Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017-2018 Conference Schedule

+12
Stonehouse
Dean Murdoch
bullwinkle
MesaPilot1
PilotNut
StudentPilot
wrv
ExpatPilot
NoPoNeighbor
Sound Voltex
DoubleDipper
bobtcat2
16 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2017-2018 Conference Schedule - Page 5 Empty Re: 2017-2018 Conference Schedule

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm

The offense is struggling big time, aside from Shaver who is 4-5 shooting at the half. We're again getting embarrassed on the defensive glass. GU had 11 offense rebounds in the first half. Two turnovers on under-the-basket inbounds plays.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Watching this game tells me a few things:

Our youth and inexperience is showing. Our team that beat Gonzaga in 2014 had a starting lineup of one senior, three juniors, and one freshmen. Our lineup today was two freshmen, two sophomores, and one senior. We then played two more freshmen, two more sophomores, one junior, and our one other senior. Young team with time to learn from this and to feel angry about it! The announcers felt pretty confident that we are going to get where we want to be in a few years.

Working on my rant post. Need some time to let it ferment. Feels a little angry right now. It's also at least three and a half pages single-spaced so far. Maybe I will scrap it.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:
Working on my rant post. Need some time to let it ferment. Feels a little angry right now. It's also at least three and a half pages single-spaced so far. Maybe I will scrap it.

Rant! Rant! Rant! -------E
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Hard to blame you for ranting. This team seems to be going backward.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 am

Interview with Hugh Hogland / Tahirou Diabate (in Japanese, Google Translate link below):

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bmarketing.jp%2Fcolumn%2Fcolumn-detail%2Fcolumn06.html&edit-text=&act=url
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:26 am

bobtcat2 wrote:Hard to blame you for ranting.  This team seems to be going backward.

I was frustrated last night too, but this is not what I took away from the game.  I took away that gonzaga is really really good.  Like final 4 good.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Interview with Hugh Hogland / Tahirou Diabate:
Thanks for sharing.

Hugh was on the bench in Spokane last evening, but headed to Japan after the game.

It turns out Tahirou ("D"), who speaks fluent Japanese, was the one who, upon discovering Hugh carries a Japanese passport, got the ball rolling for an invitation for Hugh to spend a couple of days with the national team.

With the 2020 Summer Olympic Games being staged in Japan, it would be quite an honor for Hugh to be on the team.

BTW, despite his name, Tahirou apparently has no Japanese heritage, and is not shown as part of the Mali National Team....yet.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:BTW, despite his name, Tahirou apparently has no Japanese heritage, and is not shown as part of the Mali National Team....yet.

Because when they were high school kids, Rui Hachimura and Tahirou Diabate had the sizzle, the steak, the jam and the bread.

And they were big in Japan, at least as big as the game gets there.

Here, they’re just part of the magical international melting pot – it’s more of a vat, really – that is college basketball these days, Hachimura budding into a star at Gonzaga in his second year, Diabate finding his way in freshman fits and starts at Portland.

Still, to be on the same floor again, but 5,000 miles from home, took some getting used to Thursday night – at least for Hachimura.

“That was fun,” he acknowledged. “Different.”

And it came with one big bonus.

“He speaks Japanese well,” said Hachimura, happy for the opportunity to converse in his native language. “He’s a cool guy.”

For Diabate, it was nothing nearly that smooth – but it’s that kind of year. Portland’s lack of size all but forced him into the starting lineup early and he was overwhelmed in the PK80 tournament against teams like North Carolina. He responded last weekend with games of 13 and 15 points against San Diego and Santa Clara, but his hard work in 31 minutes Thursday produced just two points and five rebounds – and a lesson.

“They crash the boards,” he said of the Zags. “If we’re going to think about beating Gonzaga, we’re going to have to work more on boxing out after the shot because they got too many offensive rebounds.”

But to see a familiar face in the postgame handshake line some 5,000 miles from home might have been a little salve.

A native of Mali, Diabate’s lived with his family in France and the Canary Islands, as well, and is sort of Portland’s answer to Ronny Turiaf – speaking five languages (Bambara, English, Spanish, French and Japanese) and being something of a social magnet.

He and Hachimura were a year apart in high school – Rui winning three straight Japan high school championships with Meisei in the Tohoku region, Diabate averaging 31 points a game – and 101 in one – for Teikyo Nagaoka in the Niigata prefecture maybe three hours away. They played against each other a couple of times before Hachimura left for GU – and Diabate said his game hasn’t changed much.

“I wasn’t surprised to see him out there driving and pump faking and doing all his stuff,” Diabate said. “But he’s built a better body. He’s gotten stronger.”

Michaelson said he thought having Diabate in the other lineup “resonated with Rui and maybe dialed him in a little more. There was something on the line.”

Because they’re big in Japan.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/11/john-blanchette-rui-hachimura-finds-friendly-face-/#/0
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Time to try shaking up the starting lineup? Bench pretty much bailed us out this game. Pacific looked more like a team than us tonight.

Post game radio with Kramer: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0PyfBmMjPxU
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm

It is certainly frustrating knowing that both of our basketball teams have not won a WCC game yet. I was unable to watch this game. But, looking at the schedule, we probably won't see a WCC win until February 1st.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Well I really thought they were due for a win but when your starting 5 has 16 points it's tough. This has the look of 2-16 in conference now.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm still confused.
Franklin, Josh, and Phil average 34 minutes apiece in the game, shot 7 for 29, had 6 fouls, and 4 turnovers. While Phil had 16 rebounds, we needed points, not rebounds much of the game. In the meantime, Rashad didn't jplay. Maybe he would have contributed, maybe not, but we know exactly what his contribution was at the end of the bench.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am

A bunch of us returned to school early to get moved into the dorms, watch the Pilots play on Saturday night and start partying.....two out of three of our endeavors were pretty successful.

Actually, most of us thought our guys played pretty well against a team that looked at least 10 years older than most of our guys.  

On Saturday morning a few of us went over to Lewis-Clark to hang out and ended watching part of the Portland State vs. Montana basketball game in the afternoon.  UM won because they had one guard score 39 points, and they made 33 out 47 foul shots!.  

I don't have any updates about the players, but our Dance Team member from Hawaii will be missing this semester as she studies in London.  drunken
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am

PSU was 10-3 preseason with a challenging schedule. 2-3 in conference.
Montana was 7-5 preseason, now 6-0 in conference. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:26 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Question: Is Austin back?
Answer from coach: He's back, but won't be on the bench as we work through some issues.
Still no sign of Stone at the games... I'm guessing we'll now have another scholarship to work with for next season.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Division I basketball coaches are judged by wins and losses, and so far, Terry Porter's numbers don't indicate a lot of progress.

Porter's Portland Pilots are 6-13 overall and 0-6 in West Coast Conference play after Saturday's 66-54 home loss to Damon Stoudamire's Pacific Tigers.

In Porter's first season on The Bluff, the Pilots went 11-22, struggling through the second half of the season after losing senior point guard Alec Wintering to injury.

The former Trail Blazers great brought in eight recruits to join redshirt sons Franklin and Malcolm Porter and holdovers Philipp Hartwich, D'Marques Tyson and Joseph Smoyer.

Hartwich and Tyson, both seniors, are the only players with significant D-1 experience, and the results thus far have shown it's a cast not yet ready for prime-time play this season.

"Our guys are working hard," Terry Porter said after the loss to Pacific. "We have young guys, and we haven't been winning close games. That would change things a lot. There were two or three games in conference where we were right there and our youth hurt us."

The Pilots have been blown out in three of their WCC defeats — 69-45 to Brigham Young, 84-61 to San Francisco and 103-57 to Gonzaga. They were close in an 81-74 overtime loss to San Diego and a 70-68 setback to Santa Clara.

Portland starts a pair of freshmen — 6-1 point guard JoJo Walker from Puerto Rico and 6-9 power forward Tahirou Diabate from Japan — along with the 7-2 Hartwich, 6-4 sophomore Franklin Porter and 6-7 small forward Josh McSwiggan from England.

Hartwich — the school record-holder for career blocked shots — is an outstanding rebounder and defender who had 16 boards against Pacific. He has little offensive game, though, and not much help from teammates to provide an offensive post presence.

"We don't have the interior offensive punch we need," Porter said. "Phil has had some growth, but he needs to continue to get better in that area."

The Pilots shot only .388 from the field, including 5 for 24 from 3-point range, yet hung in with Pacific for more than a half. Malcolm Porter's 3 from just shy of midcourt as the buzzer sounded brought Portland to within 31-29 at intermission. The Tigers used a 13-2 run to forge a 44-33 lead early in the second, and the Pilots got no closer than four points the rest of the way.

"We struggled to score," Porter said. "We just didn't get in a good rhythm offensively. We did a good job defensively. It was good enough to win."

Portland is tied with Pepperdine at the bottom of the WCC, and Terry Porter will depend on development from his young players to make a move up the standings the rest of the season.

McSwiggan — who reminds much of Mike Dunleavy Jr. in his game and the way he carries himself on the court — came into the game shooting .476 from 3-point range but was off target against Pacific, finishing with five points and going 0 for 5 from behind the 3-point line in his 37 minutes.

