Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campus expansion

+10
DoubleDipper
DaTruRochin
Rochin54
PurplePrideTrumpet
thepuck
wrv
Stonehouse
Geezaldinho
mikemac65
PilotNut
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Campus expansion Empty Campus expansion

Post by PilotNut Fri May 11, 2007 2:44 pm

Has anyone heard an update on the land acquisition? I havent heard a peep, and cant find anything online.

I know that the selling party raised a stink right at the last minute, but I havent heard anything else...

It is going to be sweet having the new lower riverfront campus! Cool

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Campus expansion Empty Re: Campus expansion

Post by mikemac65 Sat May 12, 2007 3:09 pm

Reports from the Oregonian stated that the University was in the process of legal action against the Zidell corporation that owns the land in question. Zidell refused to include a small island off the premises in the acquisition. They use the island to moor ships that they later salvage. It would be an eyesore given the close proximity to the land in question. Hopefully this problem can be solved to best interests of the university. Zidell is trying to claim that the island was not included in the proposed sale.

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Campus expansion Empty Thanks

Post by PilotNut Mon May 21, 2007 3:55 pm

I hope both sides can get this resolved ASAP...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Campus expansion Empty who owns it?

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Interesting position Zydell has taken.

PortlandMaps.com lists only one tax lot in the vicinity. Either the islands are attached to the tax lot, or Zydell has squatted in them without paying city and state taxes for all these years. I wonder what the back taxes would be? Or better yet, who the true owner is?

You can check it out at Portlandmaps.com. tax lot number R315775
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:35 am

Actually... I'm pretty sure that what was described earlier as the problem isn't actually the issue. The off-shore docks have always supposed to stay with Zidell.

The real problem is that Zidell is trying to find any way possible to back out of his purchase and sale agreement because he would be patrially on the hook for future liability on the land in case there ever needs to be an extensive environmental clean-up. UP was smart enough to work out a deal with the DEQ and EPA to protect itself before the purchase. Zidell wasn't so smart when he bought the property. What he really wants is to dump the land on someone that will take all possibe liability off his hands, which isn't going to happen.

I think UP will still get the land, but I think it will still take some time to hammer everything out.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:36 am

Actually... I'm pretty sure that what was described earlier as the problem isn't actually the issue. The off-shore docks have always supposed to stay with Zidell.

The real problem is that Zidell is trying to find any way possible to back out of his purchase and sale agreement because he would be patrially on the hook for future liability on the land in case there ever needs to be an extensive environmental clean-up. UP was smart enough to work out a deal with the DEQ and EPA to protect itself before the purchase. Zidell wasn't so smart when he bought the property. What he really wants is to dump the land on someone that will take all possibe liability off his hands, which isn't going to happen.

I think UP will still get the land, but I think it will still take some time to hammer everything out.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:08 pm

The linked article suggests a trial date of October 1, though it looks like there is yet no resolution to the University's lawsuit with Zidell. I read something from the St John's Sentinel which suggests the lawsuit is about Zidell wishing to retain mooring rights to the property. I am uncertain whether those mooring rights are to the offshore island mentioned or to Triangle Park itself.

Please note the U also obtained on option on the adjacent land. The campus may well be expanded significantly in the next few years. Hmmn?

Is there any indication when the University's lawsuit with Zidell will be resolved?

http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2007/07/09/story6.html?page=1

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:53 am

Mmm... I'm guessing this will never reach a trial. Too much at risk for both sides if that were to happen.

With any luck it will be settled before Roy Heynderickx leaves for USD:

http://media.www.the-beacon.net/media/storage/paper1193/news/2007/09/20/News/Heynderickx.To.Depart.After.27.Years-2990342.shtml

Definitely a big loss there... I really don't understand why they would let a guy go who has been at UP for so long and has done such a terrific job.

I'm guessing his departure means that another Domer will end up on the fourth floor of Waldschmidt, which is OK I guess, but it was nice to know there was at least one "outsider" in the group. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Campus expansion Empty A loss

Post by PilotNut Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:00 am

A loss, for UP, for sure. But considering how long he has been around, I cant say I blame him. And change can be a good thing... it is good to pump some new blood into the higher levels of management now and then.

I didnt really know him, but he seemed like a good guy from what I read/heard.

Best of luck to Roy, and to Fr. Beauchamp who has the not-fun task of replacing him.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:15 am

Oh you definitely can't blame him for going down to San Diego... I heard the weather is nice down there! Wink
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:16 am

There's an article in The Beacon about the plans for the new dorms... sounds pretty cool!:

http://media.www.the-beacon.net/media/storage/paper1193/news/2008/02/28/News/Dorm-Details.Revealed-3242594.shtml?reffeature=popuarstoriestab
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:24 am

Hmmm, it doesnt say where they would build them....?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:31 am

Easy answer, next to the University Village... more specific, they will be on the field between Strong St. and Haggarty Hall, but closer to Monteith than Van Houten, I'm pretty sure. I know they want to keep at least some of that field open.

