Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ BYU 1-11-20

5 posters

Go down

Pilots @ BYU 1-11-20 Empty Pilots @ BYU 1-11-20

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm

The Pilots women's basketball team beat BYU a week ago for their first win in Provo since 1999, but I cannot recall the men's basketball team EVER winning in Provo!  Have they?

UP has not won at BYU since the Cougars joined the WCC beginning with the 2011-2012 season, but the two schools would occasionally play a home-and-home series before then...does anyone recall the Pilots winning in Provo?

It's already been six years since the Bobby Sharp led Pilots beat BYU in 3 OTs, and the Pilots won again two years later, but both those game were in Portland.

Las Vegas has BYU an 18 point favorite with a 138.5 o/u even without Yoeli Childs.

Poor Yoeli, he could have been making over $1 million playing overseas, but instead was suspended for 9 games at the beginning of the season and now, as most know, Yoeli took a ball to the finger in practice that caused an "open dislocation" that has him out for a couple of weeks, at least.  

I could only imagine what an "open dislocation" looked like, and yes, after finding a picture, it's as bad as one might think:
Pilots @ BYU 1-11-20 Index10
Pilots @ BYU 1-11-20 Pictur15
(This is NOT Yoeli's finger, but it is an open dislocation).

Game time is 6:30 PST and it's televised on BYUtv.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ BYU 1-11-20 Empty Re: Pilots @ BYU 1-11-20

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:54 pm

The answer to your question is “No.”

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/matchup_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1950&year_max=2020&school_id=brigham-young&opp_id=portland&comp_school=le&rank_school=ANY&comp_opp=le&rank_opp=ANY&game_type=A&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_overtime=&order_by=date_game
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:58 pm

“No” also should have been the answer when Dipper asked himself if he should post the picture of that finger.

Barf.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:38 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:“No” also should have been the answer when Dipper asked himself if he should post the picture of that finger.

Barf.
Haha, my sister had one of those open dislocations sustained in her one and only game as a GK for her soccer team.

They had to cut her glove off, but she said it looked worse than it felt.

Partly because of that experience, she's now an orthopedic PA.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:17 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:“No” also should have been the answer when Dipper asked himself if he should post the picture of that finger.

Barf.

agreed. No

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:32 pm

up7587 wrote:

Barf.

agreed.  No
Wimps!

You'd just better hope tonight's game in Provo will be a lot less ugly... Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:42 pm

I'm not sure I've ever turned off a game before the under-16 timeout in the first half, but here we are.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:43 am

I turned it off after BYU went up 18-2, and it got even worse after that with back-to-back Seljaas threes made it 24-2 (by the way, how is that guy still playing? He played the last time the Pilots beat BYU, and that was a half decade ago).

I checked the score at halftime. BYU up 50-31.

I checked the final score. BYU won 96-70.

I didn't see until this morning that I actually missed a bit of a Pilots comeback at one point. 25-11 run to get to within seven, but BYU hit the gas pedal again after that.

So good on the Pilots for battling back, but when a really good BYU team is shooting like that from three (15-30) it's obviously going to be tough to stick with them. Hats off to BYU, and given SMC's losses to Pacific and Santa Clara I think them and Gonzaga are the favourites to end up as the 1/2 seeds.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:31 am

I was only able to watch a little of the second half, but during that period the Pilots were playing lights-out.  

The ball movement and the combination of Tryon and Akwuba working together for the 10 minutes I saw was either a good indicator of great things to come or just a fluke...I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Glad I wasn't around for the beginning of the game, but it seems to me the Pilots have had a number of these "deer in the headlights" starts when playing before big crowds the past few years.

So, UOP beats SMC in OT last week, and now USF, beaten by UP last week, beats UOP yesterday...the conference seeding in Las Vegas looks to be wide open for now.

If Tillie stays healthy and Childs returns, I agree with Deaner that BYU and GU are the top-2, but after that it's anybody's guess.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:20 pm

And the seeding is of course thrown off by the stupid Gonzaga-dictated schedule. (They’re the #1 seed every year, so what do they care if the other teams’ seeding is completely unfair?) Case-in-point: this year Pacific only plays Gonzaga once. That could cost another team or two a seed line in Vegas this year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:47 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:And the seeding is of course thrown off by the stupid Gonzaga-dictated schedule. (They’re the #1 seed every year, so what do they care if the other teams’ seeding is completely unfair?) Case-in-point: this year Pacific only plays Gonzaga once. That could cost another team or two a seed line in Vegas this year.

The "WCC Basketball Enhancement Plan" was rendered obsolete before even one college basketball game was played. I'll be curious to see if and how it's retooled now that (1) NET has replaced RPI and (2) Gonzaga used its newfound scheduling freedom to schedule eight Q4 non-conference games this year.

Back to the BYU game... where was Taki last night?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:50 am

Taki was either ill or injured. I can't remember which, but I saw a note about him being out.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:23 pm

up7587 wrote:Taki was either ill or injured.  I can't remember which, but I saw a note about him being out.
Injured, but he's expected back soon.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down