Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland @ Hawaii - 11/9, 7:00 HT

+3
Sound Voltex
DoubleDipper
Dean Murdoch
7 posters

Go down

Portland @ Hawaii - 11/9, 7:00 HT Empty Portland @ Hawaii - 11/9, 7:00 HT

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 am

DATE: Friday, Nov. 9
TIME: 7:00 PM Hawaii (9:00 in Oregon, 10:00 for MesaPilot, 11:00 for me, midnight for SouthCarolinaPilot)
VIDEO: BigWest.tv
PILOTS RADIO: 910 ESPN
HAWAII RADIO: ESPN 1420
KENPOM PREDICTION: 73-70 Hawaii (Portland 205, Hawaii 220)
SAGARIN PREDICTION: Hawaii by 10 (Hawaii 221, Portland 312)
MASSEY PREDICTION: 73-66 Hawaii (Hawaii 205, Portland 280)

PORTLAND (1-0)
PG: Marcus Shaver (6-2, So)
SG: JoJo Walker (6-1, So)
SF: Franklin Porter (6-4, Jr)
PF: Josh McSwiggan (6-7, Jr)
C: Theo Akwuba (6-10, Fr)
6th: Malcolm Porter (6-4, So)

HAWAII (0-0)
PG: Brocke Stepteau (5-9, Sr)
SG: Sheriff Drammeh (6-3, Sr)
SF: Drew Buggs (6-2, So)
PF: Zigmars Raimo (6-7, Jr)
C: Jack Purchase (6-9, Sr)
6th: Eddie Stansberry (6-3, Jr)

Also expect to see a lot of Brandon Thomas (6-4, Jr) and Mate Colina (7-0, R-Fr) from this Hawaii team. The Warriors' major losses from last year are Mike Thomas and Gibson Johnson, two of their starters and two of their top three scorers (Thomas was Hawaii's leader in PPG and RPG, Johnson was third in both categories).

Drammeh, the team's leading returning scorer, missed Hawaii's only exhibition game (an 81-45 win over Hawaii Pacific) due to a minor injury but he'll be in the lineup on Friday against the Pilots.

Colina is one of THREE seven-foot freshmen on this Hawaii team. He redshirted last year and will almost certainly see the most floor time of the three. Not sure how much we'll see of Dawson Carper or Owen Hulland.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Portland @ Hawaii - 11/9, 7:00 HT Empty Re: Portland @ Hawaii - 11/9, 7:00 HT

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 am

The Pilots leave this morning for their flight to the islands. Don't know if any Pilot fans are flying over, but the team should have support from Hugh's friends and family.

The game will be the first counting one for Hawai'i; they played one exhibition where they blew past Hawaii Pacific 81-45. Their key player in that game was Zigmars Raimo, a 6'8" 230# junior forward from Latvia. He had 20 points and 8 rebounds, on 9-11 shooting from the field (no 3P attempts). Bit of a contrast to Multnomah's star. Should be more work for Diabate to do.

Looks like Hawai'i plays about 9 deep. As a team they shot 60% from the field, but only 33% from 3P range (8 of 24) (whew). They were pretty poor from the FT line, 7-13 for 54%. In addition to Raimo they started a 6'9" 210# SR forward from AUS, and three guards. Sounds like they kinda mirror the Pilots in team make-up. They started 2 SRs, 2 JRs and a SO, so they have good experience.

Should be a strong test for the Pilots, on a tough home court environment.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Nice start to the thread, both of you.  Deaner, have you ever thought of going into the sports information business when this NightSeeker stuff ends? Razz

The only thing I can add is that when I spoke to Jacob last evening, he said he "expects to play."

When dissecting the Pilots schedule this past summer with some of the staff, the two contests in Hawaii were considered "likely losses," and that was with Crisshawn and Ty Glover (now at Alaska-Fairbanks) in the rotation.

Hugh will most likely have a number of fans at the Friday game, but Marcus will probably have even more family and friends at both games...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Portland point guard Marcus Shaver’s hoop dreams were fostered in the Stan Sheriff Center.

Each summer, Shaver attended the University of Hawaii basketball camps, where he would hone the skills that eventually led to his berth on the past season’s West Coast Conference’s All-Freshman first team.