Point guards Walker and Marcus Shaver Jr. — the latter a 6-2 freshman — have plenty of get up and go and work hard at the defensive end, but must improve their perimeter shot.

The Porter brothers — Franklin a sophomore, Malcolm a freshman — are strong and excellent with the drive to the basket, but also lack proficiency from range.

The Pilots will lose only Hartwich and Tyson — the latter a 6-5 guard who was 4 for 6 on 3-pointers and led his team with 14 points against Pacific — after this season. They have signed Josh Phillips, a 6-8, 190-pound prep senior from Huntington Beach, California, as an incoming freshman next season, and have one more scholarship to give.

A dozen more WCC games, along with the conference tournament, remain on Portland's schedule. Wins will be difficult to come by. Terry Porter is going to require patience, and he'll need his players to show some, too, as they battle through the adversity they'll continue to face the rest of this season.

"I'm pleased with the effort we're getting," the UP coach said. "The challenge for us is to continue to get better and to eliminate some of the mistakes when you have youth and guys who haven't played a lot of Division I basketball. We have to keep working so we can execute better and get wins."

https://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/383905-272415-young-pilots-progress-will-take-time-
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Coach Porter recently shared that he too was concerned that a number of the players are beginning to show fatigue (especially the freshmen) as the season wears on, and he plans to go the bench sooner and more often to mitigate some of that fatigue.  

When asked why Rashaad (RJ) wasn't playing, he didn't really answer why, but he did say he plans to play him more going forward.  He also indicated that he was looking to start RJ against USD as a way of "shaking things up" a little, but then RJ suffered an ankle sprain while working out last Sunday and his status is day-to-day.

Not sure what is going down with Austin, but he is not accompanying the team to California for the upcoming games against USD and LMU.  Coach did say they would reevaluate his status upon the team's return, but I can't say I was very optimistic given TP's tone and body language. Depending upon the nature of Austin's transgression, it could be that he'll have to meet a student disciplinary board....but that is total conjecture on my part.  I like Austin, and from what I know of him, he's a really good guy and good student...I just hope that whatever they work out, he can move on with his education even if he doesn't come back to play.

Reminder for those in the Portland area: the games against USD and LMU on Thursday and Saturday are both at 7 o'clock, and both games are live on ROOT TV.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 pm

1-6
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Huh, I never thought they could commit that many turnovers and win. Nice job to stay with it and take advantage of the openings USD left them. Especially after falling behind late.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:1-6
Mrs. DD and I were thinking the same ....but of course we'd just shared a bottle of Pinot Gris.  Rolling Eyes

The guys are going into this game with renewed energy and confidence.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 pm

A win's a win!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:1-6

Dean Murdoch > bobtcat2 for keeper of the crystal ball.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Clearly our team responded well to all the men in uniform behind the hoop. Let's pack the Chiles Center rafters with the Oregon National Guard for the rest of our games! Wink

Great to see this team finally gut one out at the end, and on the road against a good team no less. Exciting to see the young guys get this experience - Diabate played well down the stretch, JoJo and Marcus hit some clutch FTs (and missed some too, to be fair). Clearly we need to take better care of the ball, but I cant help but be encouraged that they got it done.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Pilots only played 7 guys.  No Rashad (the ankle thing?), no Malcolm, no Smoyer.  Highlights:
- good shooting percentages: same number of total baskets with one more 3P as USD, on 14 fewer shots (due to 17 TOs).
- making FTs (most of them Rolling Eyes ) in the closing minutes.
- good defense. The PSU transfer Piniero went off for 26 points, the rest of their team had 23 combined.  They were cold from distance, and the Pilots didn't let them work it out to get better.  Williams, Carter and Wright had 56 points at Chiles, and only 17 tonight.
- not fouling, only 11 of them.  USD only shot 9 FT attempts, including 3 on the late Diabate foul that looked like all ball. FTs made the difference in the final score.
- Good team rebounding; everybody had at least two.
- 7 steals and 5 blocks, offsetting some of those maddening TOs.

Areas to keep working on:
- only 6 assists. USD had 15.
- did I mention TOs yet?

The Pilots only made one basket in the last 8 minutes.  But I really liked the play late when the Pilots needed it, with two minutes to go.  The 6'-2" Carter was on Diabate, Pilots got him the ball and he backed Carter down for a layup to retake the lead 50-48.  Clutch execution.  After that basket, USD missed on their 3P shots, Pilots rebounded, and made their FTs to seal it.

Also, congrats to Dean on the prognostication.

Last edited by up7587 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Post game radio with Josh.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0P7Q0vxqVWk
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter