Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever

+7
DoubleDipper
Susie Que
Geezaldinho
ExpatPilot
Woodless 2.0
aleppiek
Stonehouse
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever Empty Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Check it out!

Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever DMXDGfLUMAAb2WT

The USTFCCCA website is down at the moment (must be all the crazed Pilot fans trying to see the poll), but the full poll should be at this link: https://t.co/52NRiL503n

Crazy that two WCC teams are in the top three. Has this ever happened in any other sport? Women's soccer seems like the only other possibility.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever Empty Re: Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever

Post by aleppiek Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:56 pm

That is pretty impressive. Not a bad jump after the solid weekend showing.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever Empty Re: Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever

Post by Woodless 2.0 Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Do you guys know if they will be doing a "race watch" for the NCAA championships at Chiles like they did in 2014? I think I'll be in PDX that weekend.

The threshold for UPXC rankings has always seemed to be 4th in the past. Nice to finally break on through. The 1993 and 1996 Pilot teams were ranked very high at one point or another during the season. I don't think the USTFCCCA records go back that far.

1996 finished 10th and 1993 finished 12th

Both teams were pretty damn good.

Woodless 2.0
Woodless 2.0
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Woodless 2.0 wrote:Do you guys know if they will be doing a "race watch" for the NCAA championships at Chiles like they did in 2014? I think I'll be in PDX that weekend.

I would imagine the athletic department will probably organize something. And if they don't have plans, I'm sure if we asked them they would do it. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:38 pm

This is awesome news! Does anyone know how this team stacks up to the third place finish squad from a few years ago?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:This is awesome news! Does anyone know how this team stacks up to the third place finish squad from a few years ago?

The 2014 team was ranked 6th at the end of September and 5th by this time in the season after the Wisconsin meet.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Susie Que Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Here’s hoping the team does well Friday at Regionals. My brother ran against Jeff Thies in high school. He said Jeff was gutty and a cool guy. Go Pilots!

Susie Que
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:06 pm

In the meantime... Pilots XC just signed a quite a recruit: Justin Hazell, who has the 3rd-fastest 3200 time in the country among his class!

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2017/11/9/pilots-sign-nationally-ranked-3200m-junior.aspx

Gotta love this quote from Coach Conner:

"Mile for mile, Justin might be the top prospect in the nation," said head coach Rob Conner. "His upside is through the roof. What we love about Justin is that in addition to his athletic ability he is a humble and modest young man who wants to contribute to our team goal of winning a national championship."
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Something tells me Coach Conner won’t retire until he has climbed the mountain. I love that attitude. We are so lucky to have him. I am definitely excited to see where this team finishes at Regionals and Nationals. We seem to be trending ever upward.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Haven't seen anything yet, but I understand our Pilots Men X-C team is the West Region Champion after the meet in Seattle today.

They placed five runners in the Top-30, including Roudolff-Levisse finishing first and Thies finishing second.

Thies, Hauger, and Roudolff-Levisse win all All-Region honors.

USF won the women's title by edging out Stanford.  I don't know where the UP women finished, but Taryn Rawlings earned all-region honors with a 14th place finish.

Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever Rawlin10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:40 pm

http://www.ustfccca.org/2017/11/featured/list-of-automatic-qualifiers-to-ncaa-di-cross-country-championships

That site confirms UP men are the West Region champs, topping UW.  Emmanuel Roudolff-Levisse (1st), Jeff Thies (2nd) and Nick Hauger (4th) were the top finishers.

The team finish order was:
1 Portland 63
2 Washington 65
3 Stanford 85
4 Oregon 149
5 UCLA 164

Pilots finished 1, 2, 4, 27, 29, 36 and 45.  https://xc.tfrrs.org/results/xc/13415.html

The women finished 10th.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:55 pm

FYI, BYU finished 3rd in the Mountain Region, behind Colorado and New Mexico.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:22 pm

up7587 wrote:FYI, BYU finished 3rd in the Mountain Region, behind Colorado and New Mexico.
That was their women. Their men's team finished 2nd to Northern Arizona.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:37 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
up7587 wrote:FYI, BYU finished 3rd in the Mountain Region, behind Colorado and New Mexico.
That was their women. Their men's team finished 2nd to Northern Arizona.

Thanks for the correction.

Back to top Go down

Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever Empty Men's X-C now at #4

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:17 pm

The Pilots just moved back into the Top-5 at #4 in the nation, the highest spot they've held this late in the season since 2009.

