Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And you thought the Villa Drummers were wild...

4 posters

Go down

And you thought the Villa Drummers were wild... Empty And you thought the Villa Drummers were wild...

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:00 pm

I might be the only one who finds this at all funny, but it's just me being a band geek:

Fun at UC Davis

Apparently, to borrow from Deadspin, the UC Davis Marching Band is just Delta House with instruments. Shoulda done some more research when looking at colleges, I guess.

I know what you're thinking, Drummer: It would be a trumpet player starting the trouble.tongue

And last week the Wisconsin band was suspended for "seminude dancing, head shaving, and hazing." Heck, in the Purple Pride Pep Band that was just part of the audition.Twisted Evil
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

And you thought the Villa Drummers were wild... Empty Re: And you thought the Villa Drummers were wild...

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:42 pm

I have a feeling the band director is going to have problems with his harassment suit, if writing "I [Heart] Boobs" on the back of the bus is part of it.

That was in Oregon, where going to the curb naked to pick up your newspaper is protected speech under the State Constitution.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

And you thought the Villa Drummers were wild... Empty Re: And you thought the Villa Drummers were wild...

Post by FANatic Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:13 am

OMG!!! You mean you can't go to the park naked anymore, Geezer? My friends from Eugene do it all the time! Shocked
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Going naked in the park is more like freedom of expression than protected speech unless you are in a theater and yell "fire" in which case the speech is not protected. Case law is clear on that one. However, if you find yourself in the theater naked no matter what you say your car will be towed under Portland's strict towing scheme err..policy.

Now having cleared that up. We move to the case at hand. Is the band director a proper plaintiff against the university? That seems ridiculous its like suing your parents for abuse because your sister whacked you in the arm. Anyway if the University needs representation I know of one unemployed lawyer who is willing to take the case. He might even settle for half a case. Depends on the vintage.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:19 pm

a whole new meaning of case law.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:47 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
And last week the Wisconsin band was suspended for "seminude dancing, head shaving, and hazing." Heck, in the Purple Pride Pep Band that was just part of the audition.Twisted Evil

I saw an ad on ESPN2 promoting the Univ. of Wisconsin that prominently featured their marching band. Oops! Guess the ad buy was already set before the recent news. Red Card!

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:42 am

If anything the seminude dancing should increase recruitment. I am really feeling like I missed out not being in band. I never had that much fun.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Don't get me wrong, I have met many good friends in the UP band, but a marching band at a big school like Oregon is on a completely different level, both musically and socially.

To be honest, when I read about it I thought, "well, that sounds about right."
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down