Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great New Article About Hegarty

+2
PilotNut
Stonehouse
6 posters

Go down

Great New Article About Hegarty Empty Great New Article About Hegarty

Post by Stonehouse Tue May 13, 2008 10:20 am

Just found this doing some Google sleuthing. Hegarty has definitely signed his LOI, and it sounds like he is an awesome addition. I especially love the bit about him breaking several backboards and how he can dominate the paint and play with his back to the basket. This is just a snippet... there's a bit more and some photos of him signing too if you click the link:

At Winchendon he is not only an honor roll student, but also the president of the senior class.

Now, he is headed to the University of Portland on a full scholarship.

The big man had multiple visits scheduled for this month, but after returning from his trip to the Oregon campus he decided he had seen all he needed to see. He committed while on his visit last weekend, and signed his National Letter of Intent on Friday.

“In my fourteen years at Winchendon, this is the most rewarding signing we have had,” said Head Coach Mike Byrnes citing his big man’s hard work on and off the court.

Because it is so easy to get caught up in being happy for Hegarty, it is also easy to overlook what a valuable addition he will be for the University of Portland. There are very few players anywhere in the country who can match his combination of size and power in the paint. He has shattered a number of backboards over the years to prove the point. He is simply unmovable when he establishes position under the rim. After two years with Byrnes, he is also boasting a pretty polished game with his back to the basket.

Portland not only lands a big man who will be able to immediately change games during his freshman season, but they also land a student athlete who will no doubt make a positive contribution to their program and campus.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/408/Big-Mans-Journey-Has-Happy-Ending.php
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Great New Article About Hegarty Empty Re: Great New Article About Hegarty

Post by PilotNut Tue May 13, 2008 10:29 am

Wow, awesome article! Very Happy Good find, Stonehouse!!

Hegarty could end up being a huge signing for us (pun intended!)... he is indeed a game changer who should be able to contribute significantly next year as a freshman. I cant wait to see him play... and it sounds like he is a great student and person as well!

Hopefully they keep a few spare backboards around the WCC gyms next year... Basketball

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 13, 2008 11:12 am

Nice to see he's slimmed down to 300.... Shocked
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue May 13, 2008 11:15 am

I know, right? 300 is well more than double my weight... I can't imagine losing a solid hundo and still balancing out at 300! Smile

But...... I think that's not accurate, honestly. From what I heard, he's more around 350 right now.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Great New Article About Hegarty Empty Hegarty Impact

Post by wrv Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm

With due respect to the remainder of the Pilot faithful, I think we need to take a wait and see Hegarty on the court approach. He is heavy and may need to shed more lbs before he can be effective at the D1 level. I am skeptical that this signing will have an immediate impact on the court. I suspect that young Mr. Hegarty will need a rerdshirt year to work on conditioning. His long term prospects I cannot begin to guess at, however.

I only hope that he is eventually good enough to merit the arguably unmerited excitment expressed here. He was so good that he was still available a month after the spring signing period began; he was so good that it does not appear that he had other offers. He did not start nor play particularly long minutes even at the prep school he attended. Because of the two years he spent at prep school he is already far older and developed than most D1 freshmen. Hmmn?

Reveno appears to be enamored with a big and bigger front line, not so much an up tempo game. It will at times be interesting to watch, but not always.

I am dyed in the wool purple but. . . I recall a few bigs here that have not panned out.

Trying to maintain a balance and quell the irrational exuberance. Sometimes a heavy burden . . .

Last edited by wrv on Tue May 13, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : To correct the spelling of our young charges' name)

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Tue May 13, 2008 1:46 pm

superbly written wrv Smile
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 13, 2008 2:11 pm

Hey!

You leave my irrational exuberance alone!

It's a long off season and we have to have something to look forward to.
I like the idea of getting some big guys even if they still have their baby fat and are out of shape. You give a guy like that a year with Rev and there's no telling what could transpire.

It wasn't too long ago where our post guys were 6'5". Nice to worry about a guy coming in too big....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue May 13, 2008 5:12 pm

Is there a dot.com like bubble to be burst in your future, Geezer? Only hope you and yours are right about this young man's potential benefit to this program.

Weren't Jose Slaughter, Darwin Cook, Rick Ravio and Pooh Jeter all 6'5" or less and they turned out okay. Wasn't Jay Strid 7'2" and, as I recall, he barely turned out?

Btw, big has at least two dimensions when referring to this basketball recruit, one of which is not particularly predictive of on court success.

Enough already.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 13, 2008 5:20 pm

I hear you wrv, but--

Cook and Pooh never played the post. Slaughter and Raivio did, somteimes, but that was 30 years ago--back then, 6-5 got you in as an All Star center in the NBA ( Wesley Unsold) He, BTW, is a pretty good example of the wide body approach to playing post.

I think you just made my point.

All our eggs are in the Reveno big man basket right now, and he's got the chance to do something with it. The last few big guys show promise, even though two of the three aren't all that big. Let's see what he does with this guy.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue May 13, 2008 11:37 pm

I specialize in irrational behavior at times... Wink

I will admit my excitement may indeed be premature, however Hegarty has received some quite positive reviews/comments... and my hope is that Hegarty develops along the lines of Jon Bryant at Santa Clara... a BIG man who can finish around the hoop.

Granted there are conditioning issues to overcome; but if anyone can mold Hegarty, it is Reveno. His upside potential is huge.

With Hegarty & Hannibal (and Knutson) down low... that gives us a LOT of occupied space and fouls to give. Rev has to take some "risks" and find the diamonds in the rough with where we are right now as a program... I just have a gut feeling that Hegarty might indeed just polish up real nice.

I apologize for my excitement, but I shall not relent! Cool

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed May 14, 2008 6:15 pm

I note on the USF board there are some nicknames thrown out for our giant post player, perhaps the biggest in WCC history. Among them: "Shrek" and "Little John." Hmmn? Big Continent has already come and gone . . .

Is it disrespectful to nickname a player, particularly before you've seen him play? Hegarty's size almost suggests nickname . ..

I do hope that any nickname which sticks reflects his ability to change shots or do something on the court . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed May 14, 2008 6:37 pm

I don't know about bigger than Millard. he was 7'3" and hovered around 400+. I don't think he ever got down to 350. (the 345 they list him at is a fiction.)

Still, Hegarty IS huge. Maybe in the Dwarf Planet™ range....There won't be a lot of room left in the paint when he and Bryant are in there.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu May 15, 2008 3:10 pm

I have to agree with wrv on this subject. Hegarty though huge, sounds as though he may need some work, but you never know he could contribute some his freshman year.
Campbell on the other hand has been playing JUCO opponents, and should provide immediate help. I'm not saying that Pargo won't take him down low, or Brandon Johnson might school him. It just will be nice to see more offense at PG, more tight defense on the ball. My Primary hope when he is in is that the Pilots finally can set their offense with more then 15-18 seconds left on the shot clock so they don't need to throw up some prayer or forced shot to beat the shot clock.Two pt guards are better than one.
Back to Hegarty, I want to see a Pic of 5'9" Campbell standing between Hanibal and Hegarty Shocked .

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Thu May 15, 2008 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp.)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down