Is it time to consider new leadership?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Is it time to consider new leadership?

Post by Susie Que on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:16 pm

With the loses to Pacific and Saint Mary's, picked by the WCC coaches to finish last and next to last, respectively, Portland's first steps into conference play is looking like the start of a sad death march.

Through Sunday, the 3-8-1 record is the poorest start since the 1983 team finished 2-11-3, an all-time worst record safe for at least a year.

Susie Que
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:49 am

Can anyone who went to last night’s game give me a sense of the vibe around the coaches and players? Urgent? Desperate? Calm and collected?
SouthCarolinaPilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 pm

They seemed calm and collected. They seemed to play with much more intensity than we have seen all season. Several players who up to now have not seen much playing time got a chance to play and gave good accounts of themselves. For long stretches of the game they held their own with Santa Clara. Unfortunately the final score was disappointing, however I thought they made a significant step in the right direction with this game. I'm looking forward to Sunday's game, also looking forward to today's Thorns game.
A_Fan
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1442
Registration date : 2007-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:42 am

A_Fan wrote:They seemed calm and collected.  They seemed to play with much more intensity than we have seen all season.  Several players who up to now have not seen much playing time got a chance to play and gave good accounts of themselves.  For long stretches of the game they held their own with Santa Clara.  Unfortunately the final score was disappointing, however I thought they made a significant step in the right direction with this game.  I'm looking forward to Sunday's game, also looking forward to today's Thorns game.
I would agree. Possession was relatively equal. 2 or 3 Pilot shots off the woodwork in the first half. A breakaway goal in the second half. The Broncos showed more skill and creativity in the final third--to me, that was the difference in the game.
eProf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2008-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:50 pm

SCU was the better team, but I admired the grit the young Pilots showed trying to dig out of their 2-0 halftime deficit.

There was good energy in the stands coming from adults and soccer youths alike, many of whom were probably there because each of the UP players wrote a note to season ticket holders asking them to buy pink t-shirts they had designed in partnership with Portland Gear. They sold out early, but there should be more available for all future women's games at Merlo in October.  All proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.

My lengthy note came from Rachel Lusby....without it, I would not have known of the pink shirts.
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6742
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 pm

SoreKnees wrote:
Corrado Kid wrote:
There is little doubt this will not be a successful season. The only question now is how bad it'll be.

There's one more question, which speaks to the title of this thread: "How will UP officials react?" The historical record in the table clearly shows that they have been extremely patient with the current staff. Extremely.

Thought I'd add this year's line to my chart from above, even though we're only four games in:

Year  Fin   Team    Pts  G  PPG    GD
2007    1        8    21   7  3.00   +19
2008    1        8    21   7  3.00   +20
2009    1        8    21   7  3.00   +32
2010    1        8    19   7  2.71   +11
2011    5        9    12   8  1.50   +4
2012    2        9    17   8  2.13   +12
2013    1       10    24   9  2.67   +12
2014    5       10    13   9  1.44   -2
2015    5       10    12   9  1.33   +2
2016    6       10    10   9  1.11   -7
2017   10      10     0    4  0.00   -7
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2007-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Susie Que on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 am

In a battle between two teams at the bottom of the conference standings, the double-overtime loss to San Francisco was the first ever for the Pilots since the two schools began playing in 1986.

Susie Que
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:06 pm

Susie Que wrote:In a battle between two teams at the bottom of the conference standings, the double-overtime loss to San Francisco was the first ever for the Pilots since the two schools began playing in 1986.
Some of us stayed until the bitter end, but some like the Villa Drum Squad and other students, didn't even show up to support their classmates.....sad. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6742
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Some of us stayed until the bitter end, but some like the Villa Drum Squad and other students, didn't even show up to support their classmates.....sad. Evil or Very Mad

Neither here nor there, but I noticed that the Drum Squad hasn't posted anything on their Facebook or Instagram pages yet this season. They are active on Twitter still, but it seems to me like that's probably the least-impactful of the social media options when it comes to spreading the word among students.
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3076
Registration date : 2007-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Some of us stayed until the bitter end, but some like the Villa Drum Squad and other students, didn't even show up to support their classmates.....sad. Evil or Very Mad

To be fair, there wasn’t much of a showing from the drum squad for the Men’s most important game of the year.

Kudos to the few who did show ( I counted 8 at the Anthem), but it doesn’t say much for the overall dorm support.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10460
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum