Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Article About Elgin Baylor

3 posters

Go down

Great Article About Elgin Baylor Empty Great Article About Elgin Baylor

Post by Stonehouse Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:28 am

Ever since Geezer told the story about Baylor wanting to play for UP but the school denying him (UGH!), my ears have perked up lately any time I see or hear something about him. Well, he was fired as the VP of the Clippers yesterday (he'd been there for 25 years or so)... he didn't have a lot of success in the front office there, but whatever... how can anyone in LA have success with the Clippers? Anyway, Bill Simmons of ESPN (who I go hot and cold on) wrote a terrific, and I mean terrific, article about Baylor today. It might be the best thing I've ever seen from him:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/081008

Check it out if you've got 15 minutes to kill. It's pretty long but is very interesting and a good snapshot into what a great basketball pioneer Baylor wass.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Great Article About Elgin Baylor Empty Re: Great Article About Elgin Baylor

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:56 pm

I got to see Baylor play when I was a kid and the Lakers played the Knicks. He really was unstoppable. The story about Charleston WVA is an interesting one to me. That area around that part of West Virginia was a hotbed of basketball back then. Just down the road is Huntington West Virginia, the home of Marshall University. The Main drag in town is named for an NBA great who scored over 20,000 points.

No, it isn't Hot Rod Hunley, and it isn't WVA native Jerry West. It's former 76er great Hal Greer.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Great Article About Elgin Baylor Empty Re: Great Article About Elgin Baylor

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Great find, Stonehouse. What a classy guy. Thanks for that.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down