Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga's Soccer Field Better Than Merlo???

+2
DaTruRochin
Stonehouse
6 posters

Go down

Gonzaga's Soccer Field Better Than Merlo??? Empty Gonzaga''s Soccer Field Better Than Merlo???

Post by Stonehouse Mon May 18, 2009 4:16 pm

MesaPilot's old friend Angelo is back at it, this time with lots of excuses why Gonzaga can never do well in the Commissioner's Cup. But this bit of fiction jumped out at me:

"Gonzaga now has the best soccer pitch in the conference and when the phases of soccer stadium construction are completed (lights, concession stand, separate soccer locker room) GU will have the best overall soccer facility in the conference--all of which will help recruiting."

http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=20857

OK, so it's possible that the new playing surface itself is just as nice as Merlo, but better? I don't know about that. As for the stadium itself though... all those ameneties he's talking about (lights, concession stands, locker rooms)... yeah, Merlo has had those for a while. Plus it can hold 5,000 people and has held the largest crowds in the country for 4-5 years straight. Oh, and it offers an intimacy and closeness to the pitch that is unmatched in any large soccers stadium in the country. (Hooray for being grandfathered from new distance regulations!)

And, of course, that isn't mentioning the ameneties of the Clive Charles Soccer Complex: the full-sized and lighted all-weather training field and the perfectly level full-sized grass training pitch next to it.

Sorry, but just throwing up some lights, nacho stand, and locker rooms (which plenty of high school fields have) does not a facility better than the CCSC make. I'll admit that I think the bleachers in Merlo could use a sprucing up and we really need better National Championship signs, but that's small potatoes when looking at the big picture.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga's Soccer Field Better Than Merlo??? Empty Re: Gonzaga's Soccer Field Better Than Merlo???

Post by DaTruRochin Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I'll admit that I think the bleachers in Merlo could use a sprucing up and we really need better National Championship signs, but that's small potatoes when looking at the big picture.

Small potatoes indeed, I'd rather spend time worrying about bringing home another one of those signs than quibble with someone up north about whose soccer stadia has a newer coat of paint...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga's Soccer Field Better Than Merlo??? Empty Re: Gonzaga's Soccer Field Better Than Merlo???

Post by PilotNut Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Granted I have only driven past GU's new field, but I dont see how there is any comparison. Yes, it is nice and new, but best in the WCC? Hmmm, not so fast.

I would have to think that SCU (Buck Shaw Stadium, with all the recent improvements for pro soccer), USD (Torero Stadium) and UP (Merlo Field) are all superior facilities. I haven't seen the fields for USF, Pepp, LMU or SMC...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Mon May 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Does it seem to anyone else that the turf at Merlo has gotten a little rough in the last couple of years? I remember that ten years ago it looked like a carpet. Now it looks a little patchy even at the beginning of the season. Maybe that's the inevitable result of 15 years' worth of divots and threats from invasive flora...
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon May 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Gonzaga's place as good as ours? I doubt it.

There is one difference: "Can you hear Gonzaga sing? NO! NO!" Twisted Evil

Look at PGE Park: When you have fantastic supporters you don't need to get fancy.

======
Now that I've read what he wrote, I get the sense he's reassuring the Zag fans that they are still the best at basketball, so GU is still special. Ain't that special.

I hope Mesa reads the soccer forums so he sees this...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 pm

SK its the invasive grasses that cause the most trouble. I have noticed the dropoff in Merlo's quality of grass in the last couple years. At some point fertilizer won't do it anymore you have to start over with fresh sod.

Also PN I can testify that the fields and facilities at Pepp and LMU are really second rate with Pepp being the worst. Although the fans enjoy a breathtaking view of the pacific ocean from the metal bleachers the field is short and narrow and domed. Plus there is a running track around the fields so tight that if you slide or fall into touch you are on the track ouch!
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down