Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots

+4
Harry Redknapp
FANatic
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots - Page 2 Empty Re: Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots

Post by FANatic Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:21 am

Good point, geezer. I think you're right, looking at it from that perspective. Maybe we lose only Sophie and Michelle? One other UP player max. Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots - Page 2 Empty Re: Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:23 pm

Stephanie and Angie will continue with the US Women's National Team through its next training sessions. Cory and Lindsay were released. Too bad about Lindsay, but I'm guessing she has not been playing a lot over the last year +. Here's the link to US Soccer's informational release: http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_5341185.html
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:59 pm

an then there's this.

Sunday, February 10, 2008
Steph Steps Up

Stephanie Cox also did a photo shoot yesterday, but this one was at The Home Depot Center for a major feature in a magazine coming out later in the year as well. Cox, however, was in her game uniform for her first major individual photo shoot as a WNT player (and as Stephanie Cox!). Of course, she nailed it. Steph, although sometimes a bit shy off the field, seems to be a natural in front of the camera. It’s a good thing, as the 21-year-old already has 33 caps for the National Team, and is always thoughtful and well-spoken in her interviews. And hey, it’s about time a defender got some love from the media
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 am

Well put, fozzie! Steph does seem to be a very special person! Very Happy

Great national recognition for a Pilot/ex-Pilot.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots - Page 2 Empty u20's and u23's

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Both squads play England today.

There is a report on Big soccer that the U20's beat England 1-nil in la Serena, Chile earlier today on a goal by Teresa Noyola. No rosters for the game yet, so we don't know which Pilots played. In the same tournament, Chile tied Norway 3-3.

Bill Irwin's U23's are playing in the la Manga tournament against England also today in la Portola Spain. The game should be just over as I write this - no report yet.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:05 pm

found this on ussoccer.com talking about what it takes to make the national team. a little over half way through, angie is interviewed along with a couple clips of her praticing.
by the way FANatic, that piece on steph was also taken off usscoccer site from their wnt blog.

http://www.ussoccer.com/sights/index.jsp_videoGallery-498-1.html
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:04 pm

ussoccer.com posted the box score for the U20 game against England. All three UP players started the game for the USA. Ellie and Michelle played the entire match, Keelin played 62 minutes.

I notice that England played Kelly Lawrence, who plays D1 ball for Indiana.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots - Page 2 Empty not so good for the U23's

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:17 pm

the box just got posted for the U23 game against England in Spain. The USA lost that one 3-1. It looks like the England team sat back and countered to good effect in that one.

Kelsey Davis started that one for the US, but got sent off in the 57th minute for taking a player down just outside the box.

Henderson was forced into the match after Davis was shown a red card for taking down an English player on a breakaway just outside the penalty box about 12 minutes into the second half and the USA was forced to play with 10 women the rest of the way. The U-23s face Norway next on Feb. 13. In the day’s other match, Germany beat Norway, 1-0.

The score was 1-0 England at the time
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:09 am

when i posted the video link from usscocer.com on what it takes to make the national team, i was at work an dont get the audio. i am just now able to actually hear the piece. naturally, i loved angie's bit, but i found more interesting the end when pia was saying she wants from the ladies, paraphrasing, is to play free an easy. sounds like clive.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:55 am

fozzie - Thanks for the video link on Angie. Great seeing her speaking and playing. I agree with you on what Pia said. Sounds like she's got the right idea. Smile
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Angie and Stephanie both are on the 20-player roster for the Algarve Cup.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:46 am

Great news, UPSF. It's looking more and more like we are going to have both Steph and Angie on the Olympic Team and hopefully on the WNT for years to come! Very Happy

The $64,000,000 question: Is there going to be room on the 20 player WNT roster in the future for other up-and-coming Pilots? We've obviously got some great ones, (Michelle Enyeart, anyone?), on the way up. But how many Pilots will be on the BIG GIRLS team in two years?

Care to take a guess, anyone? (This is your chance, psychics!) Twisted Evil
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:07 am

i am so proud of angie an her making the team. as for future pilots i appreciate that enyeart is mentioned. but how many of us think she is more talented than megan rapinoe when megan is healthy?
by no way am i slighting michelle at all. i just think megan is more versitile than megan is. i am not saying that michelle is not gifted or talented. i'm just saying that if i had to chose between the two of them on talent alone an healthy, i chose megan. it's just there are so many varibles.
i love all of our girls an i wouldn't want to have to chose between any of them. the future is bright an i believe that u of p willbe well represented long into the future on the women's national team!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:36 am

Congrats to Angie! That's just awesome, and it's cool that the coaches appreciate the skill and abillity that she brings to the table.

As for Megan... she was *this* close to breaking through and becoming a regular member of the national team before her first knee injury. No doubt in my mind that she would have been on the World Cup roster last Fall and would have at this point cemented her status on the team for a long time - just like Stephanie now seems like she's going to be a national team player forever. Megan just brings a ton to the table - great on-the-ball ability, creativity, toughness, ball-striking... she really can do it all. Boy I hope she can come back healthy and have a nice finish to her collegiate career!

As for Michelle, I think it's easy to see her as just a "home run" threat type of player because of her tremendous speed and tenacity in the offensive third, but remember... she was among the country's leaders in assists last year and did an outstanding job of setting her teammates up. We might need her to take even more of a play-making role next year with Wozzie gone. And in the playoffs she showed off an aspect to her game that I didn't realize was there - ball stiking! Remember that absolute blast against Tennessee? And the fun thing is that she's only going to be a junior!

Ah... bright times ahead for UP soccer indeed!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:51 am

Well put, fozzie. Megan has a great chance to make the team, as she did well with her earlier caps on the team.

I recall Abby Wambach spent some time I believe on the coast with Megan after her strong showing in the summer of 2006. That was a clue to me that Megan either is being mentored by Abby or they were friends before Megan's WNT experience.

For Megan, however, she has to overcome her ACL problems. My fingers are crossed for her. I love Megan Rapinoe. She is one of the most approachable Pilots I have ever met and a true fun-loving free spirit. Very Happy

StoneMan - Great analyses on both Megan and Michelle's games. Really makes it clear for a person, like me, that does not have a soccer background. cheers
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:09 am

I'm going to go way out on a limb (well, maybe not that far) and say that there's a good chance Keelin Winters will be on the WNT some day. (Not in the next two years, but not long thereafter.) She's got the size and speed; she's an excellent passer; and she's very, very smart about distributing the ball to the right person. I think one of the reasons the Pilots did so well last year notwithstanding so many injuries is that Keelin constantly got the ball to Angie so Angie could do her thing. I suspect that's partly due to Keelin's basketball background, where players have a very defined role and the rebounder's (read: holding midfielder's) job is to get the ball to the point guard ASAP. I think Keelin's having that kind of instinctive smarts is very important. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but her performance with the U-20s seems to indicate otherwise.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:53 pm

Be proud PILOT fans!! Check this out. Its from a section featured in the 2005 US WNT Team yearbook called "THE NEXT CLASS". I'll need to split the scan into 2 sections but predictions made then on the up and coming proved to be very good.

Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots - Page 2 Wnt_cl10
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:56 pm

Women's National Team Camp - Four Former Pilots - Page 2 Wnt_cl11
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:37 am

Great find, Phantom. Amazing that 4 of the 10 Players listed are/were Pilots! What a great recruiting tool. No wonder we're now reaping the rewards with seemingly one terrific recruiting class after the other. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2