Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reveno Mentioned As Potential Candidate for USC

+4
Rochin54
DaTruRochin
MesaPilot1
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

Reveno Mentioned As Potential Candidate for USC Empty Reveno Mentioned As Potential Candidate for USC

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:02 pm

I was expecting this the minute I heard Tim Floyd resigned from USC. Rev is a Pac-10 guy who engineered a nice turn-around here on the Bluff. He's likely to be mentioned for many job openings between now and the end of next season. This is just a list from Jeff Goodman of Fox:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2009/06/10/TEN_THAT_USCS_MIKE_GARRETT_SHOULD_TARGET_AND_COULD_GET

He lists four WCC coaches - Bennett, Keating, Reveno, and.... Grier? Strange. The first three make sense, but after the season Bill Grier had last year and his inability to get/keep his own recruits I think lots of luster has come off of that NCAA win.

Personally, I can't imagine USC being happy with a guy like Reveno. We all know he would do a fine job, but USC is all about the name and the glamour... and a guy with an overall losing record and one winning season at Portland isn't going to get the Trojan boosters jumping. If they can't find a "name" candidate, I bet they'll do what Arizona did and ride out next season with an interim guy and do a true search next Spring.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Reveno Mentioned As Potential Candidate for USC Empty Re: Reveno Mentioned As Potential Candidate for USC

Post by MesaPilot1 Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Nice complement for Rev. But ,I don't think one good year makes him too lucrative. I don't see him leaving too soon for any job except Stanford. That's one I believe he really WANTS if it opens up in the future.

Who knows though coaching in the Pac-Ten is lucrative. I just hope he stays around for awhile Rolling Eyes .

MesaPilot Smile

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Reveno Mentioned As Potential Candidate for USC Empty Re: Reveno Mentioned As Potential Candidate for USC

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Well, like I said, I really don't think he would be one of USC's top choices. And I also think Reveno would really like to see next season through at least, not only because the senior class is his first recruiting class but also because I think he knows the Pilots have a tremendous opportunity next season.

Having said all that, if USC were to throw a ton of money at him... you never know. Rev is a normal guy just like everyone else, and if someone offered me a salary that knocked on the door of seven figures... well... I definitely wouldn't hold it against him.

But really, if any WCC coach gets an offer I would imagine it would be Bennett. SMC has a long history of success during his tenure and with Simpson and Mills both gone know it potentially could be the "right" time for him. Plus, SMC already has a coach-in-waiting in Kyle Smith so Bennett could feel "OK" about the transition.

Still, I would imagine it will be a "name" coach... Theus maybe? Or Musselman?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:47 pm

Yeah I don't think this is really the time for Rev to go. After this season I will be sweating bullets as the big schools start to loom over to vulture coaches from the minnows. And besides, do you really think he would leave after donning a Speedo for these players? I think not.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Yeah... plus Rev is a smart guy and since the NCAA has now combined the Reggie Bush/OJ Mayo investigations, it's very possible the hammer could come down hard on USC basketball. Most people would want to wait and see how that shakes down before agreeing to take the job there.

Which is again why I bet they go the interim route for a year.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Stonehouse wrote:

If by interim you mean Don Sutton, then yes, I agree 100%
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:52 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:

If by interim you mean Don Sutton, then yes, I agree 100%
drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:34 am

Well I say that Rev wants to stay on the Bluff for a long time to come. I mean, have you people not been following his tweets!!?? Going to the Timbers game, Powell's Books, kicking it with Rob Conner....dude is falling in love. That is good news.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:35 am

Two things...

1) Did you mean Eddie Sutton? Because I don't get the connection between interim and the lowest-common-demoniator pitcher in the Hall of Fame. No offense to Sutton fans, but the arguments for pitchers not in the Hall inevitably include a (usually favorable) comparison of his stats to Don Sutton's.

2) I have indeed been following his Twitter and not only is he talking about the city and how he's enjoying it, I know that he has also forged lots of good friendships and working relationships at the athletic department and across campus. He fits in tremendously well on The Bluff. He knows he is at a good place and I know he is loyal to his players as well as the place that gave him his first head coaching opportunity.

On the other hand, he also is a father of young children and still a young guy himself... money is still important. He has worked incredibly hard to get the Pilots to where they are right now, and if we have the kind of success that we are all hoping for we have to prepare ourselves for the inevitibility of him being an attractive candidate for schools able to pay a lot more money than UP.

However, in our own conference there are examples of coaches (Few and Bennett) who have seen great success and who have stayed put. So it's not like there is no precedent for that happening. But for that to happen with Rev, I think the onus is on "us" (the collective UP community). Students have to fill that section to overflowing. Alumni need to buy more tickets and get more involved.

