Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favorite round?

+7
Rob's Jacket
ShipstadPilot11
onetouchfutbol
Rochin54
PilotNut
aleppiek
mattywizz
11 posters

Go down

What is your favorite round? Empty What is your favorite round?

Post by mattywizz Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Just wondering what everyone's favorite round of the tournament is. As fun as this weekend is with the sheer quantity of games, the quality is sometimes lacking. Oftentimes the best games are played between mediocre teams, most of the great teams don't get challenged too much. And when a great team gets challenged it is because they are playing poorly, for example Pitt, they have 13 turnovers now and are up 3 at the half.

I definitely look forward most to the second week of the tourney, even more so than the final four. Next weekend has a good mix of quality and quantity. If I had to peg it to a round, I would say the round of 8, Saturday and Sunday. You get two games each day, and they usually are good games played between good teams.

Also, everyone seems to enjoy this tournament because of the upsets. That got me to thinking, I too, enjoy the upsets, but in moderation. I like seeing a high numbered seed or two make it to the sweet 16 but I don't really enjoy when they get any farther. It seems to me that most teams that get a couple rounds past their seed get blown out in their loss. George Mason had a great run, and that game against UConn was classic, okay, maybe they aren't a good example...But they did get creamed by Florida in the Final Four.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts I have and was just wondering how other people felt.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite round? Empty Re: What is your favorite round?

Post by aleppiek Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:17 pm

The Rd of 32 is king for me... usually some pretty solid match ups and upset potential. And there is still a good volume of games.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Rounds of 32 and 16 are the best, for what you say... quality and quantity. I am always a fan of the upset and the underdog... so I will always go for the upset even if I didnt pick it on the bracket... one of these years (next year?) UP will be that little team playing giant killer.... Twisted Evil

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:48 pm

32 and 16 for me. The number of games, and you've weeded out the bad bad teams. 16 might be the best.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Any round that involves a cinderalla run is good for me...so right up to the regional, I guess...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:49 pm

Unfortunately, Cleveland State is looking too much like Cinderella.
WHAT IS WAKE FOREST DOING!?!?!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Ronald Moore from Siena is my new tournament hero. The absolute definition of clutch.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:56 pm

I have to say that the last 1/2 hour of coverage tonight was great... flipping back and forth between the close games... Glad to see Siena beat Ohio State! Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:16 pm

I like the "elite eight" because that's the furthest those crybaby's from up north have made it before losing,lol. In addition, there is usually a very well played college basketball game from two quality teams.

After all those years of enduring Wisconsin's "cheesehead play" in the Big-Ten we get tortured by them in another game. One sidenote, the kid Bohanon-(trivia for stoney: His Dad led Iowa to 1980 Rosebowl win)- alumni from my HS and his team's finally brought back large school HS BB Championship's there after a 20 year drought from my day's when we won. (another tidbit for stoney:Kurt Warner played Quarterback at our rival HS football team after I left, and the Master's winner a couple years ago was from them too). Not a bad collection of athlete's from a town of 120,000.Of course Stoney it came from all those year's of playing at and coaching that Mesa did at yea' ol local YMCA,lol.

Enough of the drivel,we can only hope GB lose's, but it will be in the next round for sure. It will be great to see them "wet their pant's" against North Carolina on National TV like they did against Memphis ,lol. Wouldn't that be great if Ty Lawson got to matchup against king Fargo, with one foot he could outplay the most overated player west of the Mississippi. 2nd Team all-WCC I might mention also,lol. Who was first team.....that 5'7'' guard for the Pilot's TJ Campbell cheers .

WisconsinBasketball1 Hitting my head agai aka MesaPilot1

P.S.-Yeah Ohio State, the ultimate choke artist's. Only team with Greg Oden who could lose in clutch game what do you expect? The ? is was that the year Greg Oden peaked in his Baskeball career???

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:51 am

The Play in game... Clearly the best. Especially when Chief Kickingstallionsims is playing...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:10 am

DaTruRochin wrote:The Play in game... Clearly the best. Especially when Chief Kickingstallionsims is playing...

Yes.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:15 pm

The first two days of the NCAA tournament - from 64 to 32 - are still two of the best days in all of sports in my book. I look forward to them all year. For me, it's ND football/college football in general, UP basketball/WCC basketball, the first two days of the NCAA basketball tournament (and March madness in general/picking brackets and particiapating in office pools/other pools), The Masters, & The NFL Draft. I look forward to those things more than other things in sports. Strange combinations though it would be to some, but these are things that make me happy (and sad and mad all at the same time). Oh, I also love high school football as well (especially the mighty Jesuit Crudasers!!)

But yes, I love the small and/or leser known schools, expecially in the first two rounds. I only dislike them if I don't pick them in my pool and there's money involved. Hitting my head agai It would be awfully boring if we didn't have the Cleveland States, the Siennas. the Davidsons, the George Masons, etc. They are a big part of what make the NCAA tournament what it is, in my opinion.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by vlad Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:17 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:I like the "elite eight" because that's the furthest those crybaby's from up north have made it before losing,lol. In addition, there is usually a very well played college basketball game from two quality teams.

After all those years of enduring Wisconsin's "cheesehead play" in the Big-Ten we get tortured by them in another game. One sidenote, the kid Bohanon-(trivia for stoney: His Dad led Iowa to 1980 Rosebowl win)- alumni from my HS and his team's finally brought back large school HS BB Championship's there after a 20 year drought from my day's when we won. (another tidbit for stoney:Kurt Warner played Quarterback at our rival HS football team after I left, and the Master's winner a couple years ago was from them too). Not a bad collection of athlete's from a town of 120,000.Of course Stoney it came from all those year's of playing at and coaching that Mesa did at yea' ol local YMCA,lol.

Enough of the drivel,we can only hope GB lose's, but it will be in the next round for sure. It will be great to see them "wet their pant's" against North Carolina on National TV like they did against Memphis ,lol. Wouldn't that be great if Ty Lawson got to matchup against king Fargo, with one foot he could outplay the most overated player west of the Mississippi. 2nd Team all-WCC I might mention also,lol. Who was first team.....that 5'7'' guard for the Pilot's TJ Campbell cheers .

WisconsinBasketball1 Hitting my head agai aka MesaPilot1

P.S.-Yeah Ohio State, the ultimate choke artist's. Only team with Greg Oden who could lose in clutch game what do you expect? The ? is was that the year Greg Oden peaked in his Baskeball career???

Potshots from a bitter and semi-literate Portland Fan. Didn't they teach you the proper use of apostrophes at that high school with ashtrays? Perhaps spending four years next to a Superfund site has left you a bit addled?

vlad
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:48 pm

vlad wrote:Potshots from a bitter and semi-literate Portland Fan. Didn't they teach you the proper use of apostrophes at that high school with ashtrays? Perhaps spending four years next to a Superfund site has left you a bit addled?

Vlad - insults against other members are not tolerated on this board. If you're going to be a Zag and you're going to be here, then play by the rules. This is your first and last warning.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:41 am

Sleep Welcome, please come back when you don't attack me personally. There are many WCC fans here,and some even post their opinions and analysis of their team and the WCC. That is what I like about this board of the many college basketball boards that I frequent..... Sleep Sleep Sleep

March Madness cheers

I took a big hit on my brackets,at least I was correct on both our neighbors to the north.

That guy with the bad hair is bad-mouthing WCC defense,(Carolina will get 100 pt's in next game)
I would like to see a 50's or low 60's game to make Rev. proud.

MesaPilot1 Cool

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Power of Positive Thinking-Norman Vincent Peale)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down