Baseball 2018

Go down

Baseball 2018

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:11 am

Baseball season is right around the corner again on the Bluff. Supposedly, our freshmen recruiting class was ranked in the top 100 of some recruiting rankings, which should provide some hope for the future. In his conversation on Portside, Coach Loomis said they brought in some JC transfers to address the areas where they were weakest last year (pitching and defense). Otherwise, I think it would be fair to set the expectation that this team ought to do better than the last two seasons. 2016 started out hot during non-conference and then face-planted to last place in conference. 2017 was a step backwards record-wise with a last place finish in conference, but I think our non-conference schedule was much more difficult.

This season I think we have a more favorable non-conference schedule after we play our first three away at recent champion UCLA. We could start out 0-4 between UCLA and the one game against Oregon at home, but after that I think we should expect to see some competitive games with Saint Joseph's (from Philadelphia), CSU-Bakersfield, and UC-Irvine at home. But, don't count any of those teams out (especially the California ones). Ultimately, my expectation is "not last" in conference this year even though the preseason coaches poll will undoubtedly have us at 10th.

By the way, here is a cool feature on the hitting facility and some upgrades they have made to it.
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baseball 2018

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm

The WCC Coaches have picked us to be last (again). But, they have selected RHP Kevin Baker to the pre-season all-conference team!

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2018/2/7/bsb-baker-voted-to-the-all-wcc-preseason-team.aspx
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Considering past history, UP has earned the coaches assessment.

(Sigh)
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10570
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Does anyone have an update on the new stadium situation? The lights and turf are in; new stadium seating & facilities will make a big difference.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4052

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:45 pm

All I had to do was watch tonight's Portside for an update. Apparently a 7 figure donation was just confirmed, and they are within "shouting distance", and may be able to start construction "this fall or winter".

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4052

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

PilotNut wrote:All I had to do was watch tonight's Portside for an update.  Apparently a 7 figure donation was just confirmed, and they are within "shouting distance", and may be able to start construction "this fall or winter".  

That was really exciting to hear Leykam say. I did happen to catch him say "cover over the premium seating area." In the last published renderings, it appeared there would no longer be a roof. Hopefully, the roof is in the plans again because I think that a cover is REALLY important to enjoying baseball in the Pacific Northwest climate. I will post those photos below.

Otherwise, I am excited about the dock, boathouse, soccer field, track, and tennis projects. It's about time a running program of our level has an on campus track. I really don't understand why Track and Field isn't a WCC sport since almost every school fields a team.

SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:31 pm

UCLA swept the Pilots over the weekend, but UP gets another chance to upset a Pac-12 school, UO, on Wednesday at 2pm!

SCHEDULE CHANGE: Wednesday's home opener at Joe Etzel Field against UO is a 2 o'clock start...(originally a too cold 6pm start).
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 7108
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:UCLA swept the Pilots over the weekend, but UP gets another chance to upset a Pac-12 school, UO, on Wednesday at 2pm!

SCHEDULE CHANGE: Wednesday's home opener at Joe Etzel Field against UO is a 2 o'clock start...(originally a too cold 6pm start).

High of 39 forecast for Wednesday. That's colder than Candlestick Park in July.
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3973
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:UCLA swept the Pilots over the weekend, but UP gets another chance to upset a Pac-12 school, UO, on Wednesday at 2pm!

Thanks. I meant to post something. I had predicted we would leave LA 0-3, unfortunately. It wasn't for a lack of effort. We were getting on base, but just leaving many runners stranded out there. Oh, and we did not stop UCLA from scoring either. UCLA certainly did play like a top-15 team!
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:SCHEDULE CHANGE: Wednesday's home opener at Joe Etzel Field against UO is a 2 o'clock start...(originally a too cold 6pm start).
Oregon game on Wednesday is canceled!!

The St. Joseph series this coming weekend is in question....standby for updates is what I was told.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:32 pm

What? Why?
up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3973
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

It's been attempted....

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Hang loose (or is it tight?) baseball fans, the 4-game series against St. Joseph's now begins at 11am tomorrow (Friday) with a double-header (second game at 2:30pm), followed by single-games on Saturday (11am) and Sunday 12pm)...but of course it all depends upon the weather....

http://portlandpilots.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:22 am

Well, it's not as if any of us were going to go Etzel Field and sit on the cold aluminum bleachers in sub-freezing weather this morning, but the game time and schedule has once again changed.

One game today scheduled to begin at 1 o clock. Two games scheduled tomorrow beginning at 11, and one final game on Sunday beginning at 12.

All games on the W.tv.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Stopped by the game today for a couple of innings and nearly froze, but witnessed four UP homeruns... couldn't believe the ball would fly like that in temperatures near freezing. It's not that way and golf!

Final score was 8-0.

Also surprised there were no errors in the game. I guess the guys actually had some feeling in their hands.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum