2018 Season

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: 2018 Season

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 pm

In an interesting †conference matchup, Pepperdine beat #4 Santa Clara 1-0 in Malibu.

Interesting fact: the Broncos havenít won there since 1999. †Maybe itís the narrow pitch.
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10689
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Or maybe they are distracted by the view.
A_Fan
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1466
Registration date : 2007-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:11 pm

A perfect Pilot weekend between women's soccer, men's soccer, and volleyball! cheers
SouthCarolinaPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:27 pm

I agree with the Geez, Armendariz looked up, saw Taryn, and put the ball right there for her to head it in.

This is one of the games my pre-season simulated ratings said the Pilots should win. †They did. †In terms of the simulated ratings, they have performed at least as well as those ratings said they should in every game and have performed better in a whole bunch. †I'll have more details on that later this week.

A huge weekend coming up in two weeks. †HUGE!
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1770
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:42 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:A huge weekend coming up in two weeks. †HUGE!

Actually, one of the things I've enjoyed about watching the women this season is that nothing feels HUGE to me. I had low expectations (which they have exceeded), but I still don't expect wins or even competitive performances against the top teams, and I don't expect an NCAA bid. My hope for this season was a team that was enjoyable to watch, scored some goals, and won against the weaker teams they played. They have done that and more. If they make the tournament, OK, but realistically this is not a team that is likely to win the conference or challenge for the final four, so I'm content to enjoy the football and appreciate how far they have come since last year.
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Just to put the improvement in perspective statistically,

UP Opp
Goals
2017 11 27 19 games
2018 25 12 15 games

Shots/gm
2017 8.7 15.8
2018 11.5 10.5

Record 5-13-1 vs 10-5-0

The best part of all is that the players appear to be enjoying playing soccer with no one seeming to be restricted in what they are allowed to do. So much different than recent years. They hustle all over the field, someone is always in position to receive a pass, the back line is as solid as ever and the entire team is always pushing forward.

Thank you, Michelle!

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2007-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:49 pm

ejjqb wrote:Just to put the improvement in perspective statistically,
The best part of all is that the players appear to be enjoying playing soccer with no one seeming to be restricted in what they are allowed to do. †So much different than recent years. †They hustle all over the field, someone is always in position to receive a pass, the back line is as solid as ever and the entire team is always pushing forward.

Thank you, Michelle!

Agreed!

It is striking how loudly and energetically the starters on the field cheer when Michelle's name is introduced. It's far more than the kind of moderate reaction that they have to one another's names. It like every game they are going out of their way to say "We're sooooo glad you're here! Thank you!"
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:52 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Actually, one of the things I've enjoyed about watching the women this season is that nothing feels HUGE to me. I had low expectations (which they have exceeded), but I still don't expect wins or even competitive performances against the top teams....
Exactly!!

In general, it has been so much more enjoyable for fans to have no expectations, and then shake their collective heads in wonderment as virtually the same players from last season morph into a new team this year and show improvement in teamwork, confidence and enjoyment as the season progresses.

Somehow, the games this past weekend with the cooler temps and light rain, and slick but slower surface, made for even better soccer and an even more enjoyable time.... the wins were just a bonus, IMO.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 7493
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:59 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Actually, one of the things I've enjoyed about watching the women this season is that nothing feels HUGE to me. I had low expectations (which they have exceeded), but I still don't expect wins or even competitive performances against the top teams, and I don't expect an NCAA bid. My hope for this season was a team that was enjoyable to watch, scored some goals, and won against the weaker teams they played. They have done that and more. If they make the tournament, OK, but realistically this is not a team that is likely to win the conference or challenge for the final four, so I'm content to enjoy the football and appreciate how far they have come since last year.

Absolutely right, in every respect. Two weeks of practice to come and then the ladies get to test themselves again, against two good teams.
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1770
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:19 pm

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend