Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nice Article about UP Marketing

+9
mattywizz
PurplePrideTrumpet
DaTruRochin
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
A_Fan
PilotNut
aleppiek
Stonehouse
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nice Article about UP Marketing Empty Nice Article about UP Marketing

Post by Stonehouse Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:55 pm

In today's Tribune... gives a well-deserved tip of the cap to UP marketing director Tricia Miller, who has overseen huge growth in attendance for soccer and for basketball and who has done all sort of cool stuff to help promote the Pilots both on campus and in the community at large. Definitely cool to see an article like this:

No university has ever marketed women’s soccer the way the University of Portland has. The Pilots ranked fifth in the nation last season and had unrivaled fan support – the program is the only one in the top 25 that leads its school athletic programs in attendance.

“We’ve created a niche with women’s soccer that makes us unique,” Pilot marketing director Tricia Miller says. “We’re taking what other schools consider an Olympic sport, and a female sport, and created a name for ourselves with amazing soccer players and amazing women.”

Portland has led the nation in women’s soccer attendance the last three years and is the first to eclipse 40,000 fans in one season.

Miller says the athletic department relishes the soccer program’s cultlike following and the opportunity it provides to grow the name of the school.

“We’re using a female sport to tell our message, and we’ve gotten a lot of praise from fans for that,” Miller says.

Methods of spreading that message include a 100-foot wallscape off Interstate 5 featuring eight women’s soccer players and the slogan “real futbol,” which Miller says has garnered a positive response.

UP is exploring new ways to spread the message about the two-time national championship soccer program that began preseason training Aug. 6.

“This year, we brought on more media partners to get the message out there for a broader audience,” Miller says. “I would say that TV exposure is our No. 1 priority.”

Partnering with Comcast SportsNet, the Pilots televised every women’s soccer playoff game last fall. Miller believes the network will open up new opportunities for exposure beyond just televising games, with things such as Portland State’s “Camp Glanville,” which features the Viking football team preparing for the 2008 season.

“I think a women’s soccer reality show would generate a lot of interest and viewers,” Miller says. “But I’m not sure how the coaches would feel about cameras following their players to class,” she adds with a laugh.

To ensure more TV exposure, the UP marketing department began supplying video highlights to local news stations that were unable to cover the games.

Whole program needs to grow
The Pilots also are revamping their athletics Web site.

“We’re trying to bring in more elements to improve what we call the stick factor, getting people to stay longer, click on more links,” Miller says. “We’re going to continue to explore new opportunities to grow through the Web, from social networking sites to YouTube to our own Web site.”

The concern, however, is that no matter how successfully the team is marketed, other Pilot sports must compete in order for the entire program to grow.

“There’s a feeling like there’s kind of a glass ceiling,” Miller says. “We can keep setting attendance records, but how far can that carry us? That’s where men’s basketball is big.”

Men’s basketball has become a big priority in terms of both competition and marketing. The hope is that success in one sport can translate into another, through spreading the school name and cross-promoting.

The basketball team finished 9-21 last season, seventh in the West Coast Conference. Despite the record, the school says attendance has increased 76 percent since the 2002-03 season.

“Basketball has been growing over the last five years,” Miller says. “There’s always an interest in college basketball, but we must prove we’re providing a quality product.”

The WCC sent three teams to the NCAA Tournament last season.

“We’re trying to tell the WCC story to a wider audience,” Miller says. “It’s really competitive, that’s one of our selling points. I would say marketing men’s basketball is our top priority.”

Last year, Comcast televised nine men’s basketball games. The program is trying to expand that television coverage, though, both on and off the court, because “with all these new opportunities, it isn’t just about televising games anymore,” Miller says.

Athletes still are scholars
While the program’s goal is to move up in the conference and eventually reach the NCAA tourney, the marketing department believes basketball must be careful in its recruiting not to sacrifice the school’s academic reputation in the rush to be competitive.

Currently, 35 percent of Portland’s student-athletes are on the dean’s list. To the athletic department, that is more than just a figure, it can be a marketing advantage.

“Our goal is to produce student-athletes you can be proud of, that fans feel good about rooting for,” Miller says. “We will continue to focus on the total student-athlete, because that’s one of our strongest selling points, and we’re getting more and more fans seeing that.”

By combining academic success with various charitable events and fundraisers, Miller says the Pilots have maintained a family-friendly reputation in all sports.

“Is it going to bring the most revenue? No, maybe not,” Miller says. “But it is important to

who we are as an athletic department.”

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=121805895497744300

Last edited by Stonehouse on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Nice Article about UP Marketing Empty Re: Nice Article about UP Marketing

Post by aleppiek Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:07 pm

So when is the Athletics website going to make us the "official" fan forum? It would be really cool to increase pilotnation's visibilty.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 pm

I dont think we will ever be official, nor should we want to. We have much more flexibility (from NCAA regulation) and autonomy (opinions expressed) as an unofficial board.

We are working behind the scenes to increase visibility the best we can while staying within NCAA guidelines...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Is she referring to us?

"Miller says the athletic department relishes the soccer program’s cultlike following"
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:21 pm

I agree being "official" would be stifling, and we would never want to cause problems for the university. I was more thinking along the lines of getting that viewer traffic here. Which the article makes clear would fly in the face of marketing's goal which is that "stick factor"
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:22 pm

How did everyone else come to be part of these forums? I think I randomly was searching for recruiting info and this came up in my results.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:34 pm

Stonehouse wrote:

Methods of spreading that message include a 100-foot wallscape off Interstate 5 featuring eight women’s soccer players and the slogan “real futbol,” which Miller says has garnered a positive response.

