Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots #3 In Final Reg. Season NSCAA Poll

4 posters

Go down

Pilots #3 In Final Reg. Season NSCAA Poll Empty Pilots #3 In Final Reg. Season NSCAA Poll

Post by FANatic Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:30 am

There are so many posts in the last few days that I simply can't read them all. So I don't know if this has been posted or if anyone even cares. This is the final regular season poll released yesterday 11/11/2008 by NSCAA.

NSCAA 2008 Final Regular Season Poll

We are #3 behind Notre Dame and UCLA. No problem there. UNC is #4. Stanford #5. There they are: the top 5 teams. Interestingly, please note UNC is not that far below us. But Stanford, our bracket buddies, are quite a ways below us. This is a coaches poll. (For right or wrong - take your pick).

Does anyone even care about polls, now that we are RPI experts via UPSF's hard work and genius? I think polls are important to up and coming teams and teams on the brink. But to the "Elite Five of 2008", they seem but an afterthought... Rolling Eyes
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Pilots #3 In Final Reg. Season NSCAA Poll Empty Re: Pilots #3 In Final Reg. Season NSCAA Poll

Post by aleppiek Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:35 am

Looking at it now, after my education in the RPI by UPSF. The poll is less relevant, however it is nice to know that we have the respect of coaches around the nation.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Pilots #3 In Final Reg. Season NSCAA Poll Empty Re: Pilots #3 In Final Reg. Season NSCAA Poll

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:49 pm

I think the polls are relavant to the extent they add human intelligence into the equation whereas the RPI is math based only (artificial intelligence). I believe the thrust of the whole RPI exercise was to understand and audit the seeding process. I don't believe we rely on the RPI to determine who might be playing the best this week. That is what the poll are for in my opinion.

I take it back. I actually looked at Notre Dame at the top and thought about how they looked during the Marquette game in the tourney. The poll is wishful thinking and has a decided bias. What is better fighting 10 hand to hand battles against sharks and losing one or fighting 10 battles against minnows and shellfish and winning them all?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:17 pm

They did beat UNC.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down