2017 Volleyball

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2017 Volleyball

Post by DoubleDipper on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:49 pm

"Official" tennis and baseball games on campus this weekend, but there are also "unofficial" 1 hour volleyball matches being played as part of the spring season:

Saturday, April 8 at University of Portland
9:00 a.m. – UP vs. PSU
• 10:10 a.m. – OSU vs. WSU
11:20 a.m. – UP vs. OSU
• 12:30 p.m. – WSU vs. PSU
• 1:40 p.m. – PSU vs. OSU
2:50 p.m. – WSU vs. UP 
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6892
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017 Volleyball

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Sat May 27, 2017 6:39 pm

I was meaning to post this. I think we have a lot to look forward to this fall. This volleyball team will be worth following/discussing.
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Sun May 28, 2017 11:16 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:I was meaning to post this. I think we have a lot to look forward to this fall. This volleyball team will be worth following/discussing.

Agreed! I'm looking forward to this season as the volleyball program is another Pilot program on the rise... it will be interesting to see where the team is predicted to finish in the WCC this fall. It is not out of the question to say that the Pilots will be competing for the WCC title!

There are lots of pre-conference home matches, so I am hopeful the team gets off to a strong start heading into WCC play.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4018
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Sound Voltex
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2017-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:41 am

Having not played the game, I've really never been a fan of volleyball, but now having met some of the players and the coach and watched them practice, I think they will be very competitive on the court and deserve our support....

StudentPilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2016-10-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm going to be an optimist and suggest that it's time we start to *hope* for some post season volleyball. Next season at the latest with the trend Crouch has this team on.
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:35 am

The Pilots were picked to finish 3rd in the WCC coaches poll, behind #10 BYU and#22 USD!  Shocked  This has to be, by far, the highest the Pilots have ever been picked, and is just so impressive when you consider the strength of the conference overall and how dramatically the program has improved under Coach Crouch.   Let's hope the team successfully handles the pressure of expectation!

Hannah Troutman (OH, Sr) earned pre-season All-WCC honors after finishing on the all-conference team last season.

The team kicks off the 2017 campaign today (Friday 8/25, 3pm Pacific) vs. Abilene Christian @ Wyoming.  The first home match will be next Friday (9/1) at 2pm vs. Fresno Sate.  Hmmm, that may be worth a late lunch/early start to the holiday weekend...

WCC Volleyball still has the travel partners, so circle 11/9/17 and 11/11/17 on your calendar as the dates that USD and BYU visit Chiles Center... it would be great to see some strong fan turnout to support the explosive growth of this program!

GO PILOTS!

2017 WCC Preseason Volleyball Coaches Poll
Team (First Place Vote)   Pts.
1.BYU - (9) 81
2. San Diego - (1) 72
3. Portland  - 58
4. Pacific - 50
5. Santa Clara - 48
6. Pepperdine - 47
7. Saint Mary's - 35
8. Loyola Marymount - 28
9. Gonzaga - 21
10. San Francisco - 14

2017 All-WCC Preseason Volleyball Team
Name (Institution) Yr., Pos.
Kaity Edwards (San Diego) Jr, MB
Ashlyn Fleming (Pacific) So. MB
Kristen Gengenbacher (San Diego) Sr. S
Jasmine Gross (Pepperdine) So. MB
Lindsey Knudsen (Saint Mary's) Jr. OH
Mary Lake (BYU) So. LIB
Kirsten Mead (Santa Clara) Sr. S
McKenna Miller (BYU) So. OH
Savannah Slattery (Loyola Marymount) So. OH
Hannah Troutman (Portland) Sr. OH

Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:31 am

A good start to the season by the Pilots, with 2 sweeps, yesterday over Abilene Christian (25-21, 25-18, 25-15) and this morning over South Dakota (25-17, 25-23, 25-17). The competition steps up a notch tonight, with a 6pm match vs. tournament host Wyoming, who also swept USD. The Cowgirls were selected to finish 4th in the Mountain West pre-season poll.

Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Noticed you switched the forum title from "Other Pilot Athletics." Nice.

Volleyball might be the most intriguing sport this Fall on the Bluff. I'm definitely following their matches. Having to take on San Diego and BYU back-to-back is pretty rough as far as WCC schedules go.
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Pilots win 3-2 over Wyoming (18-25, 25-20, 23-25, 29-27, 15-9)!  After falling behind early in the 4th set 2-8, a crucial changed call via video replay to the Pilots' favor swings the score to 3-7 and the Pilots gained the momentum from there and won the 4th set 29-27, fighting off a Wyoming match point at 25-26.  The Pilots cruised in the 5th set to win the match and the tournament championship.  Congrats Pilots!  

Next up: the North Harbor Marriott Invitational at Chiles Center next weekend.  The Pilots host Fresno State on Friday at 2pm.

Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:19 am

I actually decided to watch some of the play. I turned off the video after they were down in the 4th set--watched them lose the 3rd set. The momentum was definitely on Wyoming's side. Quite a comeback.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 980
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Ranked (!) by someone for the first time ever (even if it is just a mid-major poll)! So cool! In addition, the volleyball team is getting well deserved TV exposure via the new deal with CSN (which hasn't been mentioned on here yet and is really awesome! Weekly Portsides!). I don't care who the ranking comes from, that is huge, huge, huge for our team considering that they were 0-forgettable a few years ago. Congrats, girls!
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Very disappointing match tonight against Portland State. Did not play well and got swept 3-0. Among the problems were:

• Many service errors, including by normally reliable servers.
  • Timing on quick sets was off all night.
  • Blocking continues to need improvement.
  • Uncharacteristically, quite a few net violations.

The team overall seemed out of synch.

Hopefully, things will go better on Friday.
eProf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I think the volleyball season has trended somewhat downward since the start of WCC play, but they are a very young team with some talented seniors. Heck, I don't think I have ever had expectations of our volleyball team to be disappointed about, so this is definitely still a good thing! Today, we signed three new players including one who garnered All-American honors. I think good things are ahead for this team!

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2017/11/8/blevins-ristvedt-and-sester-to-join-pilots-next-fall.aspx
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthCarolinaPilot on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 am

With last night's win over Saint Mary's our record sits at 15-13 and two games to play. We have secured a 0.500 record at the very least. That still has to rank up there with the best of Pilot volleyball seasons.
SouthCarolinaPilot
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:26 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:With last night's win over Saint Mary's our record sits at 15-13 and two games to play. We have secured a 0.500 record at the very least. That still has to rank up there with the best of Pilot volleyball seasons.

Certainly! And our RPI is at 123 right now, and was before the SMC win. Last year's final RPI was 98, with a final record of 17-13.

Though I'm sure the team would have liked more WCC victories this year, but the WCC is so strong in volleyball that it is always going to be a dogfight. It was absolutely still a strong season that is a remarkable improvement from just a few years ago. Next step in the growth of the program is figuring out what it takes to regularly finish in the top-half of the conference.
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3105
Registration date : 2007-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum