Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA @ Rose Garden

+8
Rob's Jacket
onetouchfutbol
mattywizz
MaizeBluePurple
PurplePrideTrumpet
samalamadingdong
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NCAA @ Rose Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: NCAA @ Rose Garden

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Actually, I'll be interested to see how the fans break down for UW and GU.

I'm thinking that outside of UW alums, most people in Portland will be rooting against the Huskies, especially any alums/fans of UO.

But as for GU... I think non-WCC fans who aren't faced to deal with their insufferable fans still see them as a loveable underdog and will be rooting for them. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the crowd is 95% in support of the Zags... unless of course Akron makes an upset bid. Then people will always cheer on the lower seed.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:11 pm

I agree with Stonehouse. UW is happy with their site pick due to a short travel distance, but I dont think they will find the crowd supporting them much, in fact rooting against them. And I think Stonehouse is spot on regaring GU...

It's probably a good thing that the UW and GU games are seperate sessions, as those 2 groups of fans arent really in love with each other, either...!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
I'm thinking that outside of UW alums, most people in Portland will be rooting against the Huskies, especially any alums/fans of UO.

Well I guess they haven't had anything to root for this year... May as well root against something Rolling Eyes
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Wait, I'm confused. The Ducks didn't make the tourney. So, you're saying that a bunch of Ducks fans are just going to randomly show up and cheer against the Huskies? That would be impressive organization, but, I just don't see it happening. Do OSU fans randomly show up and root against the Ducks in basketball when they make the tourney? Seriously.

Honestly, UW has a really tough draw compared to Gonzaga...at least until GU faces UNC if they make it that far...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:13 pm

UO is the host school, so they got a big allotment of tickets. There will be lots of Duck fans there... and the Portland citizens who got tickets in the lottery are not likely to trend towards UW, either... tongue

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:19 pm

PilotNut wrote:UO is the host school, so they got a big allotment of tickets. There will be lots of Duck fans there... and the Portland citizens who got tickets in the lottery are not likely to trend towards UW, either... tongue

What will be their incentive to show up? I just don't think the rivarly runs as deep in basketball as it does in football, but, maybe I'm wrong. With the incredibly mature Oregon fans who used to yell "Gary Coleman!" out at Nate Robinson, maybe the rivalry is deeper than I think it is. Are those the guys who you are expecting to show up? If so, they'll just be embarrassing Portland as a host city.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:26 pm

From my experiences most sports fans in the Portland area support either UO or OSU. Therefore a lot of the tickets that were sold to 'area fans' are being held by Ducks and Beavers. Even though they won't be there to root on the Ducks or Beavs, they will not find it in their hearts to root for the Huskies. UW is not really a popular school/team in the Portland area.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:35 pm

mattywizz wrote:From my experiences most sports fans in the Portland area support either UO or OSU. Therefore a lot of the tickets that were sold to 'area fans' are being held by Ducks and Beavers. Even though they won't be there to root on the Ducks or Beavs, they will not find it in their hearts to root for the Huskies. UW is not really a popular school/team in the Portland area.

True. I wouldn't assume that UW fans won't travel well though; it's only 3 hours away...and UW has been in good shape to get into the tourney for quite a while now. Just remember...Brandon Roy is one of the best things that ever happened to Portland.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:43 pm

The UO/OSU fans will show up because it's the tournament. Same reason I went up to Seattle. And I doubt many in the Pit Crew will be there. They do have students who make up chants like that at every school, you know. And I really don't see how these chants are a big deal in most cases (NOT what the Duck students did last year against UCLA; that was totally out of line).

At least the Zags play the first evening game, so their fans will clear out and leave us in peace after that.

PS: Brandon Roy is my new favorite player. He is a Blazer now, and I stopped caring about where he came from the day he was drafted.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MaizeBluePurple Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 pm

For all of you going to the Rose Garden on Thursday, did you see that they are only putting 25 min. between sessions? So after the UW game they empty the Garden then let people back in. But the Zag game will begin 25 min after the UW game with most of us outside trying to get back in. Most other sites have a 2 - 2 1/2 hour break between sessions. Did they do this in Seattle also a few years ago? I don't remember.
MaizeBluePurple
MaizeBluePurple
***PilotFans Donor***
***PilotFans Donor***

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:At least the Zags play the first evening game, so their fans will clear out and leave us in peace after that.

Twisted Evil Well, they wouldn't want to watch some other teams play, you know. Against the code, or something. pirat

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:50 pm

There was a lot more time than that in Seattle. I think it was more like an hour and a half. I don't think 25 minutes is nearly enough time. I blame the NCAA and the TV schedule they set.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:48 am

Barf.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=123742289838604000

At what point to we start calling the Trib the "Zag Rag"?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 868

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:49 am

RJ,,

Your the best, I swear keep them coming. After reading your selection you picked I vomited and was able to call into work today. That Bouldin he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Most of us College BB fan's remember his imfamous coments about Gonzaga going undefeated and then them going on a long losing streak,heh,heh.

Thank's for allowing me to have a paid day off just to watch the Bracket's today. (I got one step further, could read the message's, pulled up the bracket's , but how doe's one fill them out?). The bracket they showed intellectually challenged Mesa would not let me fill it out. CALLING ALL PN'ERS HELP!!!

It's a long trip to Spokane......
Sounds like a country music song that may be fulfilled in the next week

MesaPilot1 jocolor

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Go Zags,Zip the Zipper's(on your trouser's we hope))

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Back from the games. There's a lot I could post about and it's all random. First off, we sat at the top of the 300 level. As in, the back wall of the Garden was behind me. The view wasn't bad, though, because the seats are so steep you're looking down on the court.

Unless you saw the pictures on the concourse you would have had no idea the Blazers played there. All the ads are covered, even the Blazers logo on the scoreboard. And the NCAA brought in a completely new court.

The place was infested with Washington fans the first session, far more than I thought. And they decisively outnumbered the Zag fans.

Best bands: Western Kentucky and Northern Iowa. Dr. Murphy was right: khakis look much better than jeans (looking at you, Gonzaga).

When I saw Dave Libbey take the floor for the UW-MSU game, I immediately thought of how much Mesa would like to be here to watch the master of the big game work in person. geek
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:27 pm

I was a little disappointed that people started leaving towards the end of the WKU / Illinois game... just when it was starting to get good! (Thanks in part to the refs and that silly out of bounds call).

It was great to see college hoops again at the RG (my last college game there was UP vs. Duke!!) I hope I can scrounge up tickets for Saturday... bounce

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:05 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Back from the games. There's a lot I could post about and it's all random. First off, we sat at the top of the 300 level. As in, the back wall of the Garden was behind me. The view wasn't bad, though, because the seats are so steep you're looking down on the court.

Unless you saw the pictures on the concourse you would have had no idea the Blazers played there. All the ads are covered, even the Blazers logo on the scoreboard. And the NCAA brought in a completely new court.

The place was infested with Washington fans the first session, far more than I thought. And they decisively outnumbered the Zag fans.

Best bands: Western Kentucky and Northern Iowa. Dr. Murphy was right: khakis look much better than jeans (looking at you, Gonzaga).

When I saw Dave Libbey take the floor for the UW-MSU game, I immediately thought of how much Mesa would like to be here to watch the master of the big game work in person. geek

I sat in those seats (well, the row in front of you PPT) at a Blazers game earlier this year.

Can we confirm it was actually Big Game Dave? I mean, I saw his face and shuddered, but I'd like some confirmation that it wasn't just Mesa in his Libbey Mask. Question

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 868

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2