Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts from USF game

4 posters

Go down

Thoughts from USF game Empty Thoughts from USF game

Post by calpilotfan Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14 am

I was at last night's game at USF, albeit arriving with 5 minutes left in the first half due to traffic problems. So, any commentary doesn't take into account the big Pilot run or the USF comeback that kicked off the game.

Pilots have a great energy and confidence about them. I couldn't tell they had just given up a huge lead, nor did they get down when USF mounted a comeback in the 2nd half. Stohl is getting better at creating shots for himself in addition to spot up jumpers. His shot is so sweet. TJ was huge in the 2nd half. He had a beautiful behind the back pass on a break to Nik (i think) for an open 3. Defensively, the team was in lockdown mode. Quick reacting to an open player and getting hands up. Dior got some relatively easy shots from the low block...but that was it. Good strategy to let him get his points and shut everyone else down (the rest shot 24%). Luke and Robin played well off each other on both ends, including a nice stuff of Dior for a jump ball.

I'd like to see a few things. Better boxing out on defensive glass. Too many 2nd/3rd chance opportunities could have cost us. Jasson is trying hard, but the results aren't there. Ethan played solidly, but committed a stupid foul towards the end. BJ/Eric need to work on their outside shot so teams respect it. When USF was in zone during 2nd half, they weren't even close to BJ because they were sagging down so much. Can't have that.

That said, the difference between last night's game and last year's game at USF is night and day. Pilots couldn't create any uncontested shots last year. This year the guys can create their own, penetrate and dish, or move the ball quickly to create open looks. Huge game on Saturday and I'll be there!!!!

calpilotfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Thoughts from USF game Empty Re: Thoughts from USF game

Post by PilotNut Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks for the recap, and glad it wasnt as visually ugly as it sounded on the radio! Smile

It will be interesting to see how both teams react on Saturday. We come off a sub-par performance (thank goodness it happened against USF) and SMC comes off a heart breaker. SMC really needed a win last night for their at-large hopes; will they keep playing tough or will they let down?

I like the mental toughness of our team this year, so I am confident we will right the ship for Saturday... but will that be enough? SMC has had time to adjust to life without Mills, and will be much better than when we played them in Chiles Center, on top of them just being at home...

bounce Go Pilots! bounce
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:57 pm

The announcers kept harping on the Pilots to stop relying so much on perimiter shots and take advantage of the huge size advantage we had inside - work inside-out instead of outside-in... You know the saying "live by the three, die by the three"...
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by calpilotfan Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:22 pm

My perspective was that we were getting good looks from outside. These weren't highly contested 3's. They'd also bring Robin/Luke to the top of the key for the high pick, which lead to having less guys down low.

On the inside game, there were a couple nice over the top looks (mostly to Robin if i remember correctly). The inside advantage wasn't so obvious to me, but maybe the announcers saw it differently.
- With Kramer in, you lose a bit of offense power inside
- With Jasson in, you lose a lot on the offensive side. You might have size, but not scoring/passing threat.
- With BJ/Eric in, the defense collapses on the big guys making interior pass impossible

calpilotfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:38 pm

so,

I looked at the USF forum, and it was interesting to see their perspective.

Kramer got schooled by Dior

Nik was absent

Sikma did nothing

Jasonn was horrible

They would have won if Jared wasn't hot.

No mention of TJ at all, no mention that the rest of their team shot 24% from the field.

Can perspectives really be that different?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Well, we all know how objective we all are! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down