senor, este es mi canto de alegria
aunque no salgas campeon,
el sentimiento no se termina

In english (very loosely)

and give it Bo, give it , give it Boca
and give it Bo, give it , give it Boooooca
The chickens are well, are the bitterest of Argentina
when they aren't champion, their stands are empty
I'm from Boca sir, this is my song of joy
although we may not come out champion,
the feeling does not end

The Gallinas (chickens) are River Plate.
The Dale is darle (give it to them) and is more "like stick it to 'em"
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Aug 29 2009, 02:52

back to the game.
first off i have to say, i think clohee is the best central defender i have seen since lauren orlandos an lindsay smart. second, the more impressive thing to me was to see her LEADERSHIP out there!! she was pointing an directing an supervising things on the back line. we're talking about a frosh here an those are the terms i am talking about her in.
second, talking in terms of freshman, kendall johnson impressed me to the point that there may be a starter or two that might want to be looking over their shoulders.
as for the game over all, dany was very opportunistic. but to me, keelin was the workhorse of the game. admittedly, i fell in love with her during her freshman campaign, but she was everywhere doing everything!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Aug 29 2009, 04:16

Watching on the computer leaves a lot to be desired, so I would be very interested to hear if you lucky attendees agree with me. From what I could see -

1- I agree completely about Kendall, and some starters maybe looking over their shoulder.

2- The 3-4-3 worked about like I expected, or rather didn't work as I expected. Cal was pretty good (surprisingly good) through the middle, but not near their goal.

3- Our back line seems EXTREMELY solid defending - well organized, especially for this early in the season, and especially considering how young they are in the middle, and considering they were playing against three attackers including one of the most dangerous strikers in the country. I do wish they would be a little more patient and find targets better when clearing the ball. We gave it right back a lot.

4- Sophie looks absolutely awesome to me - quicker, and even stronger than last year.

5- Jessica also looked great to me. I didn't see her lose her man on defense once, and she was on Morgan a lot, at least early on, and still contributed a lot to the attack.

6- We seemed to be very right handed, but we also seemed to be probably more effective on the right. Elli was maybe trying to do too much and losing the ball a lot, especially early.

7- We are EXTREMELY dangerous around the box. Cal wasn't. Better UP back four, more creative UP front 5.

8- Michelle does not seem to be a classical attacking mid - control the ball, distribute, ala Woznuk- but WOW, she is dangerous making overlap runs past our attackers. I had thought she would fit in best at outside mid, but she is going to be a monster for other teams to control at attacking mid, with all that field in front of her.

9- I also love watching Keelin play, even on the computer. When I see games in person so I can see the whole scope of the action, I usually feel like she is the best player on the field.

10- I meant to check a roster and forgot, but I think Garrett might have gotten the whole team some real minutes. Great!!
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 29 2009, 06:30

Pilots were just too much for Cal. 3-4-3 was a curious choice to deploy against UP.

Defense was very solid when the starters were in. Colohan and Olivier are going to be legends - a sophomore and a freshman. They took turns abusing Alex Morgan, who got frustrated and dropped deeper as the game went on. They are both strong in the air, physical in the challenge, and use the ball well too. UP has four strong headers of the ball, which makes corners tough to defend. Cloee, MO, Keelin, and Sophie are all good in the air. Third goal was a corner that Cloee headed across goal (from far post to near), Sophie headed it on to the bar, and MO was there to head it in. Very nice goal.

Jessica and Megan were both very capable - and I say that as someone who has not always been enamored of Ms. Sweeney. Both got forward some too. The fourth goal was the result of a great surge forward by Jess, a magnificently timed through ball from Sophie, a shot from Jess blocked by the GK and Sophie buried the rebound.

Keelin is a rock at holding mid. Every game. Tough. Always there. Wins most every ball in the air. One thing I'd love to see her do is take a shot every now and then. Several times a game she'll get the ball 5 yards outside the box in space. I'd like to see her have a go from there sometimes.

Kendra and Elli had OK games - not great but lots of hustle and tackling. First goal was a product of Kendra chasing down a ball to the goal line that the defender wanted to shepherd out. Kendra would have none of it, bundled her out of the way, cracked it over and after a couple of touches it was a relatively simple finish for Dani. Elli showed flashes of her brilliance. I still wonder if she is not best used as an outside defender.

Michelle E had a good game too. Several wonderful typical runs. She is as fast with the ball at her feet as anyone I can remember at Merlo. Lindsey Huie is the only person I think of in the same way. I agree with fan from afar that she is not a classic attacking mid but she is a delight to watch and creates openings and causes real problems for the defense. At the risk of upsetting some folks by voicing a criticism I think that her finishing is not as sharp as the rest of her game. In the first two games she has had scoring chances that I thought she would score from where the GK has saved it.

