2020 WCC Games

Go down

default 2020 WCC Games

Post by DoubleDipper on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:47 am

The women started strong against #17 GU yesterday in Spokane, and gave the Bulldogs quite a scare by going up by 20 in the first half, but with four players out for the season due to injury, the bench was just too short to sustain the Pilots' up-tempo play and GU prevailed, 62-57.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 8231
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

default Re: 2020 WCC Games

Post by wrv on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:52 am

Impressive effort regardless. Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1116
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:47 pm

After the strong showing in Spokane, the women lost on Thursday at San Diego 55-74. However, they completed their stretch of road games by beating BYU 57-48.
I don't follow the women much. Have they ever won a game in Provo before?
up7587
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 4569
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:22 pm

up7587 wrote:After the strong showing in Spokane, the women lost on Thursday at San Diego 55-74.  However, they completed their stretch of road games by beating BYU 57-48.
I don't follow the women much.  Have they ever won a game in Provo before?

From the post-game article:

The Pilots snap a string of 20 straight wins in the series for BYU, and it's the first Portland victory over the Cougars since also winning in Provo in 1999.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2020/1/4/wbb-pilots-claim-huge-road-win-at-byu.aspx
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:53 pm

Channel surfing during NFL halftime, and found the UP women playing SMC on NBC Sport NW. Ladies had a half time lead, and ran it up to 19 in the 3rd quarter. SMC whittled it down to 5 in he 4gh quarter, but the Pilots made a big 3P, and went on to win 78-65.

Team is dealing with the flu, according to the broadcasters. So that's a pretty good result.
up7587
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 4569
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:59 pm

up7587 wrote:Team is dealing with the flu, according to the broadcasters. So that's a pretty good result.
Yeah, flu and season-ending injuries. Down to just 9 scholarship players (and no prospect of anyone returning this season), the Pilots have had difficulty holding on to leads, until today against SMC.

Having lost to GU and UOP, as well as PSU and Loyola-Chicago, after having large leads, it was good to see UP hold on to their halftime lead for the win.

SMC is picked to finish 3rd in the conference, and came into the weekend 4-0, but lost in Spokane on Thursday and today in Portland.

Portland, picked to finish last in the WCC, is now 2-3 in conference play after beating BYU in Provo last week.

Next up for the Pilots are USF and SCU on the road...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:27 pm

As of 1-11-20:

GU    5-0/16-1 (#16 in the nation)
UOP  4-2/11-6
SMC  4-2/9-8
BYU  3-2/8-7
PU    3-3/9-7
UP    2-3/9-7
SCU  2-3/8-8
USD  2-3/8-8
LMU  2-4/6-13
USF   0-5/7-10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:43 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: Down to just 9 scholarship players (and no prospect of anyone returning this season), the Pilots have had difficulty holding on to leads, until today against SMC.

They are fun to watch. Just imagine what they could do with seven more scholarship players Next year. I’m not sure why the AD insists on handicapping the program. It seems we need more scholarship players to reach title IX standards.

Let’s not make being short handed be an excuse from now on as it has been for years.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10932
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Yesterday at 12:48 pm

Geezaldinho wrote: Just imagine what they could do with seven more scholarship players Next year. I’m not sure why the AD insists on handicapping the program.
Well, math has always been a weak spot for me, but adding seven scholarships would bring the total to 20...and I'm guessing even an SEC school could not get away with that.  Razz

UP currently has 13 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons...and 4 of the scholarship players are done for the season with injuries.  (Erika Kankfelt's injuries have gotten to the point where she was recently dropped from the roster but will continue to be on scholarship at UP.)

The team is expected to lose only senior Kate Andersen from this year's roster and there are two high school seniors already signed.

It is my guess Coach Meek will attempt to sign one more player for next season (I know he was attempting to sign a transfer who attended a Pilots game in December, but she chose another school), which will give the team 14 scholarship players on the roster, not counting Erika's scholarship that will be taken from Scott's budget, but not count against the 15 allowed WBB scholarships.

Regardless, they are a fast-paced team that presses for 40 minutes and are fun to watch...but they cannot afford any more injuries.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum