Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr. C Memorial Service - September 2 at 5:00

5 posters

Go down

Dr. C Memorial Service - September 2 at 5:00 Empty Dr. C Memorial Service - September 2 at 5:00

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:57 pm

Details here: http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2008/8/21/GEN_0821081901.aspx?path=general

Service will be at 5:00 PM on Tuesday, September 2 in the Chapel of Christ the Teacher on campus.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Dr. C Memorial Service - September 2 at 5:00 Empty Re: Dr. C Memorial Service - September 2 at 5:00

Post by PilotNut Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:23 pm

“Sometime’s when it’s a close game,” Cansler noted, “I’ll say, ‘Band, it’s up to us.’”

Absolutely classic Dr. C.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Dr. C Memorial Service - September 2 at 5:00 Empty Re: Dr. C Memorial Service - September 2 at 5:00

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Just found out that I've been asked to deliver a eulogy at this for the performing and fine arts department. Whew.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Wow, what an honor. Good luck, Drummer.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:43 pm

Drummer gave a wonderful speech. Class move by Reveno, his staff, and the men to all come to the service. I also saw Joe Etzel and at least one women's basketball player.

It was a great tribute to Dr. C.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:42 pm

Really impressed by the appearance of the entire men's basketball team.

I thought I'd share what I shared to the assembled 250-300 people:
When asked by Dr. Connolly to reflect on Dr. Cansler, I wondered what to say. Then I was handed reflections by students and faculty about Dr. Cansler and realized how much there is to say. Reading the thoughts of others made me think about the great many stories there are about the man we knew as Dr. C.

I knew Dr. C for seven years and I think I owe him a great deal for those seven years. My first memory of him, like many incoming freshmen, was the summer before my arrival on the Bluff. I was sitting at home enjoying some down time when the phone rang. On the other end was some guy named Philip Cansler from the University of Portland, saying “I see you played in band in high school, what did you play and have you considered playing in college?” To be honest, I hadn’t. Being a percussionist in high school, while fun, was a little more work than I’d felt like doing and I really didn’t think that I was cut out to be a college musician. But, after talking to him for a few minutes I said to myself, “Well, if it’s really bad, you probably can drop the class…”

Fast forward to the first week of school and Wednesday night at 7:10 in Buckley Center Auditorium. It’s the first night of band. This man introduces himself as Dr. Philip Cansler…but we can call him Dr. C. And he laughs. Those of you who know Dr. C know his laugh, but for those of us who were hearing it for the first time, we looked at each other, as if to say “Who is this guy, and why does he think today is Halloween?”

The laugh fits. The man had an incredible joie de vivre. He was always smiling and upbeat. Some band directors control their bands by yelling and screaming. Not Dr. C – even when major mistakes were made (and I made a few), he had great constructive criticism and encouraging words. He never failed to praise students who did it right. He was there to make music with us, yes…but he was also there to have fun.

Nowhere else did he exude fun quite like in the Pep Band. There he was, in his purple suit, with a purple wig, purple basketball shoes, a purple shirt, purple tie, and purple trumpet. I won’t speculate on purple underwear or socks, but he did drive a purple car. In fact, sometimes I wonder…if we cut him, would he bleed purple? With the Chiles Center as his stage, this upbeat and fun-loving musician went wild. Dancing in front of the band—or surfing, whatever the music called for—blasting high notes for so long it seemed the roof would lift off the building, or riding that trumpet around the court during the William Tell Overture. He once told me the story of how he came to have a purple suit…supposedly the Athletics department came to him and said “If you don’t ride your trumpet around the court, can we buy you a purple suit?” “Sure,” he said. He fed off the energy of the crowd. That energy went right back into the band. In close games, sometimes he’d turn to the band and say “Band, it’s up to us,” hoping that the energy with which we played would spur the Pilots to victory. “What a band” indeed.

The fun and excitement lives on. It lives in the music we play, loud, boisterous, and expressive as the man it represents. It’s in the purple wigs at basketball games and even soccer games. It lives in all of us. For me, and perhaps for others, there’s a sense of regret. A regret of not being able to say “thank you.” Thank you for your enthusiasm; thank you your sense of humor and fun. Thank you for the opportunity to make music.

On behalf of all of us, thank you, Dr. C.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:02 pm

What a wonderful tribute, Drummer. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:12 pm

Thanks for that Drummer. A fitting tribute to a man who affected us all, even if we never had the privilege of knowing him personally.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:27 am

Thanks guys.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:07 pm

Hey D, I just got an idea:
Is there a way to talk to Mo's husband and get that video on here so people can see it? I think the fans might like it.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:31 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Hey D, I just got an idea:
Is there a way to talk to Mo's husband and get that video on here so people can see it? I think the fans might like it.
Might be possible. Will look into it.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Ha ha... yeah, I can arrange that. Forgot my sis did the music. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:27 am

Stonehouse wrote:

Ha ha... yeah, I can arrange that. Forgot my sis did the music. Smile
I figured that if I couldn't do it, you could. Smile
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down