Sophie and Dani are a great attacking combo. I christened Dani the "fox in the box" as a play on her last name but also because that's what she is - she is a scorer. The rest of her game is coming along (she is only a sophomore after all) but she knows where the goal is and she puts the ball in the back of the net. Both her goals were well finished, she was in the right place at the right time. Sophie was the player of the game for me. She is strong, she plays hard every minute, and she is a great target. She controls and holds the ball up so well. Her header set up the third goal and she combined marvelously with Jess for the fourth. Jess played the ball to her and then ran as fast as she could into the box. Sophie held the ball, and held the ball, and then at just the right moment played the ball perfectly into Jessica's stride, and then was alert to stick the rebound in. A couple of her passes went astray but she was great.

UP ended the game with every available sub on the field - 10 in all. Hailee played the whole second half. Just realized I said nothing about Kelsey- that's because she had nothing to do - that's how much UP dominated the first half.

The most interesting of the subs were Kendall and Charney because both looked good. Kendall showed a turn of pace that was a surprise to some who had seen her in HS and not remarked upon that before. Charney has good touch and close control and can pull the strings in the middle of a one- and two-touch passing game. Both looked like they could start and not look out of place.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 29 2009, 06:39

One cute vignette from after the game. Fireworks were going off, Pilots had done the back and forth across the filed to warm down and give fans the chance to show their appreciation. That's when Garrett gathers them for some words. So he calls them together, they gather around, and then he stops and looks back at the fireworks which are really loud. He gives up and lets them watch. The players stand around gazing up at the sky, smiling and joking with each other, some of them have arms around each other, and at one point several of them dance to the music a little. At the end they all clap. It was a nice reminder that this is college athletics and they are all just kids.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Aug 29 2009, 07:21

I agree with all that has been said. Remarkably, Alex Morgan was never a factor. Cloee marked her one-on-one repeatedly and never got beaten. Pretty remarkable for one's second college game. I can't remember any defender who has been that good that early!

Clive would have been very proud of this performance!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 29 2009, 09:09

And when Cloee wasn't handling her, Michelle O and Jessica did too. But SK is right, a poised performance from the freshman.

Like I said earlier, it's hard to think of anything that Kelsey had to do. Speaks volumes for the defensive performance.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Aug 29 2009, 09:24

Harry Redknapp wrote:

Jessica and Megan were both very capable - and I say that as someone who has not always been enamored of Ms. Sweeney.
Megan had a very good game. Perhaps the best I've seen her play.

Harry Redknapp wrote:

UP ended the game with every available sub on the field - 10 in all.
Yup. Molly is still banged up a bit. Otherwise, I suspect we'd have seen her, too.

Elinor's mom was very excited to see her daughter on the pitch for the first time. Elinor has dreamt about playing for the Pilots since she was about six. Last night that dream became a reality.

Harry Redknapp wrote:

The most interesting of the subs were Kendall and Charney because both looked good. Kendall showed a turn of pace that was a surprise to some who had seen her in HS and not remarked upon that before. Charney has good touch and close control and can pull the strings in the middle of a one- and two-touch passing game. Both looked like they could start and not look out of place.

Agreed.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sat Aug 29 2009, 09:30

SoreKnees wrote:Cloee marked her one-on-one repeatedly and never got beaten. Pretty remarkable for one's second college game. I can't remember any defender who has been that good that early!

I can remember one--Stephanie Lopez. When a freshman is playing defense, it usually takes me a chunk of the season to gain confidence in them. For both Stephanie and Cloee, that confidence has come almost immediately.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Sat Aug 29 2009, 09:50

Cal Athletics write up on the match:
http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/082909aab.html
I liked this comment:"The Bears significantly bettered their performance in the second 45 minutes." Well yes, there were so many subs in the 2nd half...
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Aug 29 2009, 10:07

Well, they did get significantly more shots in the second half - 3 compared to 2 in the first half.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by UPreveler Sat Aug 29 2009, 10:23

Wow, I am excited about our team. What a statment they made in the first half with three goals. The exiting thing is that it's only going to get better and better.

Offense is formidable with powerhouse Sophie, all over the place Michelle, opportunistic Danielle, playmaker Kendra, and relentless Elli.

Defense is a force with in your face Keelin, take that Jessica, not in my house Mo and Cloee, and stopper Megan.

And can't say enough about Kelsey and Hailee who are saving graces.

Also, liked the off-the-bench energy effort of Charney and Kendall. It's comforting to have some dependable subs to help the starters stay fresh and strong through the season. And the pregame eats and the post-game fireworks were very enjoyable.

After saying all this and reading prior posts, I do wonder if we have enough speed in our back defense line to stop other teams fast forwards and midfielders.

But what a start and what a team.

