Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon

+3
ExpatPilot
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
7 posters

Go down

Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon Empty Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:00 pm

At 5pm, just when many businesses are shutting down for Christmas and having their office parties, UP is hosting Florida A&M University (FAMU)…. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see who celebrates at that party.

After playing DePaul, Georgia Tech, Utah, and Oregon in recent weeks, FAMU is ready to break through for their 4th win of the season against UP.  FAMU lost 71-64 to UO yesterday after just a 19-hour turnaround from playing Utah in Salt Lake City, but they should be plenty rested by the time the play the Pilots.

Talking with the staff, if UP is going to win it’s going come down the same old trio of requirements, rebounding, defense and taking care of the ball. But the abysmal free-throw and 3-point shooting must also be a concern.

During the last 26 minutes of the Seattle U game, the Pilots played exciting basketball while communicating and defending, now if they can just string 40 minutes together.  

I doubt TP has plans to play Xavier more than he did during the Seattle U game, but he should.  It seems obvious (to me) that Xavier is now the “old man” and commands the respect of his teammates on the floor and in the locker room….and his 3-ball from the corner against Seattle U was pure Hallinan.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon Empty Re: Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Sorry, but Terry Porter played and coached in the NBA, a league where athleticism is the primary talent trait. Xavier is not an athletic player. Yes, he made one three point shot, but I did not see anything else special about his play.

Back to top Go down

Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon Empty Re: Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:57 pm

I’m struggling with your argument. What in the world does the athleticism in the NBA have to do with UP?

UP hasn’t  had an NBA player in a year starting with 2, unless you count Greg Anthony. He retired in 2002. He was a UP in 1987.

<edit> ok. Pooh played part of the 2011 season with Sacramento.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Trying to say I think Porter values athletic players. On UP's roster, Hallinen is not one of the more athletic players. That's all.

I could be totally wrong in my supposition about Porter's player preferences.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:13 pm

I think that if Porter signed up to coach athletic NBA Players he signed with the wrong school.

He’s got so far to get to that point it’s not worth mentioning. He should be looking to coach the players we can get to play good basketball.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:01 am

I’m excited for this game simply because it is my annual UP game that I can attend in person. I’m looking forward to it and still keeping an open mind about this young team.

Questions: will the Pilot House be open and do they still sell beer in the concourses?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:37 am

I think that those of us who post on this board are ardent Pilot fans, though some more than others. All wish for success for the Pilots.

"Keeping an open mind about this young team," may be laudable, but it may mean something on balance different than what the phrase suggests.

Ultimately success is measured by on court performance. Other's like you have suggested that we not give up. I agree. But in the vein of keeping an open mind, let's evaluate the team on what it is doing and on what it reasonable prospects are. Let's keep it real.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:24 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Questions: will the Pilot House be open and do they still sell beer in the concourses?
The Pilot House is closed, but yes, you can still buy beer on the lower concourse.

The pasta meal you may remember from the past is no longer being served, but you can get a meal of some sort in addition to a hot dog at the lower concourse concession stand.

The varied menu pregame meal and beer sales will move back upstairs beginning with the GU game on January 19th.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:47 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I doubt TP has plans to play Xavier more than he did during the Seattle U game, but he should.  It seems obvious (to me) that Xavier is now the “old man” and commands the respect of his teammates on the floor and in the locker room….and his 3-ball from the corner against Seattle U was pure Hallinan.
up7587 wrote:Sorry, but Terry Porter played and coached in the NBA, a league where athleticism is the primary talent trait.  Xavier is not an athletic player. Yes, he made one three point shot, but I did not see anything else special about his play.
Thanks for your perspective, however I was not talking about “athleticism,” but about leadership.

To get Coach Porter’s perspective, I went directly to the source…this from Terry Porter:

“The guys respect him.”
“I love his competitive juice.”
“I love the way he’s such a great leader on the floor, and off the floor for that matter.”

Of course, none of what Coach Porter said means Xavier will play more, but it does say that in the minds of some, you do not have to be a great athlete to be a great leader.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:11 pm

DD wrote:The Pilot House is closed, but yes, you can still buy beer on the lower concourse.

No you couldn’t last game. By he time I got there after figuring out they left us high and dry, there was one can of weak cider on ice.

Bad enough we played miserably, but I couldn’t drown my sorrows at halftime.

Time to order up one of these like in the old days.

https://trending-pro.com/products/dad-bod-potbelly-fanny-pack?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAmO3gBRBBEiwA8d0Q4mR-fSvQjvsxY6c2R91plUVWj2uR2KFNeBQ4VOtqkAfzb0ycz-tQPhoCHeQQAvD_BwE

Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon F616d110[url=https://servimg.com/view/11360599/653]Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon F616d110[/url]
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Time to order up one of these like in the old days.
PilotNut has been wearing one of those for years:
Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon Beer_b10
And he looks marvelous:
Rattlers @ Pilots Friday 12/21 @ 5 o’clock in the afternoon Beer_b11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks for noticing, DD!

I have been told im ripped at games, im sure this is what they mean...?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:23 pm

I’m sure everyone in the FAMU rotation will be a threat as it seems like every team the Pilots play discover a new "hero" that absolutely kills them each time out, but senior guard Justin Ravenel could torch the Pilots from outside if they can’t keep him from getting off a shot.

#21 Ravenel is shooting 50.6% (42 of 83) from distance and hit a combined 8-11 against Utah on Monday and Oregon on Tuesday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Oh, it was a 5:00 start...I'll be darned. Says it right in the thread title, too.

Well, nice to see a win anyway!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:20 pm

still need to work on rebounding and scoring droughts but at least we didn't get embarrassed again

Post Game Radio with Franklin: https://instaud.io/34Ys
Post Game Radio with Coach Tyler: https://instaud.io/34Yv
Post Game Stream with Marcus (Audio only): https://instaud.io/34Yu
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:23 am

I'm not sure that I have seen enough Pilot basketball to really opine on the team, players, or game too much from last night. But, I was happy to see a win!

The new HD video board is a big step up from what we used to have. You couldn't even see the highlights that were put up on the old one because they were so small. Last night, I remember a Pilot being called for charging that most of us thought was either a block or within the restricted circle... But, they put the replay up on the board and it was really easy to see. I'm not sure if its the video board, the new cameras and film crew, or both, but I really enjoyed that moment.

Lastly, it was just great to be back on campus and in that environment again. Coming to games, seeing everyone I used to know, and even some of the private messages I have received before the game remind me of what a special place UP is. I will never stop loving it or this team.

Side note: I was surprised at how many FAMU fans were in attendance! Happy to have them there. They were a very nice crowd.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down