I think it's cool that they will add a coffeeshop over there too... it's sorely needed. The Cove is just too far away from there... takes a long time to walk back and forth. I also hope that it will make that part of the campus feel more "college-like" instead of just plopped into the neighborhood.

Long, long term I've heard that there are plans to make Portsmouth the main entrance and to take away the current main entrance and use that space for something else. Not sure if that will ever happen, but it would be interesting.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by thepuck Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:34 am

I think making Portsmouth would be pretty cool. They would need to add a lot more to that end of campus first though. Even with the new dorms, the center of campus will still probably be around Franz.
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 pm

@ thepuck: Definitely would need to add more over there. But IF the land deal finally goes through and they build a new baseball field down there, chances are the new Howard Hall and a new academic building will be built on land where Joe Etzel Field is right now.

Also, that gated off part of Portsmouth leads directy down to the land below, so it would make sense to make it the main entrance, especially if they add parking down there and put in some kind of shuttle system or an elevator up the Bluff. (Don't laugh... really an option.)
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:45 pm

I saw new land by the river. A stadium with a backdrop of the river and West Hills would be awesome. And the students could definitely use a new Howard Hall.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Ah... that really would be a dream scenerio, wouldn't it?

Another thing that is supposed to happen with that land below is for the Physical Plant to move down there and for the current P-Plant building to be converted to lab space for the Engineering building and I suppose other science stuff too. Apparantly because it has such thick concrete walls it will better adhere to safety standards for labs and allow them to do some things they currently can't.

And when the Engineering Building is done (I guess I better get used to calling it Shiley Hall) and if the land below is purchased, I think it woudl be cool to move the Tennis Center down there too and "reclaim" that part of campus. It's really pretty over there, but right now it looks a bit run down with a ton of asphalt, the P-Plant and the tennis center. I think a major makeover could happen there... maybe that would allow for an expansion of The Commons (much needed) or even another small building (I think a little grocery store would be AWESOME) or even just some green space over there.

Ah... so much potential on that campus. But the lynch pin is the land below... once that is done, a lot can happen.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Mack's Market??
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Mack's Market has been gone for several years... I forget the story, but I think there was some drama between the owner and the U, and the place ended up closing.

I think the area could really use a little market nearby... right now even AM/PM is closed!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:39 pm

PilotNut wrote:Mack's Market has been gone for several years... I forget the story, but I think there was some drama between the owner and the U, and the place ended up closing.

I think the area could really use a little market nearby... right now even AM/PM is closed!

Yeah... Mack's ran into some problems with the OLCC about selling to minors and the building was in MAJOR disrepair, and I think UP (who owned the property) just kind of decided to give them six month's notice and then tear it down. I think at the time there were plans to build something there (like a little house or something), but the plot of the land is very small and nothing worked out, so it's just a grassy field.

The problem with opening a new store is that the whole neighborhood is zoned residential and you can't open up a business in them without a special waiver. Mack's was grandfathered in because it had been there forever, but since it was torn down I think they lost the grandfather rights.

They could open something up on campus though, and I think that would be soooo great for students and faculty/staff. I think Bon Appetit has exclusive rights to sell food items on campus, so it would have to be run by them, but that might even be better since then kids could use their points there. I remember they tried to run a little store out of the Commons when I was there, but it didn't work out because there wasn't space and you had to order stuff on paper instead of actually just picking it up. And the Cove already has a limited selection of stuff... they could clear up some space there for more food options if they had a store somewhere on campus. (No need to sell 12 packs of pop, pints of ice cream, milk, etc. at the Cove with a store.)

That has been an idea of mine for a long time... it's hard for freshmen to get to Fred Meyer's and Safeway if they don't have a car, and there are always times when you need/want something when the Commons is closed and the Cove doesn't have it.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:56 pm

But who will sell beer to underaged youths?? scratch

lol!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:05 pm

The co-founders of Purple Pride, of course! Oh... wait... um... Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:49 pm

I plead the fifth.... geek
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by thepuck Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:08 pm

I totally agree that with the extension and the additions of whatever they'll put on etzel field it'd be a cool entrance. I'm thinking more that Holy Cross court would be a little strange to have in the middle of campus.
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:05 am

Yeah, Holy Cross Court would kind of be an odd-duck right in the middle of all that. But as far as I know that isn't high on the list of things that are going to be replaced, so it might just be chilling out there for a while. Of course, most of this stuff we are talking about won't happen for 5-8 years any way, so maybe the need for a new HCC will be higher then. It is a large piece of property... they could definitely do something with that land. And considering that UP owns so many houses all over the place, maybe they could tear a few down (like they did for the Village) and build a new place for the priests. Who knows?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next