Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UP: STACK’s Elite 50 for Academic & Athletic Excellence

+4
mattywizz
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
8 posters

Go down

UP: STACK’s Elite 50 for Academic & Athletic Excellence Empty UP: STACK’s Elite 50 for Academic & Athletic Excellence

Post by PilotNut Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:44 pm

This is very cool, and a high honor! Exclamation Cool Exclamation

From the UP Website:

The University of Portland received a strong endorsement for its commitment to academic and intercollegiate athletics excellence in being named among STACK magazine’s annual list of ‘Elite 50’ institutions.

The University ranked 37th out of more than 325 schools that compete at the NCAA Division I level, and was the lone West Coast Conference member to be listed. Stanford University received the top ranking, followed by Texas, North Carolina, Michigan and Florida. Portland is one of only seven ranked institutions that are not members of a power conference (ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, SEC).

According to STACK, the rankings are unique in that they’re a stand-alone ranking of the country’s leading college sports programs based on academics, athletic opportunity and overall performance. The Elite 50 methodology combines academic and athletic data with internal research.

Schools were ranked using key measures of academic and athletic performance, including overall academic rankings via U.S. News & World Report, athlete graduation rates using the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate (APR), national sport-specific rankings, championship history, professional successes, atmosphere and coaching staff tenures. Twenty-one collegiate sports were included in the criteria.

UP benefited from its women’s soccer team, ranked fifth overall, and a No. 12 ranking for the men’s cross country team.

A complete listing of criteria used for the rankings can be found at: http://elite50.stack.com/intro.aspx.

STACK is a multimedia high school sports brand whose goal is to educate, inspire and entertain athletes. The November/December issue of STACK containing the ‘Elite 50’ rankings has been distributed to more than 5,500 high schools across the country.

The complete list, published in the November/December issue of STACK and available online at http://elite50.stack.com/top50.aspx, includes:

1.) Stanford University
2.) University of Texas
3.) University of North Carolina
4.) University of Michigan
5.) University of Florida
6.) University of California, Los Angeles
7.) University of Southern California
8.) Duke University
9.) University of Georgia
10.) University of Wisconsin
11.) Texas A&M
12.) Arizona State University
13.) Ohio State University
14.) Louisiana State University
15.) University of Notre Dame
16.) University of California at Berkeley
17.) University of Tennessee
18.) University of Virginia
19.) Florida State University
20.) Penn State University
21.) University of Maryland
22.) University of Connecticut
23.) Northwestern University
24.) Rice University
25.) University of Kansas
26.) University of Minnesota
27.) Georgetown University
28.) Boston College
29.) Miami University
30.) Wake Forest University
31.) Memphis University
31.) University of Washington
33.) Vanderbilt University
34.) Rutgers University
34.) Auburn University
36.) Alabama University
37.) University of Portland
38.) University of Arizona
39.) Davidson University
39.) University of Nebraska
39.) University of West Virginia
42.) Indiana University
43.) Southern Methodist University
44.) Oklahoma State University
45.) Cornell
46.) Virginia Tech University
47.) University of Illinois
48.) George Washington University
49.) Princeton University
50.) Michigan State University

Copyright ©️ University of Portland Athletics
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

UP: STACK’s Elite 50 for Academic & Athletic Excellence Empty Re: UP: STACK’s Elite 50 for Academic & Athletic Excellence

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:48 pm

wow! And UP is the only school on the list that doesn't have a football program...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

UP: STACK’s Elite 50 for Academic & Athletic Excellence Empty Re: UP: STACK’s Elite 50 for Academic & Athletic Excellence

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:18 pm

No, Duke in on there.... rimshot Duck!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:48 pm

oooo that's pretty unkind..

While Duke's team might not be very good, they have a program, as do all the ACC schools. The conference was founded as a football conference.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1843&SPSID=22672
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:52 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:No, Duke is on there.... rimshot Duck!

Good one, but I would have thought you'd pick UW!

Speaking of UW, I noted that UP is the second ranked school in the Pacific NW! cheers With more success in 2008-09 already, prehaps next year we'll be #1. We are the U of P!

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:28 pm

I was leaning toward #15, but (1) they are bowl eligible this year, and (2) I don't want to take a drum stick to the face next game. Sign-Danger
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:45 pm

Actually, #48 George Washington does not have a football program. But they did have Pops Mensah Bonsu.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:42 pm

Ha, Pops Mensah Bonsu. Coolest name I've seen since Coky Rochin (with Jimmie Rainwater close behind).
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:32 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:I was leaning toward #15, but (1) they are bowl eligible this year, and (2) I don't want to take a drum stick to the face next game. Sign-Danger

Smart man.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:57 am

Pops Mensah Bonsu was a great name, but I think Ruben Boumtje Boumtje takes the cake, especially since not only was he a genius (wasn't he like valedectorian of Georgetown as a pre-med major?) but he was drafted by the Blazers and was the victim of this unforgettable and proud moment of Blazers lore:

As they were leaving the practice facility Wednesday, the morning of their final shootaround together, [Bonzi] Wells and [Rasheed] Wallace saw Ruben Boumtje Boumtje shooting jump shots some 100 feet away with his back turned to them.

Wallace slapped Wells on the back and said, "Watch this." Then he picked up a ball, reared back and fired a 100-foot, baseball-style strike that left Boumtje Boumtje writhing the floor. Trainers were summoned. After a few scary minutes, Boumtje Boumtje walked off, OK.
Wells and Wallace?
They giggled like schoolchildren and ran away the moment their teammate hit the canvas."

Don't you miss the Jail Blazers?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:17 pm

Was that from the infamous SI article? Or somewhere else? You know, the one where Bonzi said, "We don't care what the fans think." Rolling Eyes

My favorite moment from the bad old days was when I went to see Clyde's number retired. After a wonderful ceremony I was thinking back to all the classy gentlemen who played for the Blazers. Then the second half started. Rasheed picked up a T and got tossed, and the Blazers imploded and lost to the Grizzlies. Ahhh, those were the days.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 pm

God Shamgod - gotta love it.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:50 pm

[quote="up7587"]
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
Speaking of UW, I noted that UP is the second ranked school in the Pacific NW! cheers With more success in 2008-09 already, prehaps next year we'll be #1. We are the U of P!

UW did win the women's XC title this year... That might be a bit difficult to overcome... But I can think of about 12 other reasons why we would...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down