Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now What? Time To Step Up, That's What!

4 posters

Go down

Now What?  Time To Step Up, That's What! Empty Now What? Time To Step Up, That's What!

Post by FANatic Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:20 pm

It is truly devastating to hear of Megan tearing her ACL again. What a nightmare scenario for her personally, plus with Rachael tearing her ACL previously, it must certainly be a tough time for the Rapinoe family right now. All the best to the family and our two beloved players. (The Rapinoe's are really neat people, friends).

Now what? I'll tell you what: We still have the talent and experience to make a run for the Cup. In my opinion, this is the strongest and deepest senior class since the class of 2002. (To refresh your memories, that class won our first national title, with a little help from a certain sophomore striker. A few names that pop out at me from that class include All-American defender Lauren Orlandos, center midfielder Betsy Barr and playmaking midfielder Erin Masaki).

This year's senior group has great experience and leadership skills, but won't be fully together until Stephanie Lopez returns from China in October. Led by redshirt senior's Lopez and Angie Woznuk, the senior group also includes the very talented and experienced Natalie Budge, Michele Scifo, Emily Michaelson and Kelli Cronkrite. Rachael Rapinoe is also in this class, (and so was Megan Rapinoe before redshirting her freshman season), but now, apparently Rachael will use a medical redshirt to return next season. Recall that all of these student-athletes were members of the 2005 national title team.

Add to that group a very talented sophomore class led my the explosive Michelle Enyeart, the smooth and dangerous Kendra Chandhoke, the quick and consistent Megan Sweeney, (when she returns from her injury), and new and internationally experienced goalkeeper Kelsey Davis.

Finally, the seventh ranked (Soccer Buzz Magazine) freshman class in the nation with major early contributions from Elli Reed, Keelin Winters, Sara Jackman and Jessica Tsao.

Oh, and let's not forget the efforts of junior center-back Korie Nicholson, either. And starting midfielder for the Canadian national team Sophie Schmidt should be here soon, following Canada's recent ouster from the Women's World Cup 2007 in China. (For the players I left out, your time will come)!

These unique, very talented individuals from various areas of the country, as well as one from our neighbor up north, Canada, all have come together, (or soon WILL BE all together), for one common purpose: to continue the traditions and add to the legacies that are unique to Plilot Women's Soccer. Come together now ladies, with your coaches, families, friends and we, your devoted fans, to fight as warriors and champions in the face of this adversity.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Now What?  Time To Step Up, That's What! Empty Re: Now What? Time To Step Up, That's What!

Post by fuzzywozie Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:51 pm

hi everyone,
i just discovered this site an im am very excited being a huge fan of the pilot women since teffeny's senior season. i know as much as everyone is anticiapting sophie's return, i have to say that i have been increibly impressed by keelin winters from the very fisrt game of the season. even though she only played about 30 minutes of the game, she was not overwhelmed like sara jackman obviously was. an in the game since, she's earned more an more playing time to the point she's starting an earning defensive player of the tourney for the nike classic this last weekend. the thing that stikes me most about her is out outstanding she is in the air. run more set pieces for her in the box an we will see our offensvie output jump i think.

fuzzywozie
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-09-22

Back to top Go down

Now What?  Time To Step Up, That's What! Empty Re: Now What? Time To Step Up, That's What!

Post by GUPhantom Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:01 am

Michelle Enyeart can and will step up. She has some awesome roots. Her background stems from a club that has produced some of the best Pilot soccer players of all time. I've actually been keeping an eye on this club since the Pilots won their first championship.

Check out the Laguna Hills Soccer Club website. Its no wonder they're successful. They have some very strong ties to Clive!

http://www.lagunahillseclipse.com/

Click on Tribute and you'll see why! The LH players had already been schooled by one of Clive's close friend and protoje. Laguna Hills was actually modeled after FC Portland. So, add another 4 years for the gals to continue to play together at UP no less...well we all know what happened after that....

Click on Photos and then Click on the NCAA Championship Trophy. You'll see an outstanding group of Pilot soccer players from Laguna Hills (Lauren Orlandos, Kristen Moore, Imani Dorsey and Erin Misaki). WOW!!! We were so lucky to have them play at UP. I don't think you can do any better than that group of recruits, huh? Who'll ever see that happen again? To me...that was a total COUP D'ETAT by CLIVE!!

Click on Alumni. You'll see some very notable alumni who have played for Laguna Hills. Of course, I always thought we recruited the best ones. But, you'll see Santa Clara has stocked its cupboards with many LH players. Many of the Broncos are very familiar names (previous and current players) to us.

The biggest name you might notice is Shannon Boxx...who decided to go to Notre Dame....But why Shannon? You'll also notice Amy Rodriguez who's currently with USC. She was the Gatorade's National HS POY in 2004! We'll see her next weekend against the Pilots!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:30 am

The picture I liked the best was the Laguna Hills kids lined up against the rail at Merlo.

If they came to a Friday night game, they'll be Pilots.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:54 am

Welcome to the forum, fuzzywozie!

Great point about Keelin. She does get up there on headers. I think having her in the box more on set pieces is an excellent idea. We are wasting opportunities on corner kicks. Keelin would help, I agree. (Any bets on who takes the corners when Stephanie Lopez returns)?

According to one of my sources, Keelin wasn't heavily recruited by the big name programs around the country. She was kind of flying under the radar for some reason. The Pilots feel very fortunate to have her, and I was told before the season to expect big things from her. There's no doubt the coaching staff knew she was going to be very good.

Thanks for the Laguna Hills tip and link, Phantom. I will check that out later when I have more time. Please keep us posted on any Laguna Hills future Pilot recruits, as you mentioned that you continue to follow the club. This club seems to have an ongoing up-and-coming pool of dynamos, which explains to me how they discovered Michelle Enyeart.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down