2018 Season

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: 2018 Season

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm

UP Athlietics wrote:The Portland Pilots women's soccer team received a commitment from recruit Emily Collier, a left back who currently plays in the Portland Thorns Academy. Collier will join the Pilots as a freshman in the fall, announced first-year head coach Michelle French.
http://portlandpilots.com/news/2018/5/16/wsoc-recruit-emily-collier-commits-to-the-pilots.aspx

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 7420
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue May 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Recruiting is an ongoing process and French hopes to announce more additions. She says she is looking for "an impact player, and also just trying to build our numbers."

With that in mind, she went to Europe in early May to visit various youth academy programs.
UP women's soccer coach aims to alter team's 'DNA'

http://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/396750-287042-up-womens-soccer-coach-aims-to-alter-teams-dna
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:38 pm

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:42 pm

I saw that they are replacing the scoreboards at Merlo. Are they putting a video screen in by chance or just new electronic boards? Either way, itís a welcome update Iím sure.
SouthCarolinaPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:I saw that they are replacing the scoreboards at Merlo. Are they putting a video screen in by chance or just new electronic boards? Either way, itís a welcome update Iím sure.

Saw this pic on the Twitter account. Looks like no video screens, which makes sense... they would need to be pretty huge to be visible, plus it takes a lot of manpower to run them properly. Not to mention the initial cost.

Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3183
Registration date : 2007-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:07 pm

A much-needed upgrade.

I also saw this upgrade/update on twitter:

https://twitter.com/ATurfMan/status/1027023502446981121

I believe the grass field will not be available until next spring.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4146
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:51 am

Stonehouse wrote:
SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:I saw that they are replacing the scoreboards at Merlo. Are they putting a video screen in by chance or just new electronic boards? Either way, itís a welcome update Iím sure.

Saw this pic on the Twitter account. Looks like no video screens, which makes sense... they would need to be pretty huge to be visible, plus it takes a lot of manpower to run them properly. Not to mention the initial cost.

Too bad that they couldn't squeeze a third digit into the minutes field. Given the frequency of extra time, that seems more important that the numbers of fouls and saves.
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:09 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Too bad that they couldn't squeeze a third digit into the minutes field. Given the frequency of extra time, that seems more important that the numbers of fouls and saves.

Fair point for matches using international rules, but don't NCAA rules mandate that the clock counts down to zero and that the announcer verbally count down the last 10 seconds? In which case, the clock is never set for more than 45 minutes.
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3183
Registration date : 2007-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Stonehouse wrote:
SoreKnees wrote:Too bad that they couldn't squeeze a third digit into the minutes field. Given the frequency of extra time, that seems more important that the numbers of fouls and saves.

Fair point for matches using international rules, but don't NCAA rules mandate that the clock counts down to zero and that the announcer verbally count down the last 10 seconds? In which case, the clock is never set for more than 45 minutes.

I think they've been counting up to 90 minutes the last couple of years. But then they hit the limit in extra time and I don't remember how they did that.
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 pm

PilotNut wrote:I believe the grass field will not be available until next spring. †
The weather has cooperated, and the grass is in use now.

The men were practicing on the Franz grass yesterday....
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Do these fields mean anything about the long term vision for the grass and artificial fields next to Merlo? I feel like the teams and intramurals badly needed extra field space when I was there which would mean that the old fields will remain in use for the time being.
SouthCarolinaPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:14 pm

What are the rules for driving down to the Franz campus to look around? Lots of signs discouraging entry.
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 4150
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:03 pm

up7587 wrote:What are the rules for driving down to the Franz campus to look around? †Lots of signs discouraging entry.
Yeah, the signs are discouraging with all the construction that's been going on...

The best way to go is to come up Portsmouth, take a right just past the Beauchamp Center onto Strong, then take your first left onto Van Houten Ave.

As you head down the hill continue on Van Houten Ave. as it curves around to the RIGHT and becomes Van Houten Place and then eventually curves around the LEFT by the new parking lot and becomes Van Houten Court.

(I haven't been on the Franz Campus for a couple of months, but we were prohibited from going straight down the Bluff on Portsmouth to enter).
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm

PilotNut wrote:I believe the grass field will not be available until next spring. †
You are correct, originally the grass field wasn't going to be available until next spring....
Yesterday, Scott Leykam wrote:Always nice when a plan comes together ahead of schedule! Thrilled to open the new varsity soccer practice complex on the Franz River Campus this morning --- well ahead of the originally planned spring 2019 opening. Let the soccer seasons begin ..
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Time to bite the bullet:

The Pilots play 20 games (not counting exhibitions).

Lots of us are really happy to have Michelle French and her staff heading the program. †But, we need to be realistic. †Data say that before the coaching change, the Pilots were in the midst of a precipitous dive. †Data also say that it takes about eight years until a program completely "belongs" to a new coach (this works as to former coach Smith, and it will work as to new coach French).

With that in mind, I'm cautioning fans to be realistic. †I'm not going to publish here what my data say the Pilots season should be based on long term trends and recent results, but fans need to know that the "should be" season will be a test of their fandom.

What I will do, game by game, is report here whether the game result is better or poorer than what the pre-season data say it should have been. †I'll do this because it will give a sense of whether the ship is turning around. †(I'm thinking it will be turning around, but I've learned that personal hopes normally don't trump the data).

PS - The Pilots have a pre-season game tomorrow (Friday) against the University of British Columbia at 4:30 pm. †It should be fun and interesting to watch. †Hopefully, there will be a decent turn out of fans.

We are the U of P!
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1739
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Does anyone have any insight into streaming of this seasonís games including tonightís? I looked at the website and could find no information concerning streaming. The schedule only lists Live Stats, nothing about streaming. Iím out of state at present and was counting on watching the game today on my laptop.
A_Fan
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1458
Registration date : 2007-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 pm

A_Fan wrote:Does anyone have any insight into streaming of this seasonís games including tonightís? †
They'll start streaming the women's games next Friday against N. Arizona, and the men's games on August 24th against Sacramento St. †

I don't think UP has ever, or will ever, stream exhibition games in any sport because the coaches are very reluctant to give opposing coaches any more scouting information than they absolutely have to.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:53 am

Thanks for the info.
A_Fan
Playmaker