Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMU recruits

+5
goldhelmet
LionsTheChamp
Stonehouse
PilotNut
IronLions
9 posters

Go down

LMU recruits Empty LMU recruits

Post by IronLions Fri May 02, 2008 10:21 am

The word is the Kwame Vaughn and Wendell Wright have been released from LMU. I know you guys were looking at both of them. How many Schollies do you have left? I think Kwame is a sleeper...i'm sorry we are losing him. Coach Bayno must have other plans.
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

LMU recruits Empty Re: LMU recruits

Post by PilotNut Fri May 02, 2008 10:49 am

It sounds like there will be some wholesale player changes at LMU... too bad.

With our 2 commitments (Mitrovic and Campbell) we currently have a full roster for next year...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 am

Tough luck, IronLions. It may take a year or two just because of all the turnover, but I really do think Bayno will be able to bring in some great players. I liked Tention and thought they let go of him too early, but I also thought Bayno was a very good hire.

I think UP offered Wendell last summer, but ended up getting the wing they needed in Mitrovic. And we also got the athletic guard we needed in Campbell. So I think it's just too late for UP and these two, even though they are good talents.

USF might be interested though... they've got a ton of open scholarships.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by IronLions Fri May 02, 2008 3:22 pm

I also thought Tention deserved another year, but Bayno is changing the face of LMU basketball. He is recruiting players that we would only dream of in the past. We already received a commitment from Larry Davis a transfer from Seton Hall. Yesterday, a Los Angeles All-City player, Laron Armstead committed. (Kind of a under the radar guy) We are also looking to get commitment from Drew Viney a transfer from Oregon. Another SG that visited our campus today is Vernon Teel from New York, who plays at a JC in Florida. Teel is a scoring machine…averaged 35 ppg in HS. There are also reports that Coach Bayno has been in Argentina and Europe. There is a lot of turn over on the roster but that can be expected. One good thing that I have heard is that the players released will be offered academic scholarship if the choose to stay at LMU. I don’t know too much about Wendell, but Kwame will be a great player somewhere. Its time to for the Lions and Pilots to head to the top of the WCC!
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat May 03, 2008 1:26 pm

So it looks like a couple spots just opened up on our roster...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by IronLions Sat May 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Quite a turn of events since I posted. On the USF board someone mentioned Kwame at a open gym. Someone is going to scoop him up.
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsTheChamp Sun May 04, 2008 12:29 am

Kwame is a great player. I would love to see him playing for the Pilots. Although that means he will have to compete against the jpnese guard for the starting role.

LionsTheChamp
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun May 04, 2008 8:09 pm

IronLions wrote:I also thought Tention deserved another year, but Bayno is changing the face of LMU basketball. He is recruiting players that we would only dream of in the past. We already received a commitment from Larry Davis a transfer from Seton Hall. Yesterday, a Los Angeles All-City player, Laron Armstead committed. (Kind of a under the radar guy) We are also looking to get commitment from Drew Viney a transfer from Oregon. Another SG that visited our campus today is Vernon Teel from New York, who plays at a JC in Florida. Teel is a scoring machine…averaged 35 ppg in HS. There are also reports that Coach Bayno has been in Argentina and Europe. There is a lot of turn over on the roster but that can be expected. One good thing that I have heard is that the players released will be offered academic scholarship if the choose to stay at LMU. I don’t know too much about Wendell, but Kwame will be a great player somewhere. Its time to for the Lions and Pilots to head to the top of the WCC!

Yes, I agree! We've been occupying thos e 7th and 8th spots far too frequently over the last 15 years. It's really a shame for LMU, because everything seemed to fall apart after Hank's untimely death. You guys were really on top of the mountain there for awhile. What a great run that was while it lasted. I don't think the WCC has ever seen a player like Hank since and probably never will. He was just so dominant - a man amongst boys.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

LMU recruits Empty Wendell Wright

Post by IronLions Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:01 pm

Not sure anyone cares but Wendell Wright has committed to Portland State.
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:50 pm

goldhelmet wrote:

I don't think the WCC has ever seen a player like Hank since and probably never will. He was just so dominant - a man amongst boys.

Hank was great, but he wasn't exactly known for his defense. I can offer up a couple of other pretty good WCC players. Bill Russel comes to mind, and there was that Baylor fellow from Seattle. . .
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Steve Nash wouldn't enter the discussion here, or would he? Dennis Johnson? Phil Smith?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Well, I said "since", so I was referring to players to come after Hank. Nash would be the only one worthy of discussion since Hank in terms of domination. I'm not saying he was the best ever in the WCC, just the most dominant since 1990. A case could be made for Nash as well, but they were obviously completely different types of players in the way they "dominated". Hank was obviously more imposing, but Nash is the best guard since 1990 without a doubt.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:46 pm

And John Stockton the best PG before Nash (before 1990)! I remember a game the Pilots played against GU at Lewis and Clark. Yes. This was before the Chiles was built. I thought all the scouts were there to see Jose Slaughter....but all they talked about was John!!...HUH?? WHO'S THAT GUY ANYWAY?? Shocked Well....He had a "nice" NBA career, huh? Basketball

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:41 am

Yeah, he did. . . except for being "Jordan"ed in the finals, twice. . . Mad

-SciFi