UPreveler
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by scrfn Sat Aug 29 2009, 10:51

Fox in the Box is a great nickname for Danielle Foxhoven...
she always seems to find her way to the goal and be in the right place at the right time.. what an amazing field awareness she has...
Impressed she was able to follow up on not one but 2 missed goals by the other players..not to mention I was surpsied to see that Kelsey and Foxhoven were the first to sub out.. but rest the best I always say..save them for the BIG games and avoid injury is key... it was great to see other junior players get in the game as well..with Kelsey leaving next year will definately see more action in the GK for future experience.....congrats on the win to the entire team looked better overall this week compared to last! GO PILOTS.
scrfn
scrfn
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 29 2009, 11:07

eProf wrote:
SoreKnees wrote:Cloee marked her one-on-one repeatedly and never got beaten. Pretty remarkable for one's second college game. I can't remember any defender who has been that good that early!

I can remember one--Stephanie Lopez. When a freshman is playing defense, it usually takes me a chunk of the season to gain confidence in them. For both Stephanie and Cloee, that confidence has come almost immediately.

And if you remember, Steph was a central defender her freshman year.

Kristen Eaton and Tia Sharpe were pretty good early.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Aug 29 2009, 12:13

2nd game and some things are clear already.

Sophie is the key to the Pilots offense! She is just the BEST working with her back to the goal. When she receives service and holds her position... it freezes the defensive back line enough that they're caught flatfooted trying to keep up with Dani and Michelle who are cutting and charging hard in anticipation for Sophie's dish. Great advantage when the gun for the race has gone off....and the defense is still stuck in their starting blocks! Add in the buzzing in the box from Kendra, Elli, Jessica and Megan...the "hive is so full of activity"....that it makes my head spin!!! No doubt folks...Sophie is the queen bee....and her worker bees attack with mean stings!!!

I also agree with the observations and comparasons of Cloee and Stephanie. Both have so much maturity and poise in their games but have differences in their approach physically. Both are excellent in positioning their bodies defensively to terminate threats.

Steph is more "understated" physically. A very smooth operator and more "ninja-like" in marking opponents. Cloee earns her nickname...."The Hammer"! Her marks will end a match in icepacks. She's a bruiser.

Keelin just makes me smile! Athletic and scrappy! I get a sense of joy to her play! When she's in a tough fight...you'll see her break out a little smile! Twisted Evil She has a "bring it" response to competition and reveals in sqashing any tough challenge! Cassie is the outright cheerleader for the team....but I'd say Keelin represents the attitude of the team on the pitch with her energized play! Megan assumed this role last year. I think Keelin assumes it this year.

This years crop of freshmen are fearless. All stepped up and filled-in nicely. I didn't see any "deer in the headlights". Who would when you're schooled in practice everyday by some of the best in the game? Every game they play is icing on the cake. They get minutes.. get better...and know they can contribute when called upon to do so!!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 29 2009, 13:08

UPreveler wrote: I do wonder if we have enough speed in our back defense line to stop other teams fast forwards and midfielders.

Understand this concern. Jessica is fairly quick; MO and Cloee are not fast bit not slow either. When Elli plays at the back she has the speed to catch anyone.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Aug 29 2009, 13:14

I think part of the subbing pattern is the staff figuring out which players they want to get the most minutes for. In that respect, Hailee going in for the full second half made sense. The next two in were Charney and Kendall. That tells me how highly the staff thinks of Kendall -- Charney we already know about. Kendall looked excellent yesterday, much better than at Oregon even though she got a goal there.

Did anyone else notice how Cal started letting its frustration seep out towards the end of the game. A blatant push in the back to Jessica as she was shielding a ball rolling over the end line, followed by some bad words from the player to the ref as she ran by drawing her a yellow card. And a blatant trip of Charney a little later, who was making mince meat of the Bears' mid-field, drawing another yellow card. Followed by Alex Morgan getting into it with one of the Pilots later away from the play, causing the ref to come over and say a few words. Interesting.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sat Aug 29 2009, 15:02

Geezaldinho wrote:And the more often sung version of the Dale boca song, that has perhaps 40 verses and can go for an entire game. There are verses mocking every other team in South America.

Athletics department suggestion... Have a soccer fan song lyric writing contest! Simple drum beat and easy to learn, like the one posted. Heck, UP is a two time national champion. It is time for a UP soccer song! Any song writers out there?

Game- review. Pretty much been covered above. Much different game than the opener; as expected. Still good room to evolve as season progresses.

That opener was awesome! Great crowd, great soccer, good drumming too! (could this be the year for some slamming soccer rhythms?) Lets hope so. Fine fireworks display too. Portland IS soccer city.

Last edited by PilotNut on Sat Aug 29 2009, 15:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed broken quote)
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Aug 29 2009, 16:10

Followed by Alex Morgan getting into it with one of the Pilots later away from the play, causing the ref to come over and say a few words. Interesting.

I noticed the tail-end of that comotion too. Its all good. JT and Alex were just re-newing thier friendship and reminiscing about their U23 experience, right? I think Jessica invited Alex to hang around after the game for the real fireworks...what's wrong with that? Rolling Eyes

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next