Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WPS on FSC schedule...

+12
fan from afar
aleppiek
SoreKnees
Indigo Kid
estplnr
DaTruRochin
UPSoccerFanatic
Auto Pilot
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
mattywizz
onetouchfutbol
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

WPS on FSC schedule... - Page 3 Empty Re: WPS on FSC schedule...

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:16 pm

PilotPoser wrote:Now after watching several of the games it seems like the skill level of the older players is not on par with the top girls that will be graduating in the next 2 years.

Are you sure about that? Millbrett just had a game winner, and Kristine Lilly has not lost a step and can really still get behind defenses... Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment, but, from what I can tell I disagree. (Not to nitpick, but, at the collegiate and pro levels I'd call the players women instead of girls...)

--------------------------------------------

On another note...

Marta has been pretty amazing in the games I've seen. Complaining about her is like noticing a one inch scratch in the Mercedes; I don't get it.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:33 pm

purple haze wrote:Speaking of Germany, am I right in thinking German players are not involved in WSL? Seems like they were stalwarts in WUSA -- Birgit Prinz and Maren Meinert et al -- and really established themselves in that league.

There are pro teams in Germany (and Sweden). The pay differential may not justify the move here. This new league isn't paying anything like the WUSA did.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:47 pm

athleticjames wrote:
PilotPoser wrote:Now after watching several of the games it seems like the skill level of the older players is not on par with the top girls that will be graduating in the next 2 years.

Are you sure about that? Millbrett just had a game winner, and Kristine Lilly has not lost a step and can really still get behind defenses... Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment, but, from what I can tell I disagree.

Maybe he means players older only when compared to the players who will be coming up in a couple years. The gap I see is the age group that was frozen out of high level competition during "the lost years". If you weren't on the National Team, you sat on the couch and ate snack food. I'll admit some of the recent attacking players From the last 3 or 4 years haven't shown me much, and I still scratch my head that a couple of them made the WNT.

And I don't know that you can say Millie has hit her stride yet. She's only playing limited minutes, and don't forget how totally dominant she was just a few years ago. Her pace will pick up as she plays more high level games, then it will be pretty hard to keep her off the pitch.

I say it's too early to make those kinds of judgments yet. Let them play half a season first, after they get to know each other a little.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:00 am

AJ evidently my comments on some of the older players were to general. Millbrett and Kristine Lilly (my all time favorite player) can definitely play in this league. Kristine has lost a step but her experience, focus, and level of commitment more than compensate. This is not the case for some of the other older players and I think they will cycle through the teams quickly as new younger players become available.

Now that I am in my 50's and have kids in their 20's I guess maybe I need some clarification on when girls become women. And since we are nitpicking maybe you can clarify this for me so that I don't make the same mistake in the future...

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:11 am

Maybe you could name the players who you are talking about in order to clarify then, PilotPoser. Isn't it just natural that some younger players would surpass older players over time though? The talent level is better than the WUSA though if that's what you meant.

I think Milbrett is doing very well for a 38-year-old player, PGeezer. I'm assuming she's about 38 now; she was a classmate of mine. She's a good 15 years older than players like Rapinoe taken at the top of the draft, and yet she still knows how to convert better than most players. It would be a treat to see her on the field at the same time as Chastain and Sinclair more often, but, there's a fair amount of talent on that team. Penn State's Wiemer could continue to improve a lot with just a little bit of coaching...

The main difference in women's soccer that I've noticed over the years is that other countries like Brazil and Germany have clearly caught up with the US. The women's sport has become more international. Unfortunately, the average fans don't pay enough attention and still just talk about Mia Hamm as if she's still the face of the sport. She was a great spokesperson, but, was always given more credit than she deserved in my opinion...

--------------------------------------------

Sorry, there's no particular age when girls become women. It's a subjective thing. I tend to start using the word when people go to college though, but, that's just me. I'm working on having more respect for people older than me in my posts. Embarassed (Ashamed avatar...)
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:51 am

Tiff is going to be mad at you. you aged her 2 years -- tsk, Tsk. Embarassed

USSoccer makes the distinction to adulthood at u17. - probably as good an age as any. FIFA doesn't make a distinction, but there is no World Cup play before u16.

At that age boys become men and girls become women in the soccer world.

And in much of the world that's true in fact, also. AJ put up a video of the Superclásico. One of the River Stars of the game was Falcao, who's only 17 and just came from some u17 competition. Bounonotte is only 18, I think, and he's been on the River first squad for a couple of years.
Maradona was on a World Cup team at 17, as was Messi.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:58 am

Wayne Rooney was 17 when he exploded for Everton (and a year later for England at the WC), and I think Michael Owen was 18 for his first sensational cup... Haha Pele wasn't even 18 when he was playing in his first Final...

And Manchester United just had an Italian player debut at 17 (Fredrico Macheda), haha he had 2 game winners in his first 2 matches!

And I think you can't officially sign an pro contract until you turn 18 internationally (that may even be a fifa rule, but I'm not sure), you can be on the youth squad but I'm fairly certain those contracts aren't official paid pro contracts.... I mean unless you are Freddy Adu making your 16 year old MLS debut (and THAT was a huge success Shocked )
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue May 12, 2009 6:32 pm

WPS standings:

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/standings/standings.aspx

Marta's team...or should we say Stephanie Cox's team sits in first...

Nice photo of Rapinoe by the standings too...

----------------------------------------

WPS promotions on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/womensprosoccer
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed May 13, 2009 1:16 pm

PilotPoser wrote:It's been an interesting process to follow as they have allocated national team players, drafted college players, and moved through tryouts to finalize the teams. I was originally concerned that because of the depth of the teams right now that it would be difficult for new players to make the rosters for the next couple of years because it didn't seem like there would be much turnover. Now after watching several of the games it seems like the skill level of the older players is not on par with the top girls that will be graduating in the next 2 years. I think as these players graduate and move onto these teams the overall quality of play in the league is going to improve substantially.

Since this is the first year of the league we are only getting a snapshot of the talent that is currently the right age age and skill level for this league. As more talented younger players come out of college expect to see the cream rise to the top and some less skilled players be surpassed.

I am hoping that next years draft will not compartmentalize the National Team, Internationals and "other" players and let each team draft according to its needs. I also hope trades might be allowed so that teams can get the right players for the system they want to play. All in all though I think the skill level I have been watching every Sunday is pretty high. By the way I take back what I have said about the Brazilians. They have been fantastic. I have also been impressed with the international stars from other countries. To me this says the winner of the next world cup will be the country with the deepest team skill level. I think Pia realizes this and wants to make sure she has a look at every potential player in the U.S that might be ready to step up in 2011.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed May 13, 2009 1:37 pm

[quote="Auto Pilot"]
PilotPoser wrote:
I am hoping that next years draft will not compartmentalize the National Team, Internationals and "other" players and let each team draft according to its needs.

I would be shocked if they do a similar thing next year, and unless 75% of the players leave the league next year it really won't be necessary. The purpose of this was to create a relatively balanced league for the first year and to fill out the rosters. They won't need to conduct such a draft in the future since the core of each team will already be established...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed May 13, 2009 4:24 pm

I've been impressed by the league's use of Facebook to make people aware of games, players, ads, etc. It's been a great way to unite like-minded supporters of women's soccer.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon May 18, 2009 9:58 pm

The very existence of Women's Premier Soccer League has slipped past me like a hard, low shot on a wet pitch. Looks like the Portland Rain is another local team to follow. http://www.wpsl.info/rain/
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon May 18, 2009 11:18 pm

purple haze wrote:The very existence of Women's Premier Soccer League has slipped past me like a hard, low shot on a wet pitch. Looks like the Portland Rain is another local team to follow. http://www.wpsl.info/rain/
PH I think it must be that you are otherwise occupied at 3 on Sunday. WPS Sunday is the highlight of my week.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by scrfn Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:58 pm

For sure we watch! Show your support most of our girls should end up there in the Pro's Laughing we hope... Rapinoe has been doing great despite the standings.. I am very surprised to see them drop to 2nd last place out of 7 teams.. but the standings are so close in points that may cahnge and the 1st place team Ca SOl is only a few games from their season completion..time will tell... come on Megan.
scrfn
scrfn
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by scrfn Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:01 pm

The Womens national team plays this month on FSC as well... 2 times check your local listings they play the 19th and 22nd vs Canada...
scrfn
scrfn
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:31 am

Ah, it's great to be an Easterner and be able to watch the national team (Meghan, Stephanie, maybe Sophie?) when they come to Rochester. Not so great being here in the fall, though.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Don't forget, you'll also get to see Christine, she's not to shabby either...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I love watching Christine play, even against the U.S. Definitely not at all shabby. I really wish I had been a UP fan when she was there. She seems to have had it all (and still does, of course) - the skill, the competitiveness, great team player, and the ability to knock the ball into the nets. I love watching the tapes of her playing at UP.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:35 pm

That was a pretty amazing 5 years, right from the first game we saw her, (at UW her freshman year, in my case.

There were a bunch of us who just broke into grins in the stands and said to each other "this is going to be a fun era"

Right from the start, she had Championship written all over her.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:46 pm

No doubt!! Christine was a beautiful player to watch live and the primary catalyst who took the Pilot program to the top echelons of the college soccer world.... end result... 2 NCAA Championships in the Trophy Case to admire! Very very cool! Cool Cool

Thanks Christine!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:31 am

Purplegeezer wrote:That was a pretty amazing 5 years, right from the first game we saw her, (at UW her freshman year, in my case.

There were a bunch of us who just broke into grins in the stands and said to each other "this is going to be a fun era"

Geezer, how did the 5 years come about? Injury? Redshirt?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:43 am

fan from afar wrote:
Purplegeezer wrote:That was a pretty amazing 5 years, right from the first game we saw her, (at UW her freshman year, in my case.

Geezer, how did the 5 years come about? Injury? Redshirt?

She took a Redshirt to play for the Canadian National Team in the 2003 World Cup.

She also missed 5 games in 2002 to play for the CNT. I Think she played for the u19's and the full women in the Women's Gold Cup that year.

The most notable game she missed was the Santa Clara Game to decide the Conference championship and the automatic seed, and the final game of the regular season against San Diego. We lost the SCU game 0-1 at Home and tied the USD game 0-0 away.

I remember that Jerry Smith went up to Seattle to bring Ali Wagner back from the Gold Cup for the game, but Clive sat Christine for the last two regular season games.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:30 am

I remember sitting at then-Civic Stadium watching warmups for a match between the US and Canadian national teams in about 1999 or so. Christine was 15 or 16 and playing on the full Canadian side. She was really something special, even in keep-away drills and even at that age. I remember turning to my daughter and commenting that it would be really great if the Pilots were able to attract her and that maybe they would have a chance because she was from Vancouver.

Needless to say, she did not disappoint!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for the tidbits.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:10 pm

less professional, more college......

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next