Cross Country 2018

Go down

Cross Country 2018

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:59 am

The men's cross country team is currently ranked #3 nationally! They were also picked to finish second in the WCC behind the #2-ranked BYU Cougars.

The women come in at the #31 spot.

I will let someone else who is more knowledgable on the running circuit to tell us whether the Pilots are for real this year or not. I feel like, based on my under-researched opinion, that NAU is far and away the #1 on the men's side.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2018/8/28/portland-men-rank-no-3-nationally-women-at-no-31.aspx
SouthCarolinaPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 566
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cross Country 2018

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:39 am

Don't think we should let this slide:  I was talking to Coach Conner and learned the Pilot men won the Bill Dellinger Invite in Eugene last week...not sure how we missed that...the meet has always been quite prestigious.
UP Sports wrote:The Portland Pilots men's and women's cross country teams competed at the Dellinger Invite on Friday morning with all six of the men's runners finishing in the top-15 in the 8k.

"Great effort by our guys today," said men's head coach Rob Conner. "I'm very proud of them."

Redshirt sophomore Reuben Kiprono crossed the finish line first overall to lead the Pilots to a first place finish in 24:39.5. Redshirt juniors Tristan Peloquin and Joe Horen also produced exceptional performances with a fifth (24:59.7) and sixth (25:10.7) place finish, while redshirt junior Sam Lomax and redshirt sophomore Henry Hayes finished 11th (25:18.0) and 14th (25:25:.1), respectively. Said Guermali, seventh man, recorded a new 8k personal record of 25:28.3.

"Reuben did a nice job and put the pressure on the field with a 4:42 third mile," said Conner. "He looked strong and controlled."
If you ever see Reuben, from Kenya, on campus, stop and say hello....he's about the nicest kid you'll ever meet.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 7537
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cross Country 2018

Post by Stonehouse on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Just a quick note to say that the women are now ranked #19 in the country after a solid showing at Pre-Nats last weekend.

The men checked in at #5 in the latest poll after running their 'B' squad (which still finished a very impressive 9th) at Pre-Nats. For comparison's sake, Gonzaga's 'A' team placed 9th in the other Pre-Nats race - the field was split into two roughly even groups - and ended up getting ranked #26 in the country as a result.

Anyway, there are some encouraging signs for the men... Michael Somers took 22nd at Pre-Nats and certainly looks like he's got the potential to contribute to the 'A' team. And we still haven't seen Gabe Arias-Sheridan, who took 47th at Nationals in 2016 when running for SMC. Assuming he will be healthy later in the season, that could really help our depth.

Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3200
Registration date : 2007-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum