Men's Basketball - State of the Program

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

default Re: Men's Basketball - State of the Program

Post by up7587 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:53 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:What is that podcast he frequently guests?
It's called Marching to Madness...here's the link to Episode 361, with Coach Bob Cantu:

http://collegehoopswatch.com/2019/04/05/marching-to-madness-episode-361-coach-bob-cantu/

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, and I doubt he even addresses UP basketball, but I'm confident Bob provides a lot of insight from his 23 years of coaching...

Cantu predicted UVA and Texas Tech for the final two, mainly based on his knowledge and respect for their coaches. Guess we'd better take his prediction of UVA winning it all. There was zero discussion of his personal situation.
up7587
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:06 am

bullwinkle wrote:-  I think Cantu was dismissed because he was as candid with Terry, and perhaps Leykam, as he was with fans (which we loved about him).  
Yes, Bob thought he owed it to the team, the school, and himself to speak-up when he didn't agree with the head coach.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 8152
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:33 pm

It is interesting, if as alleged the assistant coaches are not listened to, that Cantu seems to have wanted to remain at UP. Not sure what to make of that.

Also, this past season broke the juju of Cantu's lucky shirt, when he guaranteed a win based on wearing it, but we lost. May reduce his market value without it. jocolor
up7587
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:35 pm

up7587 wrote:It is interesting, if as alleged the assistant coaches are not listened to, that Cantu seems to have wanted to remain at UP.  Not sure what to make of that.  
Honestly, I believe he thought he would eventually move into the head coaching position...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 pm

If the speculation is correct that Cantu was terminated because he spoke truth to power, it is a sad commentary on Coach Porter and, for different reasons, on the assistants who remain.

Troubled times.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1115
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am

wrv wrote:If the speculation is correct that Cantu was terminated because he spoke truth to power, it is a sad commentary on Coach Porter and, for different reasons, on the assistants who remain.

Troubled times.

I love how we all like to assume why someone was terminated. Cantu has been overly frank in his communication for years. This is not a new thing.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but certainly after a season like we had, you would expect some change of direction in the coaching staff. Since there are a million reasons not to fire Porter, lets try a change at assistant.

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:04 am

It is not my speculation about why Cantu was fired, but the speculation of others. I smile at your "change the assistant," as a cure to what ails the program, but then this is not a Marx Brother's movie.

Whatever anybody thinks about coach Cantu's termination, the far more important question is whether under the circumstances this program can be competitive next year and in the years to come.

I have my doubts.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1115
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 am

I'm guessing few think Coach Cantu was fired only because he spoke-up, that was his responsibility as an assistant, and after 20+ years on the job he knows the head coach is the "decider," but for fans his candid assessments were a refreshing change.

As for next year and beyond...it can't get much worse, can it?  Shocked

After the smoke clears and we find out which players have departed and who's been added to the roster, and we find out who the new assistant coach is, we might get some idea of the direction of the program, but I don't think any of us will believe statements like, "6th place or better," or "competitive in every game," as we've been teased with before.

Tyler Geving and Ben Johnson are talented and experienced coaches who have had success in the past, and Scott Leykam has reaffirmed his commitment to get the program back on track, but without an infusion of talent, a coaching emphasis on player development, and a head coach who can earn the trust and confidence of his players, staff, and fans, this program is going nowhere...

I haven't given up, and I'll continue to support the school I love and the student-athletes who work so hard to get better and win, but for those fans who will not return until bigger changes are made, I don't blame you!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:36 pm

wrv wrote:It is not my speculation about why Cantu was fired, but the speculation of others. I smile at your "change the assistant," as a cure to what ails the program, but then this is not a Marx Brother's movie.

Whatever anybody thinks about coach Cantu's termination, the far more important question is whether under the circumstances this program can be competitive next year and in the years to come.

I have my doubts.

Never meant to single you out. Just one of those things that if enough people say it, it becomes true.

Never said changing assistants was a cure, just that I wasn't surprised to see it. TP needs to take a long look at why things aren't working and what to do to fix them. My guess is that he will find most of those things by looking in the mirror, but I'm also sure it's not all on him.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:23 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I'm guessing few think Coach Cantu was fired only because he spoke-up, that was his responsibility as an assistant, and after 20+ years on the job he knows the head coach is the "decider," but for fans his candid assessments were a refreshing change.

As for next year and beyond...it can't get much worse, can it?  Shocked

After the smoke clears and we find out which players have departed and who's been added to the roster, and we find out who the new assistant coach is, we might get some idea of the direction of the program, but I don't think any of us will believe statements like, "6th place or better," or "competitive in every game," as we've been teased with before.

Tyler Geving and Ben Johnson are talented and experienced coaches who have had success in the past, and Scott Leykam has reaffirmed his commitment to get the program back on track, but without an infusion of talent, a coaching emphasis on player development, and a head coach who can earn the trust and confidence of his players, staff, and fans, this program is going nowhere...

I haven't given up, and I'll continue to support the school I love and the student-athletes who work so hard to get better and win, but for those fans who will not return until bigger changes are made, I don't blame you!

Direct and Diplomatic DD. Thank you

bullwinkle
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Most of us have lamented the lack of interaction and sharing of information between the coaches and the fans compared to the Reveno era, but it turns out we're not alone at being left in the dark.

Yesterday I was talking to one of the players, and asked what the "feeling" was amongst his teammates on the dismissal of Coach Cantu.

He reacted:

"Coach Cantu was fired?"
"I hadn't heard that."
"Wow!"

The player I spoke with was recruited by Coach Cantu...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:37 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Most of us have lamented the lack of interaction and sharing of information between the coaches and the fans compared to the Reveno era, but it turns out we're not alone at being left in the dark.

Yesterday I was talking to one of the players, and asked what the "feeling" was amongst his teammates on the dismissal of Coach Cantu.

He reacted:

"Coach Cantu was fired?"
"I hadn't heard that."
"Wow!"

The player I spoke with was recruited by Coach Cantu...

How is that even possible?  Are the players not doing off season work with the staff (you know, player development)?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Most of us have lamented the lack of interaction and sharing of information between the coaches and the fans compared to the Reveno era, but it turns out we're not alone at being left in the dark.....

He reacted:

"Coach Cantu was fired?"
"I hadn't heard that."
"Wow!"

I have exactly the same reaction:  Wow!  What a sad commentary on the state of the program.  How do you build a team without sharing and processing news like that?

bullwinkle
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 pm

I would hope that the player was responding this way not because it was actually news, but rather a way to not have to discuss it or share something he was not comfortable sharing.

If it was actually news, then I have a whole new level of concern.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4247
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum