Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs. CS-Bakersfield

+4
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
Rob's Jacket
Stonehouse
8 posters

Go down

Pilots vs. CS-Bakersfield Empty Pilots vs. CS-Bakersfield

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:03 pm

OK... game thread time.

I posted a little preview of the game on the blog... I'll do a cut-and-pate job here:

So the Pilots are taking on the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners tonight... should be a good game. The Pilots have been playing OK lately but don't have the wins to show for it, whereas Bakersfield has bounced back from a terrible start and has won four of their last five, including impressive wins over LMU and San Diego. Granted, San Diego was without Pilot-killer Brandon Johnson, but still... a good win for them.

Expect them to try to get out and run a bit and do lots of pressing, so Portland is going to have to do a good job of handling the press and not commiting too many turnovers. Looking over their roster, they don't have a ton of size other than 6-11 freshman Cory Brown (their next biggest player is 6'7"), so I expect the trio of Smeulders, Sikma, and Kramer to do some damage down in the paint. Robin has been playing really well lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was UP's leading scorer. CS-Bakersfield's leading scorer is junior guard Terrence Johns at almost 15 a game, so Nik will have his hands full dealing with him.

Anyway, should be a fun night and there should be a good crowd there. Remember, there is a young alumni gathering before the game at 6 o'clock in the Hall of Fame room... free food and free beer... should be pretty awesome!

http://blog.oregonlive.com/pilots/
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Pilots vs. CS-Bakersfield Empty Re: Pilots vs. CS-Bakersfield

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Alright everybody, I'm going to be helping lead the Bearcat Bench while Willamette takes on Pacific (Forest Grove) tonight, so I'm hoping for some detailed recaps of what happens tonight.

We need a win.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Nice fightback right before the half to retake the lead. Great composure from Ethan in knocking down some big shots. I'm off! Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:36 pm

Pretty nice game. We were able to take advantage of the size difference, turnovers were down, and the bench players contributed.

Ethan and Jared both put up some nice shots, and walter and Marcus are looking more comfortable on the floor.

Taishi looks like he's getting it back.

Good effort.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:01 am

A good effort by the Pilots with the exception of the 4 minute period from 5 minutes to 1 minute to go in the 1st half. But, we recovered to take the lead at the half--a good sign.

Jared Stohl played great tonight.... I agree that he needs minutes. The big guys played pretty well, but Ito still seems to be shy on the trigger. He had several open looks that he didnt take... Taishi just needs to get his confidence back, but he did look better than the previous few games.

We really needed a win heading into the next 3 WCC road games... hopefully we can steal one from SMC or GU... Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Well I agree with all of the comments on Bakersfield game, except those made on Thompson and Carter. They p[layed for what, four minutes and we went from 14 pts up to 4. One of those two at a time but two at time same time are disaster.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by thepuck Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:11 pm

I thought that they could have dumped the ball inside to post with how small Bakersfields was. But overall it was a pretty good game. I agree that it was a really good sign that they were able to come back right before halftime and not go into the locker room down a couple points. Also, I was glad to see that they were able to close out the win.

I might have liked to see Hannibal come in more. I feel like this could have been a game where he could have gotten some confidence but I'm not gotta question Rev.
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:34 pm

How about Jasonn's free throws? Basketball

I have to say I love watching Jasonn when he is on the bench... he is the team cheerleader. Always the first one up to slap the hand of whoever is subbing out.

I think it was vs. USF, when he made back to back baskets including a rebound & put back... when he subbed out, he was so excited he went down the bench slapping everyone's hand, all the way down the bench, including all the trainers and managers. It was great! Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:03 pm

I agree it is really enjoyable to watch Jasson. Also, I'm impressed with the confidence that Niedermeyer is showing in his 3 point shooting. Ito's shot, however, is a concern. Thats why Stohl should continue to get quality time. Also, as has been mentioned, we've got to get the ball into the paint on a more consistent basis. PILOTS WIN!!!!

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Stohl needs to get more quality time and given a little more leash on his mistakes. When he has the confidence of the coaches he'll be able to open up his game more without worrying about getting the hook if he screws up. Am waiting for him to drive.

Nice that everyone was putting the ball in the net. Hope Ito and Nik find their shot by monday. I'll take Ito's assists over points anyday, but it would help to hit the open ones. At least he nails the charity line.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down