Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danielle does it again

+3
Auto Pilot
FANatic
Geezaldinho
7 posters

Go down

Danielle does it again Empty Danielle does it again

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:03 pm

She's racked up another POW award for her two goal performance against Florida this week, and he fourth two-goal performance in five games.

She had to share this one with San Diego's keeper, Brittany Cameron, who got 11 saves this week.

We love playing keepers who make lots of saves....

WCC link
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Danielle does it again Empty Re: Danielle does it again

Post by FANatic Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Danielle has, kind of like Michelle Enyeart, turned into something very special for us that I'm not sure we really could have known before the season started.

As Garrett has said, "Scorers are born, not made." That is a very intriguing statement that implies that no matter how hard you work at it, you'll never be a great, hard working goal scorer if its not in your genes. (I don't really want to believe that, but Garrett says it clearly and strongly and certainly believes it himself.)

Does everyone accept that as unequivocal truth?

Anyhoot - Congrats again, freshman sensation Ms. Foxhoven! WCC co-player of the week along with a GK who had 2 shutouts and 11 saves is exceptional, since this is two POW honors in only 8 games, still in september of freshman season.

Just keep standing there and knockin' 'em in, Danielle!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Does everyone accept that as unequivocal truth?

As a former athlete myself who worked as hard or more than anyone in my school or state for that matter, it is safe for me at least to say it is true.

People who would just lounge at practice would smoke me come the day of competition.

It was frustrating but taught me a lesson. It is better to be talented than a hard worker and its best to be talented and a hard worker.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:23 pm

I actually tend to agree with Garrett on this one. As a very mediocre player myself, I was marveled at people who just simply had a nose for the goal. They may not have been the most talented or fastest or hardest-working, but some players just seem to always be in the right place at the right time and just know how to position themselves on the field, get quick shots off, and place their shots well. A lot of it, I think, is mental... not over-thinking things in the decisive moment.

Generally I fall on the side of saying that lots of practice is the best indicator of success on the field, but I definitely do believe that high-volume goal-scoring is almost an innate ability.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:28 pm

Here is something to have a hoot about the way the Waves sportswriters described their GK's POW award:

Heck (Long Beach, Calif./Wilson HS) pitched back-to-back shutouts against #23 Tennessee and Washington State in her first two collegiate starts last Friday and Sunday, totaling seven saves. She made five in a 2-0 win over the Lady Vols and two in a 1-0 triumph against the Cougars.

Have you ever seen a GK "pitch" a shutout in soccer. Pepperdine is a baseball school for sure!
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:
Here is something to have a hoot about the way the Waves sportswriters described their GK's POW award:

Heck (Long Beach, Calif./Wilson HS) pitched back-to-back shutouts against #23 Tennessee and Washington State in her first two collegiate starts last Friday and Sunday, totaling seven saves. She made five in a 2-0 win over the Lady Vols and two in a 1-0 triumph against the Cougars.

Have you ever seen a GK "pitch" a shutout in soccer. Pepperdine is a baseball school for sure!

HaHa! (Sorry for stealing your signature line, DaTruRochin.) That's funny,
Auto. A clear case of an athletic department, or at least this particular writer, not having a clue about that "foreign game, Soccer".
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:50 pm

There is an instinct that goalscorers have. Danielle may have some things to learn before she's an all around great player at UP, but she already knows where the back of the net is. She finished both goals very well: clinical. She has a nice touch in the box and is calm and patient enough to pick her spot.

10 goals already in her first season. Smile
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Martin Jol wrote:
10 goals already in her first season. Smile

For comparison, that's what AROD had all last year...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Geez, your mention of Amy Rodriguez reminded me that Danielle's club coach Tim Schultz was the same coach who put together, Amy R., Casey Nogiuera, Tobin Heath, Carrie Dew, Angie Wozniak, Stephanie Lopez and Megan Rapinoe to name a few, to represent the U.S. in the U-19 World Cup
I watched this team play and they played alot like the Pilots. This may have contributed to Danielle's easy transition into the Pilot offense.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:23 am

Another way to look at it: Danielle has 10 goals in her first 8 college soccer games. The Pilots' opponents have 2.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:18 pm

Skills can be taught, but I think drive and singlemindedness cannot. Some players can take the ball right at the goal; others won't or can't. Remember how Woznuk worked hard on her defense last year? She didn't want to be just an offensive player. Sinclair too was a demon at taking the ball from the other team anywhere on the field. Point is, the best Pilot attackers of recent years are strong on D, too. Foxhoven is a super scorer and can show us over time if she can be that type of two-way nonstop player. When the D starts up top, the other team suffers.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:22 pm

I have been impressed with Danielle's defensive abilities already. She backs down from no one and seems to work just as hard on the defensive side of the ball as on the offensive side. The one big question for me is stamina. How will she hold up over the long collegiate season. Conditioning was a hallmark for the players mentioned by purple haze as well as most of the more successful players. Will she still be going strong come playoff time or will her skills erode as the season progresses and she starts to wear down?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Do you know how some athletes fall into and out of shape pretty fast? And do you know others that seem like they are always fit? Even after a layoff or illness etc. My impression of Danielle is that she falls into the second category. It hs been my observation that players are in the best "match fitness" at the end of the year (barring any lingering injuries they are carrying around).

I would be surprised to see her skills and fitness drop off at all. If anything, I think she will only get stronger. She has a certain fearlessness and innocence that is refreshing."I think Garrett described her a a "pure goalscorer." Ah but we are beginning to see much more. Don't be surprised if we are lamenting her missing because of national team duties.

Remember how far Keelin has come since the beginning of last season?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Good point about stamina: Foxhoven has been given a breather in several games, but that would be natural given that this is year 1 for her and the coaches may want to instruct her at the sideline while also sharing the minutes with other strikers. I don't mean to imply that she can't or doesn't defend, but to suggest that there will be growth as we've seen with other players as they mature.

Sinclair could create a goal out of nothing using her strength, speed, heavy shot, relentless pursuit, defensive steals ... you name it. Same with Enyeart.

I would note that Foxhovens goals come primarily from short range and off a teammate's assist -- often from a run deep into the goal box. This is consistent with how the Pilots spread the ball and the field, and their passing skill. Foxhoven has the knack to be there, be open and be able to deliver; if this was an easy feat, then lots of players would be scoring like she is (but it isn't so they aren't). Of her 10 goals so far, 9 were assisted (Enyeart and M. Rapinoe, 3 each; Sweeney, Reed and Schmidt 1 each, by my count). Contrast that with Reed's 3 unassisted goasls in one game and it's clear that those two players use very different methods.
If the Pilot mids get Foxhoven the ball in the danger zone, odds are she will score in most games.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down