Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time listed for postings on this website

4 posters

Go down

Time listed for postings on this website Empty Time listed for postings on this website

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:20 pm

There is a time frame when a posting on this site has one time listed, then another when the time shifts 1 hour. I notice the shift in the evenings. A post may be listed as 7:15 PM for a length of time, then it the post time changes by 1 hour, so it is either 6:15 PM or 8:15 PM. There is only a single hour shift; which way the time shifts depends on when in the sequence I observe it. It affects ALL postings, but I usually notice it on the menu page for the lastest posting. I generally only visit the women's soccer page, so that is where I notice it.

It appears that the clock for the site makes a shift for a few hours, then returns to the proper time.

I thought this was bug that would eventually get fixed, but it i still occurring.

Certainly I am not the only one who has noticed this, am I.

Thanks.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Time listed for postings on this website Empty Re: Time listed for postings on this website

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:32 pm

Oh, you aren't the only one. If you look at the countdown timer at the end of this post, it is usually off by a couple hours. It too is dependent on the forum clock, the computer clock, daylight saving, and the time zone the server is in. I tried adjusting it to be right, but eventually gave up because of the issue you outline.

thats why I just have it tracking game day. I figured when we got that close, everyone would know when game time was.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Time listed for postings on this website Empty Re: Time listed for postings on this website

Post by PilotNut Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:20 pm

i dont understand the clock issue. i have tried to fix it to no avail. confused

my apologies.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:13 am

I think I actually know what the problem is. The standard time zone for the website is set up for Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) right now. So if you go to the site as a guest without being logged in, it will show the correct time.

However, each person can change their preferences once they log in to show a different time zone. That way someone living on the East Coast or in England or wherever can set it to have the times show in their own time zone.

My guess is that UPWomenSoccerRookie has his preferences set to Pacific Standard Time (PST) instead of PDT, which would account for the one hour difference. And it appears to change sometimes because depending on how long it's been since you've visited the site, which computer you are using, etc. he may not always be automatically logged in. Does that make sense? When logged in the time shows up as one thing, when not logged in it shows up as another.

UPWSR - log in and click on the "Profile" button along the top. Then click on "Preferences" from there, which is also along the top. Then scroll down and change your time zone to the current correct time. That *should* solve the problem.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:22 am

The site still seems to have a mind of its own when we switch from Daylight to Standard time, and back... that is the part I cant seem to find out how to fix.

Stonehouse is correct on the individual settings part.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:52 am

PilotNut wrote:The site still seems to have a mind of its own when we switch from Daylight to Standard time, and back... that is the part I cant seem to find out how to fix.

Stonehouse is correct on the individual settings part.

Yeah, the weirdest part is that the time offset seems to change in the evening.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down