Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2010: Erin Dees GK, Eclipse Select

+7
bluffer
fozziewozzie
Harry Redknapp
Geezaldinho
Auto Pilot
FANatic
wrv
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2010: Erin Dees GK, Eclipse Select Empty 2010: Erin Dees GK, Eclipse Select

Post by wrv Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:26 am

You guys will need to fill in the hype, plaudits and remaining particulars, but apparently she has commited to Portland for the fall of 2010.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

2010: Erin Dees GK, Eclipse Select Empty Re: 2010: Erin Dees GK, Eclipse Select

Post by FANatic Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:10 am

Good catch, wrv! Indeed, Erin Dees, GK, from Illinois, is on the Big Master Database!

She has big-time international experience and looks like she could be an elite national recruit. By 2010, Kelsey will gone, and Hailee will either be a redshirt junior, if she doesn't play a lick this year, or a senior. The right time to add a Keeper.

So now let the sleuthing begin. The database has been right on this year, hasn't it? A confirming article or quote from a separate publication wouldn't hurt, but at first take, I'd say it looks like we've got another great GK in the fold.

Let the discussion begin, and thanks again, wrv.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks Fanatic . . .I am just a little disappointed to see that the usual suspects have yet to post the scoop on the Pilot's latest commitment. I do recall that Loren Orlando/Hanson made a recruiting trip to Chicago--was that to recruit our goalie?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Hmmm maybe she was just in the neighborhood.

She was in the U-16 Youth Championship game with her club team. Although they lost 4-2 to the Dallas Texans, I am sure she is topflight recruit just to reach the finals in that series.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:51 pm

I guess I have been remiss. The thing is, I don't have a lot to add about Erin. When there were reports that Lisa Sari went to the Chicago area (not Lauren), I put all the ODP players in the area on the list to search, it's just that nothing linking her to Portland came up until now. Whatever information that came up on BS is the first I've ben able to confirm that it was her who committed.

There's no doubt she's a great catch. She's tall (5'9", about the same size as Hailee and still growing), and from the reports I read a difference maker. She's ODP, US u15 YNT, played for club National Youth championships, all the stuff you want in the resumé for a good keeper. There's no question she's passed the youth tests.

Much beyond that, I can't really say, because there haven't been That many reports on her in the National scene.

I guess part of the issue is that kids are committing so young, I haven't figured out how to properly research them. Often clubs keep information on younger players more private, for obvious reasons.

I just have confidence that the coaches have landed another great one, and just sit here with a smile on my face.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:05 pm

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_2326535.html

She was in the squad for the national U15 team last fall. She started one of the three games in the Nike tournament with that team.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:47 pm

wrv,
i was also going to say that it was lisa sari who was on the recruiting trip to the heartland. an at the time i posted that detail, geez came up with 3-4 names of players the pilots might be recruiting. i beleive that a couple of those players were gk.
i have tried mightily to find the original article that stated lisa was in chicago on a recruiting trip, but alas, i cannot find it.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:37 pm

The Oregonian did the article, which Stoney put up on the board in this post. I'm not sure I actually named names. I just said there were four ODP players in the area that needed watching, (with perhaps a link) and it was in a post I did on how to sleuth recruits (which of course I can't find).

She was one of those.

This was the article. Don't bother looking at it unless you want to pay the O's archive fees.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:50 pm

The information I gave back then was in this post.

Next Year
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:28 am

The details are great, but I'm just sitting here smiling and staring at the wall and knowing the Pilots are bringing in another national caliber keeper.

(My family is used to seeing me staring at the wall. They're not worried,) Shocked
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:50 pm

PG, FW, MJ: well, thanks for the info and the correction. I too "googled" her name but nothing came up that was not already posted or known. I am sure her name will crop up from time to time in the next year. Not too bad a sign that she played with the national team for her age group.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:13 pm

wrv, I think its an outstanding sign that she is playing for the youth national team. If you want to see what that kind of experience that can do for a player just look at Keelin, Elli and Michelle. Their international experience put them at a different level this year. To have a player coming in with that same experience is such a blessing because she should be able to step right in as a freshman.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:10 pm

Right on Auto. We're definitely seeing it this year with the "three amigas".

And it just reinforces that the Pilots are doing a tremendous job selling the program to these very select players. Twisted Evil

And remember, Kelsey is a YNT player. And she's pretty darned good.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

2010: Erin Dees GK, Eclipse Select Empty To add to the hype...

