Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

College Hoops Net Top 144

+8
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
MesaPilot1
ShipstadPilot11
MJGoGaels
onetouchfutbol
Stonehouse
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

College Hoops Net Top 144 Empty College Hoops Net Top 144

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:27 am

I always enjoy College Hoops Net's Top 144 countdown, even though it takes about four months for it to finish. I noticed that they have begun already and are down to #132 now:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/preview/2009/

Call me crazy, but I think this is the year Portland cracks it. We finished just over 100 in most rankings last year (109 according to KenPom, 120 in CollegeRPI, etc.). So considering we return 12 guys, we might end up in the pre-sesaon top 100. At least top 120 for sure, right? I hope so anyway. Will be fun to keep an eye on.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

College Hoops Net Top 144 Empty Re: College Hoops Net Top 144

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm assuming it's based on RPI. We should definitely make it with all of our returning players.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MJGoGaels Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:06 am

More than just making it. I have the Pilots coming in at #83. I original posted that the Gaels would be #89, but the reality is they will be lucky to break into the 90's. They may rank the Gaels higher than they deserve and keep the Pilots lower than they deserve as well. Frankly, those WCC fans who know the teams can do a better job than most of these sites. My two cents. MJ
MJGoGaels
MJGoGaels
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:09 am

Santa Clara just checked in at 121:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/santa-clara-basketball-preview-121-167055

Quite bullish on the Broncos, but actually... I think it's possible they could be better next year even without Bryant.

So I'm assuming Portland and Saint Mary's will both be ahead of SCU... so adding Gonzaga that means 4 teams in the top 121. Not bad.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:11 am

We are officially in the Top 100 (barring the seemingly-impossible possibility that we are ranked below Santa Clara and not even in the Top 144).
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:50 am

Hip ,hip ,Horrrahh!!!!

Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo!

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:01 pm

Some more press like this, wherever we end up in the top 100, will certainly help catch people's attention... 67 days until the 1st (Exhibition) Game!!!

bounce bounce bounce
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Don't get me started you know how enthusiastic I am. I'll probably be holding daily countdowns if I don't calm down.

Cant wait for those Rev reports, woo, hooo!!!

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:45 pm

So-

we'll be rated above Providence and St Joe's?

Wow.

Just how, exactly, is that ranking related to this>

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/2010-earlytop-50-ranking-166800

Are we in the 50-95 range?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:20 pm

Could be, but that rankings list is from way back in April, so who knows how high...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:33 am

JMHO, I think Stonehouse,DATRochrin,etc...etc... or one of you interested guys who has the time should create and develop a pre-season ranking top 64 or so. I would be willing to throughly research the best of the Big Ten, Pac-Ten, or Big 12,SEC,BIG EAST, . I could help contribute if necessary as I have a competent knowledge of three BCS conferences (Big 10,Pac-10,and Big Twelve. This is probably our best year for even being mentioned in preseason top 100 (Or whatever goofy number???) polls in a long time .Or for that matter the short-term forseeable future. I could see this poll as being more accurate on the whole then some of these so called "experts" who claim to make a living blogging NCAA BB. (AS they live in their parent's basement,where they have their World headquarters set up next to their X box game and mom buy's and cooks dinner for them everyday,lol).

We could have some fun with it. In addition, seeing the teams at UP's 45-85 rank level, and if it turned out OK somebody could submit it to Bleacher Report or some other dealio and get some credit......... Stonehouse? Your always posting about how you wish you could keep your ol' skills from college sharp. You have by far the most knowledge of the WCC,the smaller (mid'major... for lack of a better term) teams and the obscure underated school's around the country.

Pls "you know who" don't suggest I take this on alone because I'm the only one who's not a soccer fan, IMHO that would sound like a real neg comment about Pilot BB and be very Sad . Like PP13 reiterated all in the spirit of suporting Pilots Basketball and here's hopin they can even have a tenth of the sucess of the smaller but periennial powerhouse sports teams at UP when it is all said and done cheers .

Just a thought Stoney, I know your busy with work,life, family and friends but???.......everybody's kinda aware of the letterwinners..and to review most of the "KEY" players on the team would be Beating a Dead Horse since their weaknesses and strengths have been debated to the end of the earth and eternity and are getting quite stale.... "Poor Jasonn's offense ,or or cfritiques of Stohls lack of speed and Quickness on defense" ,Robin,Luke and Kramers inefectiveness inside.Ito's horrific brick shot's etc. Nik in a trance on the court and throwing up a bad shot, TJ not taking enough shots,etc ,etc

.According to the Naysayer fans of Pilot BB this will just be another "flat on our face year" so we might as well enjoy the early season promise since once again we will be in the cellar of the WCC swept by both the Zaqs and Gaels .Fortunate will the Pilot's be to win 10 games all year and 5 in the Conference if great sucess is had.UP has been such a perrenial loser in BB lately there is not much awareness to a national stage in NCAA BB. In addition caus Zag fans have indeed ruined it for everyone else with their arrogant attitude and lack of basic knowledge and or history of the NCAA basketball world. From my short exposure to the WCC (I havent got the secret decoder ring yet for 10 yrs attending games at the Chiles,lol) all anybody wants to see is all the other WCC teams do well in the NCAA's and then for the Zaggettes to flame out in the first round annually,( unless they get a cupcake draw in the first two rounds of the NCAA's like last year,lol).

