Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T.J. - How did he look?

+3
DaTruRochin
mattywizz
goldhelmet
7 posters

Go down

T.J. - How did he look? Empty T.J. - How did he look?

Post by goldhelmet Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:48 am

For anyone who was able to see the game, what was your impression of T.J.?

Does he look like he is a legit starter? Does he look as impressive as he did on his JC film? I know it's really difficult to tell based on one game, but it was against a quality D-1/PAC 10 opponent.

Second, did UW look like they are true top 25 legit?

I also just read that Big John is MIA. I wonder if he's home sick and this was just too much of a culture shock for him being from the east coast. You just never know. Every young person reacts differently. I hope everything turns out OK for him.

Well, sounds like this was a great game to say the least. This is clearly the signature win so far in the Rev era. Very exciting and wish I could have been there.

GO PILOTS!!! Basketball Basketball

Last edited by goldhelmet on Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

T.J. - How did he look? Empty Re: T.J. - How did he look?

Post by mattywizz Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:00 am

Mmm Mmm, looked pretty good. He is definitely quick, had no trouble keeping up with Isiah "Sexual Harassment" Thomas (It is the same guy right?). And he had a nice stroke from the outside. He pretty much had to play the whole second half because "The Judge" wasn't quick enough to play with UWs guards.
I definitely liked the way he handled the ball and he could be a player to control the tempo of a game. I think he is an excellent pickup for this program.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:09 am

TJ truly was Mmm Mmm Good, he played stingy defense against the very quick UW back court, took care of the ball very well, showed a lot of explosiveness on the dribble, showed his 3 pt range and if not for a hard foul would have had a very emphatic breakaway dunk. When Ito came in you could tell the difference in quickness was like night and day, don't get me wrong I love Judge, but he had trouble with the very quick UW guards. At one point there was a bad switch and TJ was marked on Brockman and denied the entry pass... The kid is very much the real deal and will very much help us against WCC competition this year.

Aside from Brockman UW was pretty much in shambles, although the Double Dutch/Cosmo combo most definitely made him work very hard for his 30/14 effort. Pondexter was pretty much a non factor (0-8 I think), Thomas fouled out and Overton/Dentmon were sloppy with the ball. They may have potential, but these kids played like they thought we were going to roll over and just let them in. As someone who grew up rooting for the dawgs I was VERY unimpressed with their composure and attitude (Esp. Overton). Coach Romar is gonna have some very harsh words and a lot of work to make sure UW doesn't come out and embarrass themselves like they did last night.

It was indeed a very fun game to be at. The most encouraging part was after the pilots continually letting UW back in they didn't roll over, just played tough defense and really earned that victory.

Also look out for Ethan "Needles" Niedermeyer... The kid looked good last night, knocking down 3s, defensive hustle, you name it, he did it. He has definitely improved leaps and bounds from the timid freshman that walked on the Bluff.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:16 am

Well, if you look at his stats compared to the phenom Thomas, he had a better game.

TJ ...............10 pts, 5 A, 3 TO, 1 St, 4 RB

Thomas........10 pts, 2 A, 3 TO, 1 St, 3 RB

And TJ was in the game when it was on the line. Thomas fouled himself out.

The kid is the real deal. Very composed under pressure, runs the offense well, and doesn't try to do too much. His speed and quickness will go along way towards taking the pressure off the ther guys. And he'll get the ball to the bigs.

I thought he had a great game against a team that was supposed to have good guard strength.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:19 am

I agree with what people have already said.

Campbell showed right away that what was a weakness for UP last year - athleticism and quickness at the point - might turn out to be a strength this year. And his play-making ability and defense were good too... he's legit. And actually I was impressed with only three turnovers - Overton was ball-hawking all night and they were pressing pretty tight... I thought Mmm Mmm did a great job controlling the ball.

No doubt about it - this guy is a difference maker for our program.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:21 am

DTR, I'm glad you mentioned when he denied the entry pass to the big guy. That was a great defensive move.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:56 am

TJ's denial of the entry pass was amazing... the air he got to swat that away was beautiful. The look on Brockman's face was quite enjoyable! Smile

TJ held his own, and think he will be huge for us this season.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:59 am

And also... even though he ended up getting fouled hard and not finishing it, how about his elevation and the attitude to try and throw down that break away he had? TJ's got some HOPS!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:34 pm

He is gonna have some great matchups this year... Dominguez, Pargo, Mills... I'm very excited to watch his progress!!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:12 pm

First question: TJ looked pretty good to me.

Second question: Let's just say the Huskies have a lot of work to do.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum