Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article About New PSU Coach

4 posters

Go down

Article About New PSU Coach Empty Article About New PSU Coach

Post by Stonehouse Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:06 am

A very brief mention of UP, but a good article about Portland State's new coach:

Following the abrupt resignation of Tim Bennett several weeks ago, the promotion of former assistant Laura Schott to head soccer coach made few ripples amid the immense success of Portland State's basketball squads.

But playing backup is not a new concept for Portland State soccer. Despite playing in self-proclaimed "Soccer-town USA," Portland State women's soccer has gone largely unnoticed among soccer enthusiasts, likely because of the national success of cross-town rival University of Portland, as well as the Vikings' inconsistencies on the pitch.

http://media.www.dailyvanguard.com/media/storage/paper941/news/2008/03/07/Sports/Taking.Her.First.Schott-3258768.shtml

Good luck to coach Schott... would be cool if Portland State could become a power in the Big Sky, which really shouldn't be all that hard considering the quality of the other programs. Then again, the school itself needs to help out their coach with better facilities than a HS field and more scholarships if they are going to expect success.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Article About New PSU Coach Empty Re: Article About New PSU Coach

Post by GUPhantom Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Nice article Stonehouse. Good luck to Coach Schott! Her credentials are indeed very impressive...State Championships at Jesuit, Oregon's Gatorade Player of the Year X2, All-American honors at Cal-Berkeley, a stint with the US Senior National Team and a Pro Career with WUSA Champions Washington Freedom. Wow!! How did we not get her to play for UP?

Which reminds me. I hope we can get the best homegrown talent in the 2009 class to commit to UP....and stay home....Kendall Johnson and Courtney Verloo...c'mon now?!? I think is very important that the Pilots maintain a local profile and that other schools know they can't come in sign the best talent from out of our own backyard. Mad

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:02 pm

I've just been reading up on Schott. She had a very nice career with Cal, playing alongside Reggie Holan after she transferred there.

I while at Cal, she tallied 56 goals.

That topped Joy Faucet's Cal record by a goal.

Not too shabby.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:23 pm

Believe it or not, not every kid who grows up in Oregon aspires to play on the Bluff. Schott had her fair share of time playing on Merlo and exposure to the program through Clive's FC Portland, and I'm sure an offer to play for the Pilots was extended, but my guess is she probably wanted to get out of Oregon and experience life in another part of the country.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Huh? Not wanting to grow up to be a Pilot? How can that be?? Rolling Eyes

I say that sarcastically...of course! I emphathize. When it comes down to it....choice of school is deeply personal for any recruit. Where do they think they will be fit in and thrive? Schott has exhibited her choices were the best for her. Gotta love those independent souls. Ahhhh....I guess I'm just a Pilot homer!! cheers

But I'm also an Oregon and NW homer! I cheer for all the local products who represent themselves and the state well. Where ever they are. I try to keep abreast of how well they're doing. I admire kids like Kyle Singler (Duke) and Kevin Love (UCLA). But I'm especially proud of the local boys that comprised the OSU Baseball NCAA Championship teams...Jason Ogata, Darwin Barney and Jacoby Ellsbury. Their coach (Ex-Pilot Pat Casey) has built a very nice program in Corvallis.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down