Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clay Williams is stronger than Austin Daye!

+3
DaTruRochin
mattywizz
pilotpurple
7 posters

Go down

Clay Williams is stronger than Austin Daye! Empty Clay Williams is stronger than Austin Daye!

Post by pilotpurple Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:30 pm

I personally witnessed UP graduated senior super fan Clay Williams put up 185 on the bench press (no sweat) three times. That would be three more times than Austin Daye at the NBA Draft Combine.

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/6301

pilotpurple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Clay Williams is stronger than Austin Daye! Empty Re: Clay Williams is stronger than Austin Daye!

Post by mattywizz Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:01 pm

wow, which one is less impressive??? j/k
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Clay Williams is stronger than Austin Daye! Empty Re: Clay Williams is stronger than Austin Daye!

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Haha if only Clay had an 11-3 vertical jump....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Yeah...bench press for the NBA draft is one of those things that's almost completely irrelevant. Oden was able to bench more than KD, however, KD won ROY after Oden went down with a bum knee.

Watching Colin Cowherd spew off on it on YouTube was hysterical though. Remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LulSsTbflGU
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:59 pm

athleticjames wrote:

Watching Colin Cowherd spew off on it on YouTube was hysterical though. Remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LulSsTbflGU

---and that post sent me on a journey through about 30 of Colin's YouTube vids.

That's 45 minutes I'll never get back.

Thanks....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Ha ha... oh Colin. Though actually what he said made me feel better about Oden. If he can come back around 260-270, I think he'll be a lot better than when he was pushing 300.

Anyway, the interesting thing about Daye is how poorly he scored in athleticism. His speed, leaping, agility... all of his scores were among the lowest. If he's looking for a top 20 guarantee, he didn't do himself any favors.

Wonder if his knee is still bothering him a bit? Or maybe he just is what he is... more skilled than athletic. Hmmm... and he's already 21.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 pm

Actually, scouts are saying that his stock is rising. Although his numbers didn't come out great, he measured a lot better than people were expecting, especially on his wing span. Plus these numbers don't mean really anything for NBA executives. Using that Colin Cowherd video example, look how poorly Durant did, and he's looking to be a great player for years to come.

Daye is in an interesting spot because of his natural ability and the generally weak draft, A lot of scouts are saying because the draft is so shallow, that a late lottery team may pick a guy who could be great, but could also bust.

His biggest set-back right now though is definitely his toughness. And anyone who has seen him play could tell you that. He crys more than anyone i've ever seen.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:20 am

Oh I agree... I think he will be a good pro because of his length and shooting stroke. I mean, the NBA has for a few years now been gravitating toward the shooting big man. I mean, look at Orlando and what they've done with Rashard Lewis as their PF.

I just meant that for a guy like Daye, who doesn't really have great college numbers or any big time signature performances, having poor athleticism measurements can't really help him.

But hey... if they say his stock is rising, I'm glad... Gonzaga without him will be more vulnerable than Gonzaga with him.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:37 am

purplepride13 wrote: He crys more than anyone i've ever seen.

Even more than Micah Downs??

Also, I guess I can't let that go without the obligatory Adam Morrison reference...
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:39 am

Saw this on Dons Central... an interesting take on how Daye tested as "slowest, least athletic player in the entire Draft class".

http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=273

Basically, they question whether or not Daye was dogging it at the combine, by request of a team who wants to draft him. Of course, this makes ZERO sense, because if he tested well than maybe a different team would draft him earlier and that, in turn, would make him more $$$. So yeah... like I said, I think he'll be a decent pro, but if you believe he dogged it at the combine as a favor to a team that likes him, then you are crazy delusional.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Not to mention this draft class is pretty weak/thin, especially with the bigs... if he shows ANY potential/effort he's gonna be a late lottery... I mean you can't teach or improve height and length (I mean if they could, stoney, mattywizz and I would be DOMINATING the league), both of which Daye definitely possesses...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:55 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:I mean if they could, stoney, mattywizz and I would be DOMINATING the league

I don't know... together with Rochin54 and OddBallShoe (why doesn't he post anymore???) our Liquid Refreshments intramural team was pretty good. No one could run the halftime weave like we could.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Stonehouse wrote: OddBallShoe (why doesn't he post anymore???)

Haha I don't think he ever made the switch over from the O-Live boards...

Haha if we could make ourselves taller, the Liquid Refreshments would make the NBA look like the Washington Generals...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Stonehouse wrote:No one could run the halftime weave like we could.

Don't forget about the halftime rope climb along with the jumping out of bounds while calling timeout drill.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 pm

I seem to recall practicing half-court shots as well.

No one could fall out of bounds and call a timeout like the Liquid Refreshments.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Yeah, whether you're a GU fan or not, Daye's potential is pretty tough to deny. The play where he deflected a UConn inbounds pass to himself and utilized his length was a ridiculous one where I started to realize how good he could really be. His length and height are strengths, and his athleticism is probably better than he showed at the combine. I'd be expecting someone to ask him to bulk up a tiny bit though.
That's a pretty easy fix with the personal trainers of the NBA though.

I'm still an apathetic NBA fan at best right now. I admit that I watch games, but, somewhat spitefully since I'm a Sonics fan. I think that Stern will have a stroke the next time a smaller market team like Portland makes the Finals instead of his posterchild Lakers or Celtics.

Watching OKC claim that Gary Payton was one of their highest lottery picks ever during the recent lottery selection show made me mildly sick.

Last edited by athleticjames on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 pm

athleticjames wrote:ayton was one of their highest lottery picks ever during the recent lottery selection show made me mildly sick.

Haha funny that they claim a player that has outwardly said he would never let them retire his jersey in OK City... BUT I digress...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down