Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sundhage gets her contract

3 posters

Go down

Sundhage gets her contract Empty Sundhage gets her contract

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:44 pm

USSoccer announced that they inked Pia to a contract that takes her through the next World Cup.

That was kind of a no-brainer...

USSoccer
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Sundhage gets her contract Empty Re: Sundhage gets her contract

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Yes. Winning the olympic gold medal following the trainwreck that was the WWC under Ryan I am surprised they didn't offer her president for life.

It will be interesting what she does with the new crop of talent coming out of college. We knew there would be a youth movement after she took over. But now that she is established I wonder how much she will tinker with the roster.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:30 pm

She's going to have to find some central defenders for sure. Several of the current crop will be in their mid 30's.
I don't think you plan to use players that old when you have 4 years to find alternatives....

Let's hope the WPS gives players a chance to showcase their talents.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:30 pm

She's very deserving. She and Tony DiCicco are two of the best we've ever had in my opinion. I've always been partial to more technical soccer at the national team level like DiCicco encourages...but, at the end of the day, it's only a sport and you have to let young women have fun too.

GOOOAAAALLL!!!!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:40 pm

I thought it was nice of PIA to let Tina Ellertson start in her natural position in last night's game, and Tina delivered! Maybe she'll get more chances to show she can score.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Sounded like a nice goal set up by Amy R, recently of USC. Reading into the article. The new league will also give Sundhage the chance to see far more American players in a competitive environment. It appears that in the future you will need to make a team in the WPS for National Team consideration. Standout college stars are probably excepted but she expects the National Players to be playing club with the WPS. This is a little different from the camp invitation identification system they were using.

From US Soccer (Coach Pia)
"It will be a bit different next year, but I think that is a good thing,” said Sundhage about the new women’s pro league. “Players will now have a coach in a club environment as well as the national team environment. They will get games every week and they will have to adjust their game because they will not have the same kinds of teammates as they do on the National Team. They will have different kinds of teammates and teammates from different countries. They will have to find a way to be successful.”
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down