It will be a homecoming for Shaver, who lived in Hawaii through the eighth grade, when the Pilots play the Rainbow Warriors in today’s opening round of the 54th Outrigger Resorts Rainbow Classic at the SSC.

Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. The tournament opens with Humboldt State against North Texas at 4:30 p.m.

“It should be fun,” Shaver said. “I’ll be playing in front of all my family and friends who hadn’t had a chance to see me play in a while.”

Shaver moved to the mainland for the start of high school. His stepfather, who owns an air-duct-cleaning business, travels between Portland and Hawaii several times a year. His grandparents and several relatives also live on Oahu.

“My grandma mails me food,” said Shaver, who has maintained an appetite for kalua pig.

Shaver opted to sign with Portland instead of accepting a scholarship offer from the ’Bows. He also is hopeful of joining UP’s Hawaii Club.

“I hang out with all the people from Hawaii,” he said.

It was the Pilots’ plans — invitations to this year’s Rainbow Classic and next year’s Diamond Head Classic — that were used in recruiting pitches to 6-10 post player Hugh Hogland, an ‘Iolani School graduate.

“They actually pitched this to me: ‘Hey, we’re going to Hawaii your sophomore and junior years,’ ” Hogland said. “ ‘You get to come back to see all your family and friends. You’re not completely leaving the island. You get back to see everyone.’ ”

After de-committing from UC Santa Barbara, Hogland signed with Portland.

“I loved the facilities, loved the school,” said Hogland, who bonded with Portland head coach Terry Porter. “I felt it was a really good fit for me.

“UCSB, it was more like a coach fit. But UP had the coach and the school. And it had my choice of major, which was finance. Instead of getting one aspect, I got both.”

Hogland redshirted as a freshman last season, but he is counted on to be in the rotation this year. Hogland said Porter’s coaching style is a mix of discipline and encouragement.

Porter’s influences were absorbed during a 17-year NBA career during which he played for legendary coaches Jack Ramsay, Pat Riley, Gregg Popovich, Rick Adelman and Flip Saunders. Porter also was head coach for the Milwaukee Bucks and Phoenix Suns.

“I’ve been so blessed to be coached by some of the greats and to watch how they teach and how they coach,” Porter said. “You learn a little bit from each coach. … There are some common things. The expectations. They’re very demanding yet they’re very fair. They expect you to sacrifice in regards to that. And they hold you accountable to what you have to do on a day-to-day basis to reach greatness.”

On Popovich, who led the San Antonio Spurs to five NBA titles, Porter said: “Pop is like his background — military — so he’s very demanding. But he’s fair. He expects a lot of great execution. He expects you to be a team, expects you to sacrifice for your buddy, and everything is about ‘we’ not ‘I.’ That was the one thing that was so special about him.”

Porter said he is enjoying college coaching. His two sons play for the Pilots.

“You get that energy from all these young kids,” Porter said. “It’s awesome. The kids are so receptive to everything. They want to learn and be the best they can be. It’s great to be able to teach them and talk about my personal experiences and journey.”

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/11/09/sports/marcus-shaver-and-hugh-hogland-return-to-hawaii-as-members-of-the-portland-pilots/
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:22 pm

Stream is inconsistent. Pretty blurry/blocky most of the time. Cleared up the last minute or so before the last media time out.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Can't get the stream to work either- switching to radio.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm normally a Firefox guy but couldn't get it to load on two different computers. Switched to a Macbook running Safari and that did the trick. Stream looks great.

Diabate is looking good on both ends, keep that man on the floor.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:34 pm

Same issues here, tried disabling ad blockers and everything. Getting nothing, so watching on my phone.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 pm

I couldnt get it in Internet Explorer, but switched to Edge and the quality is great.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:58 pm

I've been using edge on my Xbox. It's stayed cleared up after the initial troubles. Both teams looking pretty good at times so far

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Overall, I felt it was a promising first half, but second half felt like the typical Pilots hoops problems seen last year (for better or for worse). Can't really blame 'em since the team is still young (this year especially for the bigs) and Hawaii has a lot more experienced players.

Post-Game Radio with Coach "not Kramer" Tyler: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0GDCgVZu7gE

Props to all who took "Pilots After Dark" somewhat seriously tonight and staying up past their bedtime.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:01 am

I fell asleep, but woke up in the middle of the night and watched the stream...It was good, sorry to hear there were so many problems live.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down