Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilot Nation Advice

5 posters

Go down

Pilot Nation Advice Empty Pilot Nation Advice

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:48 am

Hey people... I'm working on some web stuff, and I'm wondering how you all feel about drop down menus. I'm cool with one tier of them, but I get a bit hazy on two-tiers. What do you think?

Here's an example:

http://www.otterathletics.com/

Click where it says teams on the left-hand side. Do you like how it expands out to say "Rosters/Schedules/Stats/etc"? Or would you prefer to not have those there?

Thanks!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Pilot Nation Advice Empty Re: Pilot Nation Advice

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:58 am

Stonehouse wrote:Hey people... I'm working on some web stuff, and I'm wondering how you all feel about drop down menus. I'm cool with one tier of them, but I get a bit hazy on two-tiers. What do you think?

Here's an example:

http://www.otterathletics.com/

Click where it says teams on the left-hand side. Do you like how it expands out to say "Rosters/Schedules/Stats/etc"? Or would you prefer to not have those there?

Thanks!

It's fine in theory.
One consideration might be how fast the server is and how good the browser/computer using the site is.
I just tried it, and got a slow server connection. waiting for the update was a real pain with your finger on the mouse button. If you can single click to hold the menus while you pick the next level selection, it's better. I couldn't do that with this site.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:44 pm

One tier is nice. I would suggest that you stay away from two tier, though. Personally, I feel that it gets too cluttered at that point.

-SciFi

Pilot Nation Advice Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:55 pm

I agree with the above; I dont like the 2-tier... inevitably, my hand slips or spasms a little and I end up in the wrong 2nd-tier (the one above or below where I want to be).... can each box in the drop down be a little taller, or not require much movement to the right? This one is much better than some, I will admit though...

On the other hand, it is nice to be able to go directly where I want to go with out having to click once, go to that page, and then click again... especially if it takes a while for pages to load.

From a marketing perspective, it might not be bad to force users to go to a team page before proceeding further to the schedule, etc...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Sorry to be in the minority. But I like it, Stoney. Gives you quick access to specific info. For those of you that don't like it, just ignore it. Just click on your first tier choice and off you go to your site! I personally think it's a nice option for those who want to use it. Razz
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down