We all need to become salesmen and advocates for our team. The best thing we as fans can do to help keep Reveno here (and I think we all agree we got a great one in Rev) is come to all the games and bring a friend or three. We need to make the Chiles Center the type of place where Rev can sit there on the bench, look around, and not see empty seats and a passive student section but the type of crowd where he will say to himself "I'd be crazy to ever leave here."

Because as of last year, the excuse about not winning is out the window. I know it takes time to build something special and I know that sometimes despite all efforts things need to happen organically to work (Purple Pride a good example of that) - but if after two or more seasons of 20+ wins, top-half WCC finishes, and decent-to-good home schedules the Chiles Center is still the same... who could blame Rev for leaving for a greener pasture? "We" (again, a general we, not us here... obviously the people posting on Pilot Nation are die-hards who bleed purple) have to improve the same way the team has and put in some of the same kind of work Reveno has to make the Chiles Center the kind of place opposing teams fear.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:59 am

Stonehouse wrote:Two things...

1) Did you mean Eddie Sutton? Because I don't get the connection between interim and the lowest-common-demoniator pitcher in the Hall of Fame. No offense to Sutton fans, but the arguments for pitchers not in the Hall inevitably include a (usually favorable) comparison of his stats to Don Sutton's.

2) I have indeed been following his Twitter and not only is he talking about the city and how he's enjoying it, I know that he has also forged lots of good friendships and working relationships at the athletic department and across campus. He fits in tremendously well on The Bluff. He knows he is at a good place and I know he is loyal to his players as well as the place that gave him his first head coaching opportunity.

On the other hand, he also is a father of young children and still a young guy himself... money is still important. He has worked incredibly hard to get the Pilots to where they are right now, and if we have the kind of success that we are all hoping for we have to prepare ourselves for the inevitibility of him being an attractive candidate for schools able to pay a lot more money than UP.

However, in our own conference there are examples of coaches (Few and Bennett) who have seen great success and who have stayed put. So it's not like there is no precedent for that happening. But for that to happen with Rev, I think the onus is on "us" (the collective UP community). Students have to fill that section to overflowing. Alumni need to buy more tickets and get more involved.

We all need to become salesmen and advocates for our team. The best thing we as fans can do to help keep Reveno here (and I think we all agree we got a great one in Rev) is come to all the games and bring a friend or three. We need to make the Chiles Center the type of place where Rev can sit there on the bench, look around, and not see empty seats and a passive student section but the type of crowd where he will say to himself "I'd be crazy to ever leave here."

Because as of last year, the excuse about not winning is out the window. I know it takes time to build something special and I know that sometimes despite all efforts things need to happen organically to work (Purple Pride a good example of that) - but if after two or more seasons of 20+ wins, top-half WCC finishes, and decent-to-good home schedules the Chiles Center is still the same... who could blame Rev for leaving for a greener pasture? "We" (again, a general we, not us here... obviously the people posting on Pilot Nation are die-hards who bleed purple) have to improve the same way the team has and put in some of the same kind of work Reveno has to make the Chiles Center the kind of place opposing teams fear.

I think this may be the post of the year so far. Bravo, Stonehouse! I couldnt agree more.
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:04 am

Why would Rev want to go to a damaged program?

He's created minor miracles on the bluff, but whoever goes to USC will no doubt have to contend with reduced scholarships after the Mayo thing plays out, and USC isn't exactly known as a place that would be understanding about poor results even making allowances for that.

Recruits are opting out, scholarships will probably be taken away after NCAA investigations play out, and the possibility of the denial of tournament play hangs in the air.

The next USC coach is going to be the sacrificial lamb and get tossed as soon as the NCAA sanctions go away.

Not exactly the place for a young coach to build his career....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:23 pm

I knew it was a Sutton of some kind... I think living in Tacoma is slowly eating away my brain...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Names I've heard USC considering... Or at least so say the speculators (yes, that is now a word)... Have included:
Bennett
Jeff Van Gundy (I say NO, I enjoy his whiny banter during basketball games), Bob Knight (No, seriously...)
Dan Monson
Jamie Dixon
Reggie Theus - Hey, his teams on Hang Time were pretty damn good...

Mike Davis
and would you believe... this guy:
Reveno Mentioned As Potential Candidate for USC Eustachy4_i
Larry Eustachy... no seriouisly...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Hey Larry was a pretty good coach at Iowa State. He just had a drinking problem and got caught at one too many college student partys.

Maybe he has his drinking under control, because coaching is not his problem. BTW Floyd was head coach at ISU too.

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Yeah, but is Los Angeles really the right city for a guy who struggles with sobriety?
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:49 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Yeah, but is Los Angeles really the right city for a guy who struggles with sobriety?

*cough* Bill Bayno *cough*
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:51 pm

(Too soon?)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:42 am

Theus did an alright job, but I always thought Dick Butkus took Deering High School to the next level.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14 pm

University of Second Choice...or third, fourth, fifth, sixth...

Beating a Dead Horse
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down