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:07 am

TopDrawerSoccer released it list of top 100 recruits 2010 today. Before I continue, I should preface that I consider TopDrawer's list too be at best incomplete. There are tons of great players who never make the list for the simple reason that TopDrawer doesn't really get around that much. He appears to get most of his info from the "big Name" camps and showcases, or at Youth National Championships which are heavy with "name" clubs. Players who don't go there for various reasons, don't get on the list. Also, it's a list that is heavy on three or four soccer "hot spots". Keep in mind that Keelin and Kassi never made this list.

Having said that, two of our three Known recruits are on the list. Ellen Parker (39) and Eris Dees (53) both garnered four star ratings, Which puts them comfortably in the 100 list. For comparison, Courtney Verloo also had a four star rating. The coaches went after these players quite a while ago, so it at least shows they have an eye for talent, and as the success of our players who haven't made the list demonstrates, I think it shows the recruiting staff might be doing better than TopDrawer. cheers

Top 100 list
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:28 pm

Garrett and Bill's recruiting is probably the best in the country. Which is why we get recruiting classes that look on paper only to be 5 or ten best when in fact they perform like the Number ones year after year. Garrett gets players that are right for the school and right for the team and he trumps coaches that rely soley on marquee players. UP's Canada connection doesn't hurt as Coach Ellis figured out with Kara Lang.

Which leads me to another subject. UCLA got Lang because she was able to make a deal to live off campus and get reimbursed for living expenses (rent, utilities and food etc.) The policy at UP is you can only get tuition scholarship if the player wants to live off campus. I think this policy puts UP at a disadvantage in recruitiing. Does anyone know the reason why?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:52 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:Garrett and Bill's recruiting is probably the best in the country. Which is why we get recruiting classes that look on paper only to be 5 or ten best when in fact they perform like the Number ones year after year. Garrett gets players that are right for the school and right for the team and he trumps coaches that rely soley on marquee players. UP's Canada connection doesn't hurt as Coach Ellis figured out with Kara Lang.

Which leads me to another subject. UCLA got Lang because she was able to make a deal to live off campus and get reimbursed for living expenses (rent, utilities and food etc.) The policy at UP is you can only get tuition scholarship if the player wants to live off campus. I think this policy puts UP at a disadvantage in recruitiing. Does anyone know the reason why?

If Lang did get reimbursed for off campus living expenses, it's a violation of NCAA rules. NCAA rules specifically prohibit the granting of free or reduced housing, much less utilities, as part of an NCAA scholarship package. The basic principle is that a school may not offer anything by way of room , board, or expenses that it doesn't offer a non athlete.

Here is an excerpt:

16.5 HousIng AnD MeALs
16.5.1 general rule. An institution is required to apply the same housing policies to student-athletes as it
applies to the student body in general. During the academic year, the institution may not house student-athletes
in athletics dormitories or athletics blocks within institutional or privately owned dormitories or apartment build-
ings (when the institution arranges for the housing) on those days when institutional dormitories are open to the
general student body. (Adopted: 10/1/01 effective 8/1/02)
16.5.1.1 Athletics Dormitories. Athletics dormitories shall be defined as institutional dormitories in which
at least 50 percent of the residents are student-athletes. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/96; Revised: 11/1/01 effec-
tive 8/1/02)
16.5.1.2 Athletics Blocks. Athletics blocks shall be defined as individual blocks, wings or floors within in-
stitutional dormitories or privately owned dormitories or apartment buildings in which at least 50 percent of the
residents are student-athletes. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/96; Revised: 1/10/92, 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02)
16.5.1.3 Exception—Nondiscriminatory Housing Policies. The prohibition against the use of athlet-
ics dormitories or blocks does not apply when the institution demonstrates that its housing assignment policies
do not differentiate between student-athletes and students generally. (Adopted: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/96; Revised:
11/1/01 effective 8/1/02)

16.5.2 Permissible. Identified housing and meal benefits incidental to a student’s participation in intercol-
legiate athletics that may be financed by the institution are:
(a) Summer-Dormitory Rentals. An institution may rent, at the regular institutional rate, dormitory space to
a prospective or enrolled student-athlete during the summer months if it is the institution’s policy to make
dormitory space available on the same basis to all prospective or enrolled students (see Bylaw 15.2.2.3 for
permissible housing benefits for student-athletes eligible to receive financial aid while attending summer
school);
(b) Preseason Practice Expenses. The institution may provide the cost of room and board to student-athletes
who report for preseason practice prior to the start of the academic year, it being understood that the student-
athlete has been accepted for admission to the institution at the time such benefits are received. Further, an
institution, at its discretion, may provide an additional meal (as opposed to the cash equivalent) to student-
athletes to meet their nutritional needs as a benefit incidental to participation during the preseason practice
period prior to the start of the academic year; (Revised: 4/24/03, 3/10/04)
(c) Training Table Meals. An institution may provide only one training table meal per day to a student-ath-
lete during the academic year on those days when regular institutional dining facilities are open (see Bylaw
15.2.2.1.6). A student-athlete who does not receive institutional athletically related financial aid covering the
full cost of board, including a walk-on or partial scholarship recipient, may purchase one training table meal
per day at the same rate that the institution deducts from the board allowance of student-athletes who receive
athletically related financial aid covering board costs pursuant to Bylaw 15.2.2.1.6; (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective
8/1/96, Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02, 5/8/06, 4/26/07)
(d) Meals Incidental to Participation.
(1) Missed Meal Due to Practice Activities. A student-athlete who is not receiving athletically related fi-
nancial aid (e.g., walk-on) may receive the benefit of a training-table meal during the permissible playing
and practice season in those instances in which the student-athlete’s schedule is affected by involvement
in practice activities, provided the student-athlete previously has paid for the same meal (e.g., dinner) at
an institutional dining facility. (Revised: 5/9/06)
(2) Meals in Conjunction with Home Competition. All student-athletes are permitted to receive meals
at the institution’s discretion beginning with the evening before competition and continuing until they
are released by institutional personnel. An institution shall not provide cash to student-athletes in lieu of
meals during this time period. An institution, at its discretion, may provide a meal or cash, not to exceed
$15 (but not both) to student-athletes at the time of their release by institutional personnel; (Revised:
4/25/02, 4/29/04, 5/2/05, 5/9/06, 12/12/06, 4/24/08 effective 8/1/08)
AW
A
RD
S
A
N
D
B
EN
E
F
IT
S
(3) Meals in Conjunction with Away-from-Home Competition. An institution may provide meals to
student-athletes in conjunction with away-from-home competition pursuant to one of the following op-
tions:
(i) All student-athletes are permitted to receive a pregame or postgame meal as a benefit incidental to
participation in addition to regular meals (or meal allowances per Bylaw 16.8.1.2.3). An institution,
at its discretion, may provide cash, not to exceed $15, in lieu of a postgame meal; or (Revised: 5/9/06,
4/24/08 effective 8/1/08)
(ii) All student-athletes are permitted to receive meals at the institution’s discretion from the time the
team is required to report on call for team travel until the team returns to campus. If a student-
athlete does not use team travel to return to campus, he or she may receive meals at the institution’s
discretion up to the point he or she is released from team-related activities by the appropriate institu-
tional authority. An institution shall not provide cash to student-athletes in lieu of meals under this
option. (Adopted: 4/24/08 effective 8/1/08)
(e) Vacation-Period Expenses. The institution may provide the cost of room and board to student-athletes
(during official institutional vacation periods) in the following circumstances. If an institution does not pro-
vide a meal to its student-athletes under such circumstances, a cash allowance may be provided (except for
the permissible additional meal as described below), not to exceed the amount provided by the institution to
institutional staff members on away-from-campus trips: (Revised: 4/17/07)
(1) Student-athletes who are required to remain on the institution’s campus for organized practice sessions or
competition during the institution’s official vacation period. If the student-athlete lives at home during
the vacation period, the cost of room and board may not be provided by the institution, other than to
permit the student-athlete to participate in team meals incidental to practice sessions; (Revised: 1/14/97,
10/28/99, 5/26/06)
(2) Student-athletes who return to campus during the institution’s official vacation period occurring during
a regular academic term (not including vacation periods between terms) from institutional competition.
Under such circumstances, room and board expenses may be provided beginning with the student-
athlete’s arrival on campus until the institution’s regular dormitories and dining facilities reopen. If the
student-athlete lives at home during the vacation period, the cost of room and board may not be provided
by the institution; or (Adopted: 10/28/99; Revised: 5/26/06)
(3) Student-athletes who return to campus during the institution’s official vacation period between regular
academic terms (e.g., summer-vacation period) from institutional competition that occurs at the end of
the institution’s playing and practice season or a segment thereof. Under such circumstances, room and
board expenses may be provided for no more than a 48-hour period, beginning with the student-athlete’s
return to campus. If the student-athlete lives at home during the vacation period, the cost of room and
board may not be provided by the institution. (Adopted: 10/28/99; Revised: 5/26/06)
In addition, an institution, at its discretion, also may provide an additional meal (as opposed to the cash equiva-
lent) to student-athletes to meet nutritional needs as a benefit incidental to participation during each day of
any vacation period, provided the student-athlete is required to remain on campus to be involved in practice or
competition. (Adopted: 4/29/04; Revised: 1/8/07 effective 8/1/07; 4/17/07)
(f) Meals Related to Institutional Committee Service. A student-athlete who serves on an institutional com-
mittee may receive expenses to cover the cost of a meal missed as a result of a committee meeting that occurs
when regular institutional dining facilities are open; (Adopted: 8/11/98)
(g) Nutritional Supplements. An institution may provide only nonmuscle-building nutritional supplements
to a student-athlete at any time for the purpose of providing additional calories and electrolytes, provided
the supplements do not contain any NCAA banned substances. Permissible nonmuscle-building nutritional
supplements are identified according to the following classes: Carbohydrate/electrolyte drinks, energy bars,
carbohydrate boosters and vitamins and minerals. (Adopted: 4/27/00 effective 8/1/00; Revised: 11/1/01 effective
8/1/02)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Another one of those rules that only matter when they get enforced I guess.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by bluffer Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Geezer:

If you go to NCAA regulation 15.2.2.1 it specifically address "Off Campus Room and Board Stipends" as follows:

If a student-athlete lives and eats in noninstitutional facilities, the institution may pay the student-athlete an amount equal to the institution's official on-campus room allowance as listed in its catalog, the average of the room costs of all of its students living on campus or the cost of room as caculated based on its policies and procedures for calculating the cost of attendance for all students. The institutioin also may pay the student-athlete an amount that is equivalent to an on-campus 7-day or 21 meal board plan or the cost of meals as calculated based on its policies and procedures for calculating the cost of attendance for all students, excluding those meals provided as part of the training table. Meals provided on the training table shall be deducted at the regular cost figure from such a student-athlete's board allowance.

It appears from the above,that under NCAA guidelines, student-athletes are allowed to live off campus and schools are allowed to pay the cost within certain guidelines. The fact that UP does not allow athletes to live off campus has to be a negative to some prospective recruits.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks for looking that UP Bluffer. I was thoughly confused because I am sure the UCLA compliance department is top notch (remember the parking debacle with the football team years ago)?

Anyway I only brought this up because UP's policy on athletes living off-campus has been an unpleasant surprise to some of older players who have had enough of the dorm after the first year. I cannot only think that it makes it harder for us to get athletes that can "write their own ticket" at other schools.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:38 pm

I'm confused. Do Pilot athletes really not get to live off-campus? Kelsey Davis' NCAA blog says in her first post: "I no longer live in the dorms so free food is a hot commodity to me. " Unless there is some type of non-dorm official UP housing off-campus, what's the story?

I heard that former defender Kelly Cronkrite lived in a house near campus owned by her parents (and her soccer-playing Pilot brother had lived there earlier), so again, wassup?
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:45 pm

Sorry to be confusing. We are talking about scholarship funding. Its a free country you can live and eat anywhere you want if you can pay for it.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Auto Pilot. Wherever the Pilots hang their cleats is fine with me.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:10 am

Is there a great GK coach for girls in Illinois? If Dees is as good as you all say, she is one of three young ones from Illinois. Two of the GKs selected for the U17 WC team also are from Illinois. Along with Courtney Verloo and our Cloee Colohan. See the following article: http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_10420228.html

As an aside, who is Kate Bennett (Clyde Hill, Wash.)? She's also a midfielder on the U17 team.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:40 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:
As an aside, who is Kate Bennett (Clyde Hill, Wash.)? She's also a midfielder on the U17 team.

You can read about her Here
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:42 am

Also, during the qualifiers Kate kept a Blog on her club website. Perhaps she'll start up again for the finals....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next