1. Northern Arizona
2. BYU
3. Syracuse
4. UP
5. Colorado

The NCAA Division I Cross-Country Championships are in Louisville this coming Saturday....women at 7:30 and men at 8:30 in the morning!!  You'll be able to watch live video streaming on the UP Athletics website, I think.

http://www.ustfccca.org/2017/11/featured/2017-ncaa-di-mens-cross-country-national-coaches-poll-week-7
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Official Watch Party for XC Nationals
Saturday, Nov. 18
7:30 a.m.
Pilot House
Free breakfast and coffee!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:32 am

2nd place! Best ever program finish!

Men's XC places #2 at Nationals!!! Highest finish ever DO7ebrLX0AEzdpW?format=jpg&name=large

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Amazing...all the experts were touting this as a shoot-out between NAU and BYU.

Top Team Finishes:
1. Northern Arizona, 74
2. Portland, 127
3. BYU, 165
4. Stanford, 221
5. Arkansas, 259
6. Oregon, 274
7. Iowa State, 279
8. Colorado, 294
9. Colorado State, 318
10. Michigan, 328

.....an excellent showing for the WCC as the USF women also finished second to the winner, New Mexico.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 pm

I’m super proud of what the team did today. But, I maintain that I think RC wants it all and won’t quit until he does. There have been some sour grapes in the Track/XC community about us “tanking” the WCC meet in favor of the NCAAs.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:01 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:I’m super proud of what the team did today. But, I maintain that I think RC wants it all and won’t quit until he does. There have been some sour grapes in the Track/XC community about us “tanking” the WCC meet in favor of the NCAAs.
The couple of runners I spoke with this past week freely admitted that the WCC and West Region meets were not their focus, but the National Meet was the prize they were after...

I haven't heard any sour grapes about "tanking" from anyone in the UP running community! Razz

I just spoke to someone who was at the meet, apparently it was quite gusty (at least 20 mph) and the meet was started early due to the forecast of thunderstorms and associated lightning and even more gusty winds.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:15 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:There have been some sour grapes in the Track/XC community about us “tanking” the WCC meet in favor of the NCAAs.

The "sour grapes" have all come from two guys at LetsRun... here they are interviewing Rob after the race today, and I think RC does a pretty good job of shutting down their BS:

As if finishing 2nd at the WCC meet to the #2 team in the country (while beating another nationally ranked team) is "tanking."

Not only has Portland XC had a long tradition of giving other guys an opportunity at the WCC meet, this year was a unique situation in which BYU was practically unbeatable in a dual-meet situation and UP had a few guys who were on a restricted training regiment (in order to help optimize their performance at regionals and nationals).

Those LetsRun guys are just being complete jerks. Just read their Nationals recap from today and see how many times they mention that BYU beat Portland at WCCs. It's ridiculous: http://www.letsrun.com/news/2017/11/favorites-justyn-knight-northern-arizona-deliver-win-2017-ncaa-cross-country-titles/
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:06 pm

It's ok to change the thread title now, Stoney Very Happy Very Happy

I don't recall UP ever running all it's top men in a WCC meet. Until BYU came in, we won conference anyway.

If its sneaky or something, maybe BYU should be asking themselves why they don't do it.

They got WCC championship. Its what they focussed on. They should be happy.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Just got around to posting, I was too busy trolling letsrun. So stoked to see the Pilots dominate at nationals!
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:It's ok to change the thread title now, Stoney Very Happy Very Happy

Done! Smile

Pretty amazing that the men's XC team hasn't finished lower than 13th at nationals over the past 10 (!!!) years, with the exception of 2015 when they didn't qualify after graduating all their best runners.

And our average placement over that time is 8th. Think about that... this team has consistently been a top ten program nationally for a decade. That's pretty darn incredible.

2008 7th
2009 13th
2010 13th
2011 8th
2012 12th
2013 7th
2014 3rd
2016 13th
2017 2nd

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2017/11/18/mens-cross-country-pilots-hit-podium-with-runner-up-finish-at-ncaa-championships.aspx
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:24 pm

The threads that seems to run through this team are their love for each other and for Coach Conner, and  their appreciation for Rob's giving ALL of them the opportunity to compete.

I think all of us who know Rob can totally understand why he's admired by his runners.

Apparently there's going to be a welcoming reception for the runners and coaches at the Chiles Center Plaza tomorrow (Sunday) at approximately 2:45 (hard to guess the probability of a connecting flight to PDX on a Sunday being on time). For those of us who cannot make it to the plaza at that time, I hope all the runners will be introduced at halftime of the MBB game vs OIT tomorrow evening.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next