Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bball Recruits

2 posters

Go down

Bball Recruits Empty Bball Recruits

Post by wrv Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:22 pm

Jason Conrad from Gilroy High in California, which I assume is near SF, is considering the Pilots. Having taken an unofficial visit this summer, the 6'11" center intends to take an official visit during the school year and perhaps sign during the early signing period. He lists Pacific and Portland as his favorites, though others are showing an interest. According to the OregonPrep article on Conrad, the Pilots have not yet offered Conrad. His picture in the linked article is the third one from the top: http://www.pinnaclenews.com/news/contentview.asp?c=180156

Another recruit Nadav Heyman from Corvallis is also considering the Pilots. The 6'1" point is receiving interest from other D1s but it is unclear how much interest the Pilots have though they are reportedly present at his AAU games. Heyman indicated he will probably wait until the spring to sign. Do not know how heavily recruited this young man may be . . .

Thanks again to PilotNut for providing me a new working password; I will try to remember this one.

Go Pilots!

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Bball Recruits Empty Re: Bball Recruits

Post by wrv Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:20 am

BTW, Heyman is described as being able to run a team well from the point; he was 1st team all-state at the 5A level.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:04 pm

Nice find, wrv. It's always nice to see us recruiting big guys and local guys.

Speaking of recruiting... what do you see the need areas as being? I was thinking about this the other day, and really I think they are in a position where they can try and simply go for the best talent. A small forward would be nice, as would maybe a true center, but really they have all the positions covered...

PG: Ito (SO) with Stohl (FR) and maybe even Raivio (SO) as a back-up.

SG: Raivio (SO) with Stohl (FR) and Porter (FR) and Thompson (JR) as back-ups.

SF: Watson (SR) with Niedermeyer (SO), Carter (JR) and Porter (FR) as back-ups. And maybe even Smeulders (SO), if the other big guys really step up.

PF: Smeulders (SO) with Sikma (FR) and Knutson (FR) as back-up

C: Hannibal (FR) with Knutson (FR) as back-up.

As I said, a big guy and small forward might be nice, but they do have options at all the positions for at least three years (wow!), so really I think the coaches are in a nice position to target guys they really want and just go for them without worrying too much about positions.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:44 pm

I am assuming we have two scholarships to give and no more. Off topic a bit, but I think that Emerson may well have been a starting small forward who could have scored had we held onto him. As you have already pointed out, one of our most pressing needs is for a scoring small forward (is Raivio capable of playing that position and role? Porter?). If Raivio or Porter are better than Emerson and can score, then I may change my mind about our small forward need and the effect of the loss of Emerson . . . As to the need for a big, I am thinking that we should see how good the bigs are cause we may already have a capable crew up front; my current thinking is that a skilled ballhandler to back up Ito . . .perhaps named Sims or even Heyman, would help more, again depending on how some of last years recruits do. Is Stohl a point or a small two? Can he run the team?

We need scorers and/or skilled players who can otherwise affect a games outcome. I suspect that we will be happy to integrate a player at any position provided they are a real scoring threat or have other outstanding skills. If we offer Conrad, I suspect it will be because he intimidates with his defensive skills. Still, a larger small forward seems like it should be a priority.

I am no expert. I hope that Pilot fortunes are at long last headed in a successful direction. One winning season would be good; sustaining a winning program would truly be a trestament to the coach and an inspiration . . .I am waiting to be inspired by a winning tradition, but I grow older. After each losing season I doubt anew whether this program is capable of winning . . .Inspire us Eric, change all that please.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down