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=121805895497744300

Soo-

There's a new banner?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:36 pm

aleppiek wrote:How did everyone else come to be part of these forums? I think I randomly was searching for recruiting info and this came up in my results.

The cult leader told me I had to join...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:42 pm

A fan with whom I'd been discussing my RPI studies suggested I put some information on PilotNation.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:19 pm

I used to post on the old OregonLive forum so I just followed everyone from there, but I found out about that through poster-extraordinare Rochin54.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Same here.... I think Rochin54 and a few others coaxed me into it.... Although part of my kind of misses the random fake people trying to stir up trouble on the oregonlive forum by making multiple identities and whatnot...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:59 pm

Yeah... what ever did happen to UPZealot/UPeezy?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Don't know, and I'm not gonna worry about it. The OregonLive Vikings forum was kind of entertaining like that, too, until their primary troll got banned. It's a much nicer place now.

I also came over when I saw the link on the OregonLive forum. My first post was in a thread about your favorite soccer memory.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:11 pm

I don't know... I'm expecting the true hollywood story to come out any day now on comcast sportsnet...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Funny how folks like that disappear once they have to give an e-mail address... and IP addresses can be tracked....

We are lucky; so far I have only had to delete a couple posts (i could count them on one hand... and have a few fingers left over) and havent banned anyone.... yet, anyway.... Suspect

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Dibs on first poster to be banned!
I guess I would probably have to post more often to do so, if only I was like Stonehouse and did not have a real job, or extra cirricular activities...
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Nice Article about UP Marketing Empty Purple Cult

Post by GUPhantom Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:30 pm

The cult leader told me I had to join...

Yah!...Some guy told me that I must drink some "Purple" Kool-Aid!!! .. Embarassed

It didn't kill me...but I've been in Pilot Futbol Nirvana ever since!!!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:47 pm

I was/am a maniacal Pilots Womens Soccer fan and was scouring the internet for all the info I could on the team.

I don't recall exactly how I found this site, but when I found it, I read posts for 2-3 weeks to check it out.

(I'd observed many sports forums over the years, but had never signed up. Didn't care for all the trash talk and B$. Seemed like the OregonLive forums, mainly for me the Blazers and Ducks, had a core group of serious fans, and a smaller but sour bunch that seemed to spoil the whole thing. So I'd read a bit, then check out when the doodoo got too deep.)

Soon I realized Pilot Nation was different than any forum I'd ever seen. The fans were virtually all real and sincere. And the info coming at me about my FAV team was just wonderful! So, I signed up, and have never looked back.

My life is pretty simple and basic, which I love. Pilot Nation is a perfect fit for me and I will be a part of this conversation until they have to pry my fingers off the keyboard and carry me out on a gurney!!!
Nice Article about UP Marketing Dancing-107
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:01 pm

The Pilots also are revamping their athletics Web site.

“We’re trying to bring in more elements to improve what we call the stick factor, getting people to stay longer, click on more links,” Miller says. “We’re going to continue to explore new opportunities to grow through the Web, from social networking sites to YouTube to our own Web site.”

That's the best part of the article, as far as I'm concerned. Without that commitment, the history of what brought us all here will be lost.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:15 pm

A_FAN Wrote:

Is she referring to us?

"Miller says the athletic department relishes the soccer program’s cultlike following"

I thought briefly on that possibility too, A_Fan. Not sure...but, by process of elimination, who else could she be talking about? Are there any other rabid Pilots Women's Soccer groups around?

What about it, all you folks out there who would be aware of such groups? Is she talking about us? What about the rabid crowds at big games? Especially the night games? And what about the loyal fan base? Are all the season tickets sold out?

Any other thoughts?
Nice Article about UP Marketing Firefox19
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:30 pm

A_FAN Wrote:

Is she referring to us?

I suspect...Tricia may even be amongst us!? Hmmm...which cult member is the mole? Question Rolling Eyes

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:41 pm

aleppiek wrote:How did everyone else come to be part of these forums? I think I randomly was searching for recruiting info and this came up in my results.

I found the forum from the Oregonlive site. I read the secret coded message you can only see with purple eyeglass lenses, and here I am! cheers

BTW, I truly appreciate this forum. I read (almost) every post on it, even if I don't join in on many of them. (Almost, because I did start skipping the Trailblazer discussion recently; just not that interested, and they don't wear purple.) I tried to read the Oregonlive forum on Duck football (my other sports passion), and I got so tired of the trolls and trash talk that I gave it up. Sad Too bad, because a site like this increases the fun of being a fan!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 pm

A_Fan wrote:Is she referring to us?

Several posters here came to mind when I read that part of the article. Smile

And yes, I am posting twice to pad my numbers, in hope that someday I'll get to partake of the free beer. drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:08 am

So-

just exactly what are you doing in the river?

Nice Article about UP Marketing 18-24
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:46 am

I see what you mean, geez.

That's a pretty impressive stream, up7587. The river looks nice, too. Looks like you might try fishing their someday.

But wow!!! You've already got a whopper to talk about, and a picture to prove it!
Nice Article about UP Marketing Fake-horse
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next