WhiteBart1 farao

PS-How many days until individual workouts start???

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:48 am

Sorry guy's for such a long ,rambling message.

I just thought I would throw it out there, and see if anybody took a bite.

It would be fun,and It may not happen again for a while that the Pilot's are showing so much promise before a season. Frankly, I think were past the stage of sneaking up on UCLA,Butlers,Washingtons,Oregons,Gonzagas,St. Mary's and I've moved past this fantasy that we have no chance in Heck to beat them.
They all will be primed and ready for the Pilot's this year. No more were the little Portland Pilots were gonna sneak up on you with our 3 pt shooting, because your looking past us to your next game.. I expect 2-3 court rushings this year with all that new student energy created by PP13 and his crew,the Players,and our skill.
.........Just some food for thought....you guys know better than me.

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:16 am

Mesa I love your maniacal rantings and I think your right in wanting the PILOTNATION to extoll the players who are in the system now.

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 am

I'm glad somebody appreciate's some enthuisiam. However, I totally went overboard when talking smack about some of these guys fav. players whom I never even have had the pleasure of meeting. Thus I had to remove those few lines about recent Pilots that were the graduates of Purple Pride Brigade favorite players.

I met most of the reg bb posters at the game's last year,and the ones I met I consider friends so I think I'll ramp it back a few notches,concentrate on my profession, and settle back to semi-civil discourse(which everyone know's is virtually imposible for me to do) that usually occurs on this board.

If I offended any regulars, lurker Pilot fans, or soccer fans it wasn't my intent. I guess your one sentence describes my feelings for this year. Let's live in the moment and win a WCC for ol Coach Avina and the players who have struggled down through the years since the 90's team.Its great to be proud of our history, but all we have is today . Tomorrow's a mystery, Yesterdays HISTORY, we only have Today which is a gift from GOD. Somebody much wiser than me penned that many years ago.....

Good to see a post from you again Mike,

MesaPilot1

-P.S.Truth be known one of the guy's I'm hardest on was one of the most hospitable guys I met last winter at the games. He know's who he is....resident Phiney consuere'/expert. Very Happy I'm pretty sure he's got thick skin and broad shoulders and can handle a manaical poster like me...

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:17 pm

So we are in the top 91.... Very Happy

or #145 or lower. pale

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm banking on the top 91. I do NOT believe that we are out of the top 144 AND below SCU. I'd be thrilled for top 75...

Is it just me or are there less than 91 days left until the season starts? Will they start doing 2 teams a day?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:25 am

Bump

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:42 am

#89: Oregon State. Interesting.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Help's when you have the Comander and Chief on your side Shocked . Though I believe Craig Robinson is really getting those kids to believe in themselves. That is super, I am happy for their resurgence at the end of last year. They sure have a larger talent pool and budget to work with but....Rev is holding his own.

2011 pt.guard from Desert Vista High in Phoenix just signed with OSU recently. He did real well on the summer AAU/club circuit this summer. I believe he's a tad small 5'10,160 lbs ,but we all luv those little guys like TJ from Phoenix,right. Just a bit of OSU trivia, he will be fun to follow from 2011-2015 up there in Oregon.

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 pm

I'm off for two days and Mesa comes back with the best avatar on the board. Impressive.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Agreed. Mesa for the win! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:03 pm

I figured I had to make it up to you guys some way. Geez ,your teguilla with the "worm" in it is on the way in Feb. if you don't watch out. Rocky Point (Resort Area/Spring Break hotspot/Site of PSU BB Players arrest,opps...thats a topic for another day) is only 5 hours away.

I think it was AthleticJames or you Robsjacket that passed that "baby" on to me. A classic!!! It was the moment in my life where I stopped cheering for anything related to their bb program. In a milder form kinda like remembering where you were on 9/11. That UCLA game was so exciting, then....... scratch .

My life was changed forever by what happened after the game Beating a Dead Horse ??? I could have cared less who won or loss that game, I was just overwhelmed with the excitement of the game , then........ confused confused confused The odd behavior caught my eye , and unfortunately ruined a tremendously exciting game for a semi-nuetral fan like me. I was just like "what just happened". Mesa was big-time confused after that game.
He had to go to his BB therapist to recover.....

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

College Hoops Net Top 144 Empty Pilots in at #88

Post by PilotNut Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:56 pm

We are #88... http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/2009-10-portland-basketball-preview-88-167126

I was hoping for a little higher... but we have to earn the respect, since we are coming "out of nowhere" in most people's mind...

Overall Rank: #88

Conference Rank: #2 West Coast Conference

2008-09: 19-13, 9-5

2008-09 postseason: CIT

Coach: Eric Reveno (37-58 at Portland, 37-58 overall)

After going 18-45 during his first two years at Portland, Coach Eric Reveno finally made some progress during his third season. The Pilots ended up being one of the most pleasant surprises in all of college basketball. Yet, by the end of the year, the team was worn down and limped to the finish line. Still, this was a great year for the team and it ended with a trip to the postseason. With everybody who played significant minutes back, Portland hopes to win their first ever postseason game in 2009-2010.

Key Losses: none

Key Newcomers:

The Pilots will not have any new faces on the team this year since the only departure is center John Hegarty, who only played in seven games and averaged a mere 7.7 minutes last year due to injuries. With four projected starters being seniors, it will be important that some of the younger players start to show some promise or this team will regress back to their old losing ways. But, for now, this should be the year that Portland makes a serious run in the West Coast Conference.

Backcourt:

It was the arrival of junior college All-American point guard T.J. Campbell that really turned this team around. Campbell ran the offense very well from day one last year and should be even better in year two. Even more impressive than his 4.7 assists per game was his three-point shooting percentage. Campbell shot an incredible 53.1 percent from beyond the arc and connected on 2.4 long balls per game. That was pretty much the extent of his offense and he could turn into a superb scorer if he mixes it up a little more and finds a way to score around the basket. Nik Raivio is not a bad outside shooter, but he does a lot of scoring around the basket as well. The 6-4 senior led the team with 16.0 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.2 steals last year and will take all the big shots for the Pilots.

Frontcourt:

Most of the scoring will come out of the backcourt, but the Pilots frontcourt deserves some accolades too. Robin Smeulders, a 6-10 senior, has developed into the best interior scorer on the team. Yet, he can also step outside and hit the mid-range jumper with relative consistency. Kramer Knutson is the more traditional back to the basket big man and should again be starting beside Smeulders. Junior Luke Sikma is a perfect backup to those two and arguably the best rebounder on the team. Ethan Niedermeyer spent most of last year starting at the small forward position. Mostly the 6-6 senior is an outside shooter, but because of his size he can help out on the glass as well.

Who to Watch:

Niedermeyer may be starting again, but Jared Stohl will likely be on the floor at the end of the game. Despite only earning seven starts during the 2009-2010 campaign, Stohl ranked second on the team with 11.2 points per game. And on a team that already has two great shooters, Stohl was the most prolific outside shooter last year, connecting on nearly three three-pointers per game. However, like Campbell, Stohl does not score very often in other ways. While Campbell will get to the basket and find his teammates, Stohl just rarely moves towards the basket at all. Now an upperclassman, the 6-1 junior needs to be more aggressive and turn into more than just a shooter.

Final Projection:

If Stohl does become more aggressive it will be really hard to keep him out of the starting lineup. The team may struggle on the glass in that scenario, but Stohl has the potential to emerge as a terrific scorer. Even if he does not, Portland has more talent on this roster than they have had in a long, long time. Maybe they will not be in the NCAA Tournament, but they could win a postseason game in any of the other tournaments.

Projected Post-season Tournament: CBI/CIT

Projected Starting Five:

T.J. Campbell, Senior, Guard, 11.1 points per game

Nik Raivio, Senior, Guard, 16.0 points per game

Ethan Niedermeyer, Senior, Forward, 4.5 points per game

Robin Smeulders, Senior, Forward, 10.6 points per game

Kramer Knutson, Junior, Forward, 6.5 points per game

PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Stohl is huge... But really I think they are missing the boat on Sikma... I think he is going to prove to be the X-factor on this team. Already arguably the best passer, if his offensive game gains confidence, lookout for Luke...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:38 pm

I think that there are a few things to keep in mind here. First of all, I'd like to take a moment to soak in the fact that we cracked the Top 100. We are gaining momentum as a program and, in turn, we are gaining national attention. This alone is a huge step for Rev and his program.

Also, we should keep in mind that when you are ranking as many teams as there are in college basketball, the difference between teams in any given range can be very minimal. So yes, we are ranked 88 BUT I believe that there probably won't be much, if any, difference between us and #78 or even #68. Exact placement become arbitrary, especially once you are out of the Top 25 or so.

This is a huge accomplishment for the Pilots and I have faith that our play will back up the positive hype we are getting